Backpacking/Hiking Thread

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So I did not see a thread about this although perhaps i missed it. I have been camping a few times and i really enjoyed it. I always end up borrowing people's stuff when i do it because i don't have my own. So for christmas i got some basic stuff (tent and sleeping bag) to help get me started.

Now i'm going to buy a backpack.

Are any of you all backpackers? I had a couple questions about what size bag I should get. I went to REI and they were cool. I explained to them i plan on mostly doing overnight stays maybe a weekend stay and the women there said if i got a bag in the 60-70 liter range i should be good. She said i could go smaller too with the way gear is so light these days.

now i talked to my friends who backpack and they all have bigger packs in the 90 liter range.

It seems these packs are generally more advised (by the person at REI and multiple websites i saw) for 5 day trips etc.

If i have a bigger bag and i have less stuff in it won't make it unconfortable will it? I mean if i get the bigger one it won't be a bad thing right?

Right now I think i'm going to get a Kelty bag. Either their Coyote which is 78 liters or their Red Cloud wich is 109 liters. I am leaning towards this because i found a site selling them for a good price and from my research they seem to be good packs. I found the Coyote for 100 bucks and the Red Cloud for 130.
For that price if being bigger is not a bad thing i'll go ahead and spend the extra 30 bucks so if i ever do want to go on a longer stay I'll have the pack to do it

So Any advice ?
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you should always buy gear that:

a) suits your usage
    b) fits you

if you are doing things solo - you'll need a bigger pack because you have to be self-sufficient and you can't split the load ... the way many packs are designed now - they are often expandable ... you'll want to get the stays fitted to your back and body type ...

packs are generally designed to be filled - having said that - just because you have 100 L doesn't mean you need to fill it up either and it shouldn't other than alter your weight distribution affect you so much if you put less stuff in it ...

you'll also want to consider where'd you like to go with this activity ... i'm not a huge fan of overnights as you spend more time routing to your trails than enjoying it ... if you do end up doing the multi-day trips - you'd want gear to support that ...

and although i know you've been given a sleeping bag and tent already ... if i was soloing on overnights - i'd probably just pack a large daypack with a bivy and a small tarp instead of doing a full tent ...

good luck and learn your stuff ...
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    not an expert here, but as long as you can carry the pack fully loaded for about 10hrs straight, you should be set. also, the most important items to shop for in hiking is boots and socks. they make all the difference, but keep in mind the time of year in which youll be hiking i.e. waterproofing, insulation, etc. congrats on your journey!
    I love to turn you on
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    also, the most important items to shop for in hiking is boots and socks. they make all the difference, but keep in mind the time of year in which youll be hiking i.e. waterproofing, insulation, etc.

Absolutely. In fact, keep this fresh in your mind when planning for a trip...keeping your feet dry is essential. Also, my own personal advice...which I constantly butt heads on with my girlfriend, is take only what you know you need to use...anything else is really just kind of a waste of space.

If you're ever searching for a portable cooking device, check out the Jetboil...we love ours, however it's ideal mainly for the dehydrated meals...but those are my first choice of a food source when I go on a journey...they make quite a bit, and they're pretty wholesome.

Have fun, be safe, and keep your wits about you. :D You've got some FUN wilderness to explore out there in the South.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Travel to the Apostle Islands in summertime- wonderful backpack island experience for a beginner
    if you are lucky enough to be there in August for the meteor shower- don't set your sleeping bag on fire keeping warm on the beach while viewing the nightsky though :)
    and Door County Penninsula Park pretty area- if you walk out for cocktails at the local pub and get shit faced don't forget your flashlite - its really dark in the woods- but have your doggies with you to lead the way back to camp.
    Thats the extent of my expertise- that and pack light.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I wish I could get my husband into hiking and backpacking, but probably won't happen. When it is a "group" thing with our friends he will hike, but go with the group that takes the shortest route. I love it, but probably won't be doing any overnight trips by myself.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Thank you all for all the advice. I apprecaite it and i'm looking forward to putting it to use :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I was born and raised in a backpack, Brer Fox. I can make a 40 pound pack last for a week out there in style, after that I start killin' and eatin' squirrels... and sometimes people.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    also, the most important items to shop for in hiking is boots and socks. they make all the difference, but keep in mind the time of year in which youll be hiking i.e. waterproofing, insulation, etc.

Absolutely. In fact, keep this fresh in your mind when planning for a trip...keeping your feet dry is essential. Also, my own personal advice...which I constantly butt heads on with my girlfriend, is take only what you know you need to use...anything else is really just kind of a waste of space.
    I wouldn't like to dispute this BUT be very careful picking your footwear. When we went to South Africa, I picked quite an expensive pair of hiking boots... turned out they had poor grip and slipped a couple of times, which takes away from the enjoyment when you're more concerned about your footing than the scenery :oops: . It lead to a freakout moment :oops: and coulda taken away quite a bit from the trip.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    edited January 2010
    dcfaithful wrote:

I wouldn't like to dispute this BUT be very careful picking your footwear. When we went to South Africa, I picked quite an expensive pair of hiking boots... turned out they had poor grip and slipped a couple of times, which takes away from the enjoyment when you're more concerned about your footing than the scenery :oops: . It lead to a freakout moment :oops: and coulda taken away quite a bit from the trip.

Good point...much like anything you invest in, make sure you're picking out something of good quality...
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:

Good point...much like anything you invest in, make sure you're picking out something of god quality...
    I thought I did my research :oops: but turns out I know fuck all about boots and grips :oops:

My socks were worth the money though :D and camel packs are a god send :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    camel packs are a god send :D

A-fuckin'-men
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    I spent a couple nights in the backcountry of Yellowstone this year where you have to have a permit and all that jive. Frankly, that hike paled in comparison to my favorite spots in Idaho. The ranger tried to make us watch a film about backpacking before he gave us our permit. My wife and I just stared at him with our eyebrows arched until he was like, "Nevermind, I can tell you've done this before."

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I finally got to use the stuff i purchased and had a great time this weekend.

I did the Coosa Backcountry Trail in Georgia with some buddies. It is about 13 mile loop and you climb two ridges Coosa Bald and Slaughter Mountain. It brings you about 4500 ft up and a good portion of the upper part was covered with ice and snow still.

It was pretty strenous but a lot of fun. I can't tell you how many times i said how can a trail KEEP GOING UP? As it seemed to never stop with inclines, but it was well worth it. We stayed over night doing about 6 miles the first day and 7 the next.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

I did the Coosa Backcountry Trail in Georgia with some buddies. It is about 13 mile loop and you climb two ridges Coosa Bald and Slaughter Mountain. It brings you about 4500 ft up and a good portion of the upper part was covered with ice and snow still.

It was pretty strenous but a lot of fun. I can't tell you how many times i said how can a trail KEEP GOING UP? As it seemed to never stop with inclines, but it was well worth it. We stayed over night doing about 6 miles the first day and 7 the next.

Excellent work! I thought about teasing you guys back east for your "mountains", but then decided some person from Colorado would pop in teasing me about mine.

eyedclaar wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Excellent work! I thought about teasing you guys back east for your "mountains", but then decided some person from Colorado would pop in teasing me about mine.

Close enough, a person from Utah. :) Those southern "mountains" are like fucking hills! :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I would recommend getting the 78 unless you are seriously considering trips over 4 days. The 78 will stop you from overloading your pack and make you really consider what is necessary.

I started with a Gregory “Whitney” pack which holds 95 liters. Fully packed it weighed over 50 lbs. Over time I was able to widdle my gear down to fit a 70 liter pack and my trips are much more comfortable and enjoyable. I still use the Whitney on week-long trips due to its extra capacity to hold food but it’s not very fun to carry so much weight.

You also might want to see if any local gear shops have pack rentals. Sometimes it is nice to test drive before buying.
    I think it has been two years since I last put a pack on my back ... time for that to change! I have a trip planned in two months which should give me enough time to get back in shape. I've been pretty lazy for the last year.

Anyone else have any trips planned?
  • It's a long way off, but next summer the Mrs. and I are road tripping from Seattle to San Fran with several Nat'l Park day trips along the way. Really looking forward to it
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    probably a 3-4 kayak trip somewhere in the next month or so ... nothing official ...
    I'm going to look at some weekend hikes in Michigan in September and then do a weeklong trip in Northern Minnesota in late October (i will be bringing my long johns).

Then I will start planning a trip for the southwest for early January.

Sucks to hear that a wildfire is headed towards Yosemite ...
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm going to look at some weekend hikes in Michigan in September and then do a weeklong trip in Northern Minnesota in late October (i will be bringing my long johns).

Then I will start planning a trip for the southwest for early January.

Sucks to hear that a wildfire is headed towards Yosemite ...

i haven't done many multi-day stuff in the southwest but do know a lot of the parks down there if you want suggestions ...

ya ... they had that mice sickness there last year at yosemite too ...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I may go to the Adirondacks in October (which is my stomping grounds of camping/hiking). We usually hike the High Peaks. Its wonderful and gives you a whole new respect for NYS.

Never did the overnight hike thing. We have home base in a lean-to and we drive to and from the Loj to start the hike. We try to go once a year and each year I buy an addition to my camping gear.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I may go to the Adirondacks in October (which is my stomping grounds of camping/hiking). We usually hike the High Peaks. Its wonderful and gives you a whole new respect for NYS.

Never did the overnight hike thing. We have home base in a lean-to and we drive to and from the Loj to start the hike. We try to go once a year and each year I buy an addition to my camping gear.

adk is nice in the fall for sure ... ever go in the winter? ... climbing marcy or algonquin is pretty awesome in the winter ... highly recommend if you are into x-country skiing/snow shoeing ...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Never did the winter. Probably need to upgrade my gear quite a bit for that... My friends did that a few years ago and ran into some scary weather and ran into dark.

Love the Algonquin climb. Its quick, to the point, but high with a great view. Also have Wright and Iroquios right there.
    Marcy is great too, but its a bit lengthy and gradual.
    polaris_x wrote:
    i haven't done many multi-day stuff in the southwest but do know a lot of the parks down there if you want suggestions ...

ya ... they had that mice sickness there last year at yosemite too ...
    I've spent a lot of time in Utah and Colorado. I've never been to New Mexico ... although I hear it gets cold there due to the altitude.

Big Bend in Texas is also on my to-do list as well as Carlsbad Caverns.
    Jason P wrote:
    I've spent a lot of time in Utah and Colorado. I've never been to New Mexico ... although I hear it gets cold there due to the altitude.

ya ... it'll be cold anywhere you go in January ... particularly at night - day time highs can be good but it'll be cold at night ... definitely in New Mexico - you can encounter snow depending on where you are ...
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Jason P wrote:
    I think it has been two years since I last put a pack on my back ... time for that to change! I have a trip planned in two months which should give me enough time to get back in shape. I've been pretty lazy for the last year.

Two years? For shame...

It's been almost a week now since I was last out... far too long. Just this summer, I've spent considerable time in Yosemite, Tetons, the Sawtooths, Waterton, and Glacier and still have a Jellystone and Canyon Lands trip on the horizon.

Saw 10 bears during my most recent Waterton/Glacier trip! The wife and I mowed down about a hundred twenty-somethings on the trail; those whippersnapers can't hang with us old school mountain goats! Speaking of which, Glacier has a 71 year old female backcountry ranger still working the hills! 71 years! And they have a male front country ranger who is 95!
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

ya ... it'll be cold anywhere you go in January ... particularly at night - day time highs can be good but it'll be cold at night ... definitely in New Mexico - you can encounter snow depending on where you are ...

That's what snow caves are for... Don't let a little snow and sub-zero temps get in the way of a good backpacking trip. That's like not wrestling a bear when given the opportunity.
    Snakeduck wrote:
    That's what snow caves are for... Don't let a little snow and sub-zero temps get in the way of a good backpacking trip. That's like not wrestling a bear when given the opportunity.

dude ... you hear about those guys up in Labrador on a Sierra hike? ... attacked by a polar bear and all they had was one of them electrical fences ..
    Snakeduck wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Two years? For shame...
    I've been doing overnight canoe trips in the meantime.

Used to get out more, but i'm stuck in an area that I need to drive at least 3-5 hours to anything worthwhile.