Wizards Gilbert Arenas Issues Gun Statement "A Joke"

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Wizards Gilbert Arenas Issues Gun Statement "A Joke"

Really, there's no joke in this matter and it doesn't matter if his guns were unloaded. There's no gun when pointed at someone is considered unloaded one could've been in the chamber for all we know. None of us would be allowed to carry an unloaded gun to work where reporters, team assistants, doctors teammates all congregate is totally no joke. So if I was the commish he would be suspended atleast 40 games-to the entire season, fined 1 million along with community service. No jail time in this case but these players need to have some damn common sense.
Mr Arenas' Statement
"I appreciated the opportunity to meet with law enforcement officials today. As the person who caused this trouble in the first place, I thought it was my duty to be the first witness to come forward and meet with the prosecutors and detectives. I told my attorney I wanted to get in for an interview as soon as we could arrange it, and that was today.

I told the detectives and prosecutors the whole story about my storing the unloaded guns at the Verizon Center and what I was intending to do when I took them out of my locker on December 21st.

As I have said before, I had kept the four unloaded handguns in my house in Virginia, but then moved them over to my locker at the Verizon Center to keep them away from my young kids. I brought them without any ammunition into the District of Columbia, mistakenly believing that the recent change in the DC gun laws allowed a person to store unloaded guns in the District.

On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate. Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone.

Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded.

I am very sorry for the effect that my serious lapse in judgment has had on my team, my teammates, the National Basketball Association and its fans. I want to apologize to everybody for letting them down with my conduct, and I promise to do better in the future.

I also want to thank the detectives and prosecutors on the case for the professionalism and courtesy they showed me during the interview today. I stand ready to continue to give my full cooperation to them and to the League as they investigate this incident."

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i hope he gets suspended ... i picked up randy foye on my fantasy team ... ;)
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    After the trouble Plaxico Burress got into and considering Delonte West got busted with guns in the DC-area you would think that Agent Zero would be a bit smarter then to bring guns (loaded or unloaded) into the lockeroom.
    It's the same old case that athletes and famous folk feel more entitled or above the law. Idiot.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    I think he should be kicked out of the league for good.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    his lawyers and handlers told him it was a joke...i don't believe he thinks that...then, having the iq of a teapot might have something to do with that
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's all over the radio here in DC but he should be suspended for the rest of the season. His biggest worry is him possibly losing that max contract of $111 million dollar contract he signed last year. I'm sure the team will want to find a way out of that ridiculous contract and I like "Agent 0." As for Delonte West he may face some jail time for having an arsenal of loaded weapons but at least he wasn't foolish enough to bring them to the workplace. Guess which one of these is still playing games. I don't if Gilbert will play in tonight's game.

Something from an old softball friend who was and still is a cop. He handed me his service weapon 9mm glock after clearing it I asked him any special about handling this bad boy? He said, never ever point a weapon at anyone whether you think or know it's unloaded.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's all over the radio here in DC but he should be suspended for the rest of the season. His biggest worry is him possibly losing that max contract of $111 million dollar contract he signed last year. I'm sure the team will want to find a way out of that ridiculous contract and I like "Agent 0." As for Delonte West he may face some jail time for having an arsenal of loaded weapons but at least he wasn't foolish enough to bring them to the workplace. Guess which one of these is still playing games. I don't if Gilbert will play in tonight's game.

Something from an old softball friend who was and still is a cop. He handed me his service weapon 9mm glock after clearing it I asked him any special about handling this bad boy? He said, never ever point a weapon at anyone whether you think or know it's unloaded.

Peace

Interesting stuff. I am sure it is all over the radio there and I have read in multiple places the Wizards will definitely try to use this to get out of his contract. Delonte West needs some mental help, that guy is not all there.

I really don't think being suspended for the rest of the season is enough of a punishment for bringing a gun into the work place and playing a "joke" with them, especially a joke on someone you just got in a fight with.

Yeah, I am sure pointing a gun at someone is a pretty serious crime whether it is loaded or not.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    edited January 2010
    What an ass...

"Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong. I should not have brought the guns to DC in the first place, and I now realize that there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded."

First of all, it takes a conversation with police to realize that "there's no such thing as joking around when it comes to guns -- even if unloaded"???

And he said that he was wrong to bring the guns to DC.... nothing about bringing guns to the workplace. If he played for a team in Dallas, does he think it would be ok then?
    Post edited by blackredyellow on
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    :wtf:

How much common sense must you lack in order to think that bringing even an unloaded gun into a locker room and pulling it out to play a joke on your teammates would be acceptable? :roll:

Thanks Gilbert, for presenting us with a extraordinary example of stupidity.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I think they need to set an example right off the bat - zero tolerance, the man should be out of the league

I know if I were to do that in the workplace, I wouldn't be back the next day or ever

what a total jackass
    I think they need to set an example right off the bat - zero tolerance, the man should be out of the league

The more I think about it, the more I agree...Commish Stern should be a hard ass and just say: "Sorry man, you fucked up."

This doesn't reflect on the NBA too well at all, and that should be his number one concern; upholding the integrity of the NBA...it never bothered me when David Stern enforced rules against "hip-hop dress code" or whatever. I agree with you, this is kind of a zero tolerance mistake...like you, if I did this at my workplace I'd be fired in the least...because he's a professional athlete shouldn't make a difference for his poor judgement.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I agree...Commish Stern should be a hard ass and just say: "Sorry man, you fucked up."

This doesn't reflect on the NBA too well at all, and that should be his number one concern; upholding the integrity of the NBA...it never bothered me when David Stern enforced rules against "hip-hop dress code" or whatever. I agree with you, this is kind of a zero tolerance mistake...like you, if I did this at my workplace I'd be fired in the least...because he's a professional athlete shouldn't make a difference for his poor judgement.

If we did this at our workplaces we would end up in jail. Hoepfully he does as well.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    upholding the integrity of the NBA

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    He violated the collective agreement for sure, but I don't think he broke any law. Max he gets is the remainder of the season - and that will ONLY be to set an example.
  • Someone at work just reminded me about the Washington Wizards in the 90's changing their name from the Washington Bullets because of the negative connotation with guns and violence... That's kinda funny.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    What they need to do is eliminate that thug street mentality that hurts the league so much. And kicking him out of the league would send a huge message.

Look at all the trouble Allen Iverson had throughout his career because he refused to walk away from the people in his life that were bringing him down. He walked around like a punk ass throughout his career. As talented as he is/was, that's always going to be part of his legacy and I think that is sad.

As I said, if I did this at work, I'd probably be in a psych ward right now being evaluated, because let's face it, there's something wrong with someone who pulls out a gun and claims it was a joke
  • It's absolutely amazing how fucking stupid some of these athletes are. I'd love to hear the real story as to what happened in that locker room.
    It's absolutely amazing how fucking stupid some of these athletes are. I'd love to hear the real story as to what happened in that locker room.

I read a few days ago that they got into an argument over gambling on the plane in which Arenas refused to pay because of something about the rules, Crittenton threatned to shoot him in his bad knee because he was stuck paying the entire pot. A couple days later Arenas put the 3 guns down by his locker and Crittenton picked one up and threw it across the locker room at the wall yelling that he had his own guns. I believe I read this on Deadspin.

Sounds like a big joke huh? Kick them both out of the league.
    norm wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    upholding the integrity of the NBA

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know, I know...I felt silly typing that. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    What they need to do is eliminate that thug street mentality that hurts the league so much.

I love the NBA...have since I was a kid....but I totally agree. Too much thug attitude in the league. I often ask myself "is he trying to be a rapper or a basketball player."

Then there are those that pursuit both... :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If we did this at our workplaces we would end up in jail. Hoepfully he does as well.

Oh I'm sure I'd get my ass hauled off in the back of a squad car too.
    Someone at work just reminded me about the Washington Wizards in the 90's changing their name from the Washington Bullets because of the negative connotation with guns and violence... That's kinda funny.

Leave it to an idiot to re-open the wound.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended the Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas indefinitely.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Wednesday. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267

Sounds to me like he is thinking about kicking him out. I hope he does.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended the Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas indefinitely.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Wednesday. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

he will be back...don't kid yourself...stern can give us his lawyer double talk all day but he'll be back...the players union is going to raise holy hell
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

he will be back...don't kid yourself...stern can give us his lawyer double talk all day but he'll be back...the players union is going to raise holy hell

Unfortunatly I am sure you are right. I really wish they could just make an example out of him.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Unfortunatly I am sure you are right. I really wish they could just make an example out of him.

He'll definitely be back. It's a fucking shame too. What other job in the world can you bring a gun to and not get fired???? The NBA....where amazing happens!
    The NBA....where amazing happens!

hahahah, well played
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The NBA....where amazing happens!

hahahah, well played

:lol::lol::lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    shitheads

ept_sports_nba_experts-334263685-1262747953.jpg?ymxUZeCDGfoE8_Rq
    norm wrote:
    shitheads

ept_sports_nba_experts-334263685-1262747953.jpg?ymxUZeCDGfoE8_Rq

shit team too...

That gesture reminds me of Shooter McGavin's signature move...

shooter-mcgavin.jpg
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    and to think this is the franchise that use to be called the "BULLETS" :lol:

And their owner changed the name due to violence in DC

Those thinkin he will be banned for life...aint gonna happen.He might get the rest of his contract voided and face a harsh suspension and future revenue loses with endorsements.
    Anyone else see reports today that Arenas is taking the blame for Crittenton? I read that after Arenas put the guns on the seat by his locker and after Crittenton threw one of the guns across the room, Crittenton pulled out his own gun and loaded threatening Arenas.