AVATAR: IMAX 3D, Regular 3D, or 2D?

CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
There's an IMAX 3D about 40 minutes away. A regular 3D about 10 minutes away as well as the 2D.

Does IMAX make that big of a difference for this movie?
ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
*NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
*MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
*Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
*Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
*Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
*VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
*EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
*Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    IMAX 3D all the way....

It's the only way I've seen it but my girlfriend has seen both the IMAX 3D and 2D versions and says the 3D is visually amazing when compared to 2D.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i saw it in 3D but not IMAX. 3D was pretty great !, I'm sure IMAX 3D would be great too.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    CJMST3K wrote:
    There's an IMAX 3D about 40 minutes away. A regular 3D about 10 minutes away as well as the 2D.

Does IMAX make that big of a difference for this movie?

IMAX 3d is the way to go, my first IMAX movie and it was too kool the second time around. Now what is 2d never heard of it?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The only IMAX movie I saw was a scientific one at the planetarium, which had the film played inside a huge dome, so that was hard on the eyes. Does a regular IMAX theater have a relatively flat screen, but bigger?
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    CJMST3K wrote:
    The only IMAX movie I saw was a scientific one at the planetarium, which had the film played inside a huge dome, so that was hard on the eyes. Does a regular IMAX theater have a relatively flat screen, but bigger?

Yeah, larger flat screen, ends are curved slightly but not noticeably... alot different than the planetarium IMAX domes.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    CJMST3K wrote:

Yes, atleast this one did in Palm Beach Florida. Now I have seen IMAX screens much bigger 2-3 stories high and it felt weird to sit that close with that big of a screen.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    From what everyone has told me, IMAX 3D is the way to go if you have that option. Otherwise 3D.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    3D was amazing, we live too far away from an Imax to go. Well not that far, a couple hours but we have a toddler and can't really leave her with anyone for 8 hours while we go watch a movie.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    g under p wrote:
    Now what is 2d never heard of it?

Peace

Our grand kids (or kids for the younger ones here) may never know...

Updated: January 5, 2010, 7:56 AM ET
    ESPN 3D to show soccer, football, moreComment Email Print Share ESPN.com

Sports broadcasting will enter a new dimension in 2010 ... the third dimension, as ESPN will unveil the industry's first 3D network.

ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match, featuring South Africa vs. Mexico, ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer announced.

Other events to be produced in 3D include the 2011 BCS National Championship Game, college basketball and football contests, up to 25 World Cup matches and the Summer X Games. Additional events will be announced at a later date.

"ESPN's commitment to 3D is a win for fans and our business partners," Bodenheimer said in a statement. "ESPN 3D marries great content with new technology to enhance the fan's viewing experience and puts ESPN at the forefront of the next big advance for TV viewing."

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years, even showing a USC-Ohio State college football game in select theaters and to 6,000 fans at the Galen Center on USC's campus.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,845
    the wolf wrote:
    i saw it in 3D but not IMAX. 3D was pretty great !, I'm sure IMAX 3D would be great too.

same here, i may see it again this time in IMAX when it starts to die down a little.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    IMAX 3D is worth the trip. I've never been so engrossed in the visuals of a movie in my entire life. It really was quite stunning... I haven't seen it in the age old 2D format, but after the IMAX experience, I don't know if I would want to.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • am i the only one that thought this was a long, predictable hybrid of pocahontas and ferngully? :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    am i the only one that thought this was a long, predictable hybrid of pocahontas and ferngully? :|

No, you're not the only one. A bit of Dances With Wolves too.
  • saw it in 3d and it was the most incredible film experience i have had since u2 3d imax...2 different animals...but for people sitting who are wondering if they should go. id say just do it. 3d only

unbelievable is all i can say
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,818
    I saw it in IMAX 3D. i can't compare to regular 3d though. But it was cool. And watching the previews for Hubble 3D and Alice in Wonderland in IMAX 3D was great.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    I saw it in IMAX 3D. i can't compare to regular 3d though. But it was cool. And watching the previews for Hubble 3D and Alice in Wonderland in IMAX 3D was great.

imax 3d is next for me :)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,992
    None of it.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    None of it.

Did you see it? I haven't, but we tend to agree on movies.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    None of it.

Not too ruffle any feathers with the klingons of the PJ fanbase - fuck it, when have I been one to care? I have not seen it, and plan on not seeing it. Maybe I'll see it when it's a On-Sunday-Morning-On-HBO-At-10am-And-I'm-Lying-On-The-Couch-Hungover kind of movie. The whole thing is just ridiculous to me. Me and my buddy when we first saw previews for it rolled our eyes - he's actually was more adamant about it(he went out of his way to send an email to me with the trailer saying, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?") I just don't get it, and I don't want to get it. James Cameron is just full of himself and has apparently had an idea for this idiotic movie for years. It's just one of those movies that was advertised into the fucking ground, so whatever inkling I might have had to see it is now definitely way gone. Plus, made up fantasy bullshit usually doesn't do it for me. So suffice to say, again, I have not seen it. If James Cameron wanted to do anything right, he should have taken back the Terminator franchise. Instead he requests, "Whatever technology that costs the most money out there, I want. And I want a ton of money pumped in advertising. A shit load please, if that's a formal measurement."

So, yeah, that's just me.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    eyedclaar wrote:
    None of it.

Not too ruffle any feathers with the klingons of the PJ fanbase - fuck it, when have I been one to care? I have not seen it, and plan on not seeing it. Maybe I'll see it when it's a On-Sunday-Morning-On-HBO-At-10am-And-I'm-Lying-On-The-Couch-Hungover kind of movie. The whole thing is just ridiculous to me. Me and my buddy when we first saw previews for it rolled our eyes - he's actually was more adamant about it(he went out of his way to send an email to me with the trailer saying, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?") I just don't get it, and I don't want to get it. James Cameron is just full of himself and has apparently had an idea for this idiotic movie for years. It's just one of those movies that was advertised into the fucking ground, so whatever inkling I might have had to see it is now definitely way gone. Plus, made up fantasy bullshit usually doesn't do it for me. So suffice to say, again, I have not seen it. If James Cameron wanted to do anything right, he should have taken back the Terminator franchise. Instead he requests, "Whatever technology that costs the most money out there, I want. And I want a ton of money pumped in advertising. A shit load please, if that's a formal measurement."

Fuck Avatar, after the World Series and the absurd intros, I have no intentions on seeing it. I decided during the World Series that I had no plans on seeing it.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980

I love this guy... But not like that, I mean only in the most flamingly gay sense of the word.

I heard the mineral they are trying to mine in the movie is called "unobtainium." I pretty much lost interest at that point.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:

I love this guy... But not like that, I mean only in the most flamingly gay sense of the word.

I heard the mineral they are trying to mine in the movie is called "unobtainium." I pretty much lost interest at that point.

I forget where I was reading it, but I read in this article that did you ever notice how Cameron always has American soldiers(or a variation of it - FBI, SWAT in Terminator) be represented as the enemy or as bumbling fools? They were going over all his movies and it made sense.

But hey! They had previews in Dallas' new stadium in THREE DEE. Yes, I wanted to spell it out that way.

Eyed, I've actually tried being less cynical and bitter lately. Thank you for lighting the spark again.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    None of it.

when i saw the previews i wasn't excited either. I just went because i never saw a 3-d movie before.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

when i saw the previews i wasn't excited either. I just went because i never saw a 3-d movie before.

Have you also never taken up an entire page of threads before? 8-)
    igotid88 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Have you also never taken up an entire page of threads before? 8-)[/quote]

no i have.
    I miss igotid88
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    saw it this weekend in 3d imax. very entertaining!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    IMAX was great
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    eyedclaar wrote:

:mrgreen:

see, when we first saw previews for it, thought it looked rather lame.
    then it got all sorts of praise, and we were both rethinking it. however, upon further reading, yea....i think our original assessment would probably hold true. about as subtle as being hit over the head with a baseball bat. it's on our netflix queue. unless mr. dream pushes for it in the theatre, think the big screen at home will suffice. and yea.....'unobtainium' i almost chocked on that when i read it in some article as well. :roll:

btw - this is also the same man who ruined what could've been an amazing, epic look at titanic, by adding his own, fictional, entirely cheeseball romance to it. subtle he is not.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• g under p wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Yes, atleast this one did in Palm Beach Florida. Now I have seen IMAX screens much bigger 2-3 stories high and it felt weird to sit that close with that big of a screen.

peace

Hey, i'm in Palm Beach too! Where is that theater -- they have an IMAx in city place or somethin?!?
    I never go to the movies, but have been thinking about seeing this in 3d too.

ps-btw, do you live around PBC?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    Make sure it is a TRUE IMAX theater...a lot are not.

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/05/16/if-yo ... l-did-you/
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!