Some guitar / Music theory help please !!!!

PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,

I wrote a nice bridge in one of my songs a while back with the chords: F sharp minor, D, G, B.

I would like to stick this in one of my new songs which is in the key of D minor. The way I am playing it now is D minor, F, C, G.

The problem is that it doesnt sound quite right. Can someone help me out please. I'm not sure if I adapted the original chord progression correctly into D minor.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Because D minor contains the notes D E F G A Bb and C, the progression would be F, Dm, Gm, and Bb
    in Dm, this should be F, D minor, G minor, Bb

Hope that helps
    This is not for you...
    Speaking as a child of the nineties
  • It sounds like the original progression (F#m, D, G, B) is basically in the key of D-major (or the relative-minor key of B-minor), with the B-minor chord upgraded to a B-major chord. I wonder, though, if you were playing the B chord as a power, or B5, chord without the 3rd, and it's proper chord tone should be minor. Anyhoo...

If I've got that much correct, then to play this in D-minor (or it's relative-major key, F), you would play Am - F - Bb - D. If you need to root the progression on the D-minor chord, then you're playing in Bb/Gm, and the progression is Dm - Bb - Eb - G.

It could just be, of course, that you've adapted a Cobain-esque disregard for music or chord theory. Sometimes you just throw the theory out the window and write whatever sounds good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    If you're just trying to transpose it, then everything needs to come down a major third from where it currently is...

F# minor goes down to D minor
    D major goes down to B flat major
    G major goes down to E flat major
    B major goes down to G major

Just move it down consistently and it should sound right!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    Thanks everyone!