importing songs to iTunes: AAC (MPEG-4) vs. Apple Lossless?

googoo Posts: 226
edited December 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
first of all, I'm not a Mac guy or an audiophile, but I do have a sharp ear. but I do want the music I import to sound the best it possibly can. but I'm just now noticing that all the music (hundreds and hundreds of songs) I've imported were all imported in AAC (MPEG-4) format. of course it sounds fine to me, but should I have imported it all in Lossless format? I mean, is there really THAT much of a difference to the every-day ear? I really don't want to have to go back and re-import all the music if I don't have to. I do play my iPod through some larger speakers/nicer sound systems from time to time, and it sounds okay. but am I selling myself short by not going Lossless? I've heard that some ipods have trouble playing music synced to it in lossless format. I also have to keep in mind that those files take up more space. so, sound/audio wizards out there, should I just keep doing what I'm doing or should I go lossless? if I'm not missing anything, I'll be relieved.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What I do (don't take this as gospel).

I import at a semi-decent quality. This is good for computer listening/iPod listening. When I go to the nice stereo to actually listen through a good system, I use CDs. It's the best of both worlds!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V