No Code

PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
edited December 2009 in The Porch
So... my opinion of No Code has always been a big 'meh', but after an intense listening session today, I'm finding it to be MUCH better than I gave it credit for.

I love the 'strange' vibe to it. the only tracks I've found myself still saying "meh" to are Habit and Mankind.

I think my favorite song so far in this rediscovery process has to be Red Mosquito. I love the way Eddie sings the 'he's a waitin....UUUUUUUPPPP!' part into the solo. great transition. some awesome work from Mike in there too.

second favorite would be In My Tree....even though it sort of reminds me of U2 :P

What say yoouuu?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i think its one of the greatest albums of all time.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Habit is kind of a meh until you hear it getting rocked the fuck out LIVE.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's all about coming of age, maturing.. I wasn't impressed on first listen.. it was probably 3 or 4 years later that my age caught up with it, but since then, I've connected instantly with every Pearl Jam album since.
  • jskjsk Posts: 53
    The single for no code pushed a lot of people away. I love that single. Come to ....
    If I had known then, what I know now.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    jsk wrote:
    The single for no code pushed a lot of people away. I love that single. Come to ....
    To this day, I will never like that single.. I hate it so bad I can't even remember the name.. but the rest of the album is amazing.. In My Tree might be my favorite song of all time.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Who You Are is good but not single worthy. I think they intentionally released un-singles. And In My Tree tops my list.
  • Who You Are is a bit on the boring side IMO.... seen it live... been hearing it all day today. Can't really get into to it that much.

oh and how could I forget LUKIN! So fun :D
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    Habit is kind of a meh until you hear it getting rocked the fuck out LIVE.

WORD! Habit live is hard to top, the energy is amazing!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • jskjsk Posts: 53
    Present Tense
    If I had known then, what I know now.
  • loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    My favorite PJ album. Off He Goes is SO awesome, and Present tense gave me chills when I first heard it. And who CAN'T just ROCK OUT to Habit and Hail, Hail?!
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    MrSmith wrote:
    i think its one of the greatest albums of all time.

^this
  • I only started listening to Pearl Jam a few years ago. Loved Ten and Vs, loved songs on Vitalogy but thought the album was a little sporadic and didn't flow so well. I remember before hearing No Code reading how it was supposed to mark the beginning of the end for Pearl Jam so I wasn't expecting much but I when I did hear it I was amazed and that's when Pearl Jam became my favourite band of all time. Just an awesome unit of music, lacks in the single category but who cares cos in it's entirety is awesome! For me it's up there with Ten and Vs and way way way way way way above Yield (sorry I had to throw that in, I know people love that record but for me it's PJ's "meh" album)
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    hard to find the cd in stores now.
    I miss igotid88
  • jsk wrote:
    Present Tense

Eddie performed Present Tense in London,wembley arena in 2007 so intensively that it made me shiver...
    It was much more intense than on the album (which most PJ songs tensd to be!

...next live gigs in Dublin and Belfast, can't wait till the summer =)
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    My3rdEye wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    i think its one of the greatest albums of all time.

^this

Me Too. Had no problem with any songs, Habit is a fave.
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    No Code is my second favourite PJ album after Vitalogy and they are probably my two favourite albums of all time. I think after the more accessible first two albums the next two were a little less instant and were a more cryptic listen. Nothing against the other albums as I love them all for different reasons but these two are PJ's darker side and only Binaural can compare in that quality. I love No Code and I wish they would make something similar but they are in a different place now so this will remain a great album recorded during a fantastic period for music and a turbulent one for the band . Love it to death :mrgreen:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I've always said that No Code and Yield are the best back to back albums by any band in modern music.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • No Code is a masterpiece. I could never look at Habit as "Meh". The chorus is weak but Eddie voice in it is so raw, I never get sick of it.
  • i could never put no code in better place than ten-vs-vitalogy-binaural..so 5th or 6th for me
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Posts: 596
    Who You Are is a bit on the boring side IMO.... seen it live... been hearing it all day today. Can't really get into to it that much.

oh and how could I forget LUKIN! So fun :D

You should listen to the Bonnaroo version of Who You Are, gives me chills... No Code is definitely one of my top PJ albums!
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    At First I was like...This is a bit 'Different'...but it QUICKLY grew on Me...and one of my TOP 5 songs is 'Present Tense' :)