poster pros need ur help please...

shaneroyshaneroy Posts: 75
edited December 2009 in The Porch
ok i have the 4 philly posters and a couple my morning jacket posters. i know nothing about framing, and plan on getting them done in the next few months. in the mean time i was gonna temporarily place them in the plastic type you can get at Michael's for like $15 and hang them in my basement (which receives no sunlight at all). is this acceptable for a few months or will it potentially ruin them and how/why? thanks in advance for all ur suggestions and advice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It is best to store them flat. Also make sure the plastic and / or paper are both acid free.
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    myth one: craft paper is good to keep between your posters- FALSE it is newsprint, and highly acidic so find some acid free drawing paper. Cardboard is also very acidic so keep it off that as much as possible. I fucking hate that poster artists send their prints in this, but Acid free is too expensive to give that many sheets of it away.

myth 2: The Michael's frames are that say acid free are Okay. Yeah the front mat may be acid free, but not the backing boards or cardbaord. So it defeats the purpose. Even the plastics can contain yellowing acids. (the acids in the papers make your prints turn yellow)

so if you buy those frames pony up for a piece or two of acid free may bard to cut for the backing boards at the very least. They should have mounting stuff that will be acid free as well (also called archival). Will they yellow overnight? No it would be a little bit over time, but the less acid the better. hell your fingers the tubes we get them in all have it so if for a short term put a few pieces of acid fee drawing paper between the print and the backboard and it should do...it won't totally prevent transfer of acid but will help.

to get a good frame with all archival mounts and UV resistant glass be prepared to spend over 100 per frame. If you did it all yourself you could save some of that cost, but materials will still run around 50.

if you store them do it flat. I found that shipping boxes for pictures and mirrors are a good size and fit under a bed. If you get some acid free plastic bags to put them in the cardbaord won't hurt it.
  • shaneroy wrote:
    ok i have the 4 philly posters and a couple my morning jacket posters. i know nothing about framing, and plan on getting them done in the next few months. in the mean time i was gonna temporarily place them in the plastic type you can get at Michael's for like $15 and hang them in my basement (which receives no sunlight at all). is this acceptable for a few months or will it potentially ruin them and how/why? thanks in advance for all ur suggestions and advice.

Definately do that. Ive done that to all my "in purgatory" posters that I haven't nicely framed yet but still want to enjoy in the meantime. Sad but there are about 50 of 'em. Oh man that's bad.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925