Check out this tribute vid i made, using PJ music

PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
edited January 2010 in The Porch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2uAZpco1E RIP ryan.

I finally got it uploaded to youtube, sorry the audio quality isn't exactly great i had to upload it to one true media which had some problems. Anyways lemme know what you think.
Shows:
Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Did you know Ryan? I assume so, because of the pictures. Such a sad and tragic story.

And I think your choice of song was good, very fitting!
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    edited December 2009
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Did you know Ryan? I assume so, because of the pictures. Such a sad and tragic story.

And I think your choice of song was good, very fitting!

I never met Ryan, he was a few years older than me, but i've talked to his dad and he's a very inspirational guy, he has done alot of work in trying to prevent bullying and does presentations at schools across the country
    Post edited by PJFAN_seattle on
    Shows:
  • this is so sad...R.I.P.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Depressing :( .
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    jecica wrote:

It is...but it's a sad reality.

I have seen cyberbullying online with my kids that involved the police several years ago.... it wasn't pretty.

I also just recently had to report MySpace because one person (which I suspect to be one of my oldest son's ex-girlfriends who didn't take the break-up very well) had set up an account using his name and one of his pictures, calling him gay and slandering his name.

It's much worse online than in person, I think... and that is very very important for the parents to watch their activities online.

I respect my children's privacy but there is a fine line of intruding and if I suspect something is going on and that something does not feel right, I inform my children that I want to check their personal accounts to make sure things are OK - it does not matter to me what their opinions/views/feelings are.... as long as it is being done in respect manner on both ends.

I have had them take down myspace because it got out of control... and I cannot take on more responsibilities for FB yet so they are not allowed to have FB at this time. Until I am ready to deal with more responsibilities of monitoring them and dealing with cyberbullying.....

As for in schools, the parents have to have open communication with their children about socialization and kids around them....friends.... that's how we pick up little things to prevent problems in the long run.

It works with 3 of our 4 kids... but the oldest is a challenge.

Bullying/Cyberbullying is really a serious problem today with the kids.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • IamMine wrote:
    jecica wrote:

It is...but it's a sad reality.

I have seen cyberbullying online with my kids that involved the police several years ago.... it wasn't pretty.

I also just recently had to report MySpace because one person (which I suspect to be one of my oldest son's ex-girlfriends who didn't take the break-up very well) had set up an account using his name and one of his pictures, calling him gay and slandering his name.

It's much worse online than in person, I think... and that is very very important for the parents to watch their activities online.

I respect my children's privacy but there is a fine line of intruding and if I suspect something is going on and that something does not feel right, I inform my children that I want to check their personal accounts to make sure things are OK - it does not matter to me what their opinions/views/feelings are.... as long as it is being done in respect manner on both ends.

I have had them take down myspace because it got out of control... and I cannot take on more responsibilities for FB yet so they are not allowed to have FB at this time. Until I am ready to deal with more responsibilities of monitoring them and dealing with cyberbullying.....

As for in schools, the parents have to have open communication with their children about socialization and kids around them....friends.... that's how we pick up little things to prevent problems in the long run.

It works with 3 of our 4 kids... but the oldest is a challenge.

Bullying/Cyberbullying is really a serious problem today with the kids.

Yeah it definitely is, also most of the experience i've had with cyberbullying has been via texting, ryan had it online though. Thanks for the post.
    Shows:

Yeah it definitely is, also most of the experience i've had with cyberbullying has been via texting, ryan had it online though. Thanks for the post.

I forgot about texting. Yup, that is also a big concern for cyberbullying. They just enforced a new school policy of not allowing cellphones in schools last year.

Funny, my oldest complains of being the only one who doesn't own a cell phone in high school.... :P Bad for him, good for me.

But yeah... sigh. Funny how I would relieve how 'horrible' my days of bullying and teasing were bad...but I don't think it was as bad as you kids have it today.

This has to be educated everywhere - all to the kids, parents, teachers, neighbors and the society.
    ~Q Magazine

• joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    wow im speechless ....never heard of the story .....so after your video i watched a few others.....i even shed a few tears .... and it is sad to say that i once had an issue of "psycho" ex girlfriend....AT THE AGE OF 33 !!!!! long story short i got her arrested ...not a joke .....

after the first few times i called the cops and called her "bluff"... i didnt know it was her at first but had a really good idea.....so i went and called the cops. they came to my house and told me i need to have THREE items of proof ... meaning every time "this person" contacted me either on AOLim FACEBOOK/MAYSPACE i had to tell that person to "please leave me alone and stop contacting me".... then i was told to "save the page"....once it happened three times i called the cops again. They came to my house took my PC and found the IP address from where the emails/IMs/facebook..etc... came from.......GUESS WHO ...the EX . they arrested her on three counts ..
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Very sad. It's a shame that kids are so cruel to each other. I wish that kids could see past high school and realize that all the things that seem "cool" in school aren't that big a deal. Most of the nerdy smart kids are the ones who make the most money and who are the most successful. I was a jock on the football team and most of the kids I knew and was friends with are roofers or laborers and stuff. I am a construction worker myself. The kids who were considered nerds or dorks probably make more than me and are more successful and good for them. I would shake their hands today and congratulate them. I wasn't a bully in school but I can't say I treated everyone equal. I graduated HS before text messaging and myspace and facebook were around so it is kind of an eye opener. Now that I have kids of my own I really need to keep up on this stuff to protect them from stuff like this. Thank you PJkidd for bringing this to everyone's attention. Hopefully this tragedy will open people's eyes to what is going on with our youth today.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Very sad. It's a shame that kids are so cruel to each other. I wish that kids could see past high school and realize that all the things that seem "cool" in school aren't that big a deal. Most of the nerdy smart kids are the ones who make the most money and who are the most successful. I was a jock on the football team and most of the kids I knew and was friends with are roofers or laborers and stuff. I am a construction worker myself. The kids who were considered nerds or dorks probably make more than me and are more successful and good for them. I would shake their hands today and congratulate them. I wasn't a bully in school but I can't say I treated everyone equal. I graduated HS before text messaging and myspace and facebook were around so it is kind of an eye opener. Now that I have kids of my own I really need to keep up on this stuff to protect them from stuff like this. Thank you PJkidd for bringing this to everyone's attention. Hopefully this tragedy will open people's eyes to what is going on with our youth today.
    Yup it is really sad. If u look around youtube youll find mamy tribute vids for kids who have died with the same stories
    Shows:
    edited January 2010
    I just wanted to bump this thread and share what's going on with my oldest son at his high school recently. It's pretty long. Bear with me....

Cyberbullying/Bullying is very serious...and sigh, sometimes it is not easy to deal with, especially with the administration. Kids not talking about it to an adult, or an adult not doing anything about it.

My son and his friends are considered as outcasts and especially my son has been harassed with verbal. This time around, it was a senior kid spreading rumors about him being gay and some nasty stuff such as "sucking *insert name*'s dick" - literally loud enough for other kids to hear in the hallway.

Ty and his friends ignored them and then between hours he was approached by some kids, asking him if it was true, that he was gay? He became irritated and angry.

When one of his friends talked to the vice-principal when interviewed, there were verbal harassment going on and he was like, "Did you hear that?!" The VP was like yeah I heard that. Yet he did nothing there.

Come lunch time...where this bully kid was sitting at the table and Ty at another with his friends. They were giving him the skank eye, laughing and talking. It was clear that they were talking about him and Ty was fed up, so he walked over to the table, with his friend following him.

This kid looked away, laughing with his friends cuz he knew Ty was coming up to him. Ty knocked on the table to get his attention. When he got his attention, Ty told him to knock it off - stop talking about him.

This kid stood up in an aggressive manner and said, "What are you going to do about it?!"

Ty said no, that's not what I'm saying...why are you acting like this?

The kid struck him with the first punch. Ty snapped and doesn't remember most of it, it was blurry.

He beat up this senior kid pretty bad.

It went on for pretty long - like 30 seconds to close a minute. Enough damages were done to this kid, breaking his nose and knocked him out. He had so much rage in him that people were literally scared when they saw Ty, said he didn't look the same - like he was somebody else with this so much rage.

All of this was caught on a videotape. Both got a 10 days suspension.

The principal told him it was his fault for walking up to him, that it was the same thing as "striking the first punch." Bullshit!

He's been targeting Tyler and people have low opinion of him because he doesn't fit in their society.

I told the VP that while I agree that he could have handled it differently, I disagreed that it was the same thing as striking the first punch by confronting this boy and shouldn't be punished because it was this other kid who decided to hit him.

He changed his story (unfo not in writing, but verbally) and said it was because of the violent/physical conflict - and that "fighting should not be tolerated, especially in a common place like the cafeteria full of students."

I was like WTF...neither should verbal harassment be tolerated! And refuses to let us view the tape "due to privacy laws" because of other students being shown. Bullshit!

And he keeps saying it was Tyler's fault...that he "chose" to take his friend and chose to confront this boy, so he's punished - not only for that, but for how long it went on.

I was thinking... fine. I'll look into a lawyer because:

a) He could have prevent this unfortunate situation by dealing with the verbal harassment that very morning.
    b) Had there been an adult present in the cafetria, the fight would not have lasted as long as it did.

Now, I don't agree with what Ty did...and his snapping out of it is a very serious matter to look into. One teacher told Ty that she used to work in Detroit public schools and have seen pretty bad fights, but this one.... wow. A lot of people were in shock that such a skinny kid could have beat up a bigger kid pretty bad like that.

Sigh. I think the adminstration is afraid 'cause they knew they fucked up and could have avoided this.

So I refuse to respond to the VP's emails anymore and look into getting a lawyer and see if we have a case and prevent this from happening again. Not only holding my son accountable, but also the administration and everybody else. Stop this finger-pointing shit.

Sorry for the long post... but sheesh. :(

It is very serious... talk to your kids... that they should tell an adult if there was verbal harassment going on before anything gets worse. And make sure you get it in writing.

The administration do not like anything in writing.... they didn't like it when I demanded that they emailed me with the info...they wanted to talk in person or over the phone. No. In writing first. Or if you do talk in person or phone...make sure you follow up with a written paper confirming what was said.

Just in case you need it as an evidence.
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    IamMine, I think you're son did the right thing. If he just ignored this kid it would have just gotten worse. School administrators are beaurocratic assholes, only worried about the schools standings in the state and how much budget money they can get. To them, bullying is only a problem when it gets to this stage because it makes them look bad. Hopefully this bully who harrassed your son learned his fucking lesson and shuts his mouth from now on. If not, then he is stupid and deserves another beating.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    IamMine, I think you're son did the right thing. If he just ignored this kid it would have just gotten worse. School administrators are beaurocratic assholes, only worried about the schools standings in the state and how much budget money they can get. To them, bullying is only a problem when it gets to this stage because it makes them look bad. Hopefully this bully who harrassed your son learned his fucking lesson and shuts his mouth from now on. If not, then he is stupid and deserves another beating.

I don't have a problem with self-defense. I am concerned with how far he went by beating up this kid. His friend had to pull him back and told him enough 'cause the kid was already knocked out. He was like a raggedy doll when a teacher picked him up. Tyler only got punched ONCE - the one that this kid started and he didn't have the chance to hit Ty back. Some kids said 8 punches, some say 11, some say 13.

It was so loud and some kids were wincing and looking away, going "Ooooohhh!" because he was hurting this kid badly, including picking him up and throwing him on THREE different tables. Jesus. That is a lot of rage. And not remembering most of it?

I've been trying to locate this boy's parents so I can talk to them about this situation and making sure he's okay, despite what he had been doing to my son and other kids. I learned that he also has been harassing other kids.

Another concern of mine is that someone may make this into a race issue - he's African American and it's a small town full of Whites with very few African Americans. He's a pretty big kid - getting beat up by a skinny junior kid.

And I agree with you about the school administrators' attitudes - it does not surprise me at all. It's been like that ever since middle school with Ty. His siblings were getting unfair treatment from teachers because of their oldest brother and they realized they were nothing like him.

That's small town for ya. :roll:

With Ty, it shows the worst side of people that a parent normally wouldn't see if their children weren't in trouble (like with his younger siblings). It's interesting.

We already knew the system wasn't right for Ty...but cannot afford to put him elsewhere like a private school.

I personally think that if a lawyer is willing to take this case, it will change their attitude about handling a bullying situation. Unfortunately, a lawsuit seems to do the trick. :(
    ~Q Magazine