Most overused and overrated effect

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
In popular music (rock, hip hop, country, indie, ect) what do you think the most overrated and overused effects are? Obviously, the end result is up the the artist but this is just a matter of opinion.

I'm gonna say Chorus. It's awesome in Master of Puppets and Nirvana but I think it's heavily used in a lot of songs (I'm guilty of using it overly in my early songs, too). Runner up would be Delay.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm with you on chorus. But as I'm a big fan of delay, I wouldn't call that overrated.
    Overall, I'd say the "effect" that annoys me the most, even though it's technically not a guitar effect, would be autotune or whatever you wanna call it. That annoys me enough when it's used to cover up a bad singer, which sometimes is clearly audible, but even more when it's used as an "effect".
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Auto tune. It's horrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune
  • In terms of vocals, the Auto Tune is the WORST "effect" used, I gotta agree with you all there.

I love delay, by the way, I just think it's misused a LOT
  • Without a doubt, it's gotta be wah-wah. I think less than 10% of players who have it, use it tastefully. The rest of the time, it's, "Hey, I'm soloing, and it will be even more awesome if I rock back and forth on this thing."
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Without a doubt, it's gotta be wah-wah. I think less than 10% of players who have it, use it tastefully. The rest of the time, it's, "Hey, I'm soloing, and it will be even more awesome if I rock back and forth on this thing."
    Agreed. When used well, it's awesome. But it's hard to do well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Without a doubt, it's gotta be wah-wah. I think less than 10% of players who have it, use it tastefully. The rest of the time, it's, "Hey, I'm soloing, and it will be even more awesome if I rock back and forth on this thing."

True...but I don't know any other pedal I can make sex faces while doing it....so the Wah is on the top of my list.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i personally believe that in this day and age the digitech whammy is fast becoming highly overused. seems like all someone has to do is switch it on and do a few a few octave sweeps with hammer ons and finger tapping and they are being called the next steve vai.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?

True...but I don't know any other pedal I can make sex faces while doing it....so the Wah is on the top of my list.
    HAhahaa, and your profile picture is awesome
  • kigcat wrote:
    i personally believe that in this day and age the digitech whammy is fast becoming highly overused. seems like all someone has to do is switch it on and do a few a few octave sweeps with hammer ons and finger tapping and they are being called the next steve vai.

You're right. Just recently my band played a show with a band where the guitar player did exactly that. But it was still fun to listen to other people praising his skills.
  • You're right. Just recently my band played a show with a band where the guitar player did exactly that. But it was still fun to listen to other people praising his skills.

It's funny, I often feel the same about delay. It's an effect that makes some guitar players look and sound WAAAY more talented, especially to people who don't understand the gear. But I love delay.... it makes me seem like a better player....

Of course, just the switch from acoustic guitar to electric guitar will make any player sound twice as good, and distortion will double that again.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • You're right. Just recently my band played a show with a band where the guitar player did exactly that. But it was still fun to listen to other people praising his skills.

It's funny, I often feel the same about delay. It's an effect that makes some guitar players look and sound WAAAY more talented, especially to people who don't understand the gear. But I love delay.... it makes me seem like a better player....

Of course, just the switch from acoustic guitar to electric guitar will make any player sound twice as good, and distortion will double that again.
    NOW do you see why I have so many pedals on my board ;)

My wah was broken for a few weeks and I had to play without it. Well, during practice, I used NO pedals, except the channel switcher and I realized I could still sound awesome (like I used to), before I relied on pedals. Given, I did have the overdrive on, but still. I'm at the point now where the pedals are starting to hold me back. I wish I kinda had a tube screamer, at practice that day, simply to help the sustain. However, I agree that the pedals make people sound a lot better than they should. This is why I wish I started on acoustic and not electric. Electric allows you to mask your mistakes better.
  • Being in college lately, I've been playing 95% acoustic. It's made my electric playing SOO much cleaner and more melodic.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

hahaha WORD.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .

HAhahaa, and your profile picture is awesome
    someone posted that pic in a thread on the moving train a few months ago and got banned for a few weeks over it....be careful...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • But I love delay.... it makes me seem like a better player....
    Same here! :D
  • nothing new, the wah-wah......listen to the George Harrison song...says it all y'all
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Wahwah

distortion-why use pedals?
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    High gain / distortion pedals. Can turn music into mud.
  • I guess its just me but I'd say Reverb. I think reverb sounds great in its place, and terrible when used everywhere else. Maybe thats just me though. A buddy of mine I play with drowns everything in reverb even if the song doesn't call for it, so maybe thats what gets me.

Also, too much distortion being used these days. I've seen many covers of things that are supposed to have very slight distortion and people kill it with metal-type bone crushing distortion.
  • I guess its just me but I'd say Reverb. I think reverb sounds great in its place, and terrible when used everywhere else. Maybe thats just me though. A buddy of mine I play with drowns everything in reverb even if the song doesn't call for it, so maybe thats what gets me.

Also, too much distortion being used these days. I've seen many covers of things that are supposed to have very slight distortion and people kill it with metal-type bone crushing distortion.
    Define too much, in terms of reverb. I love reverb BUT it depends on the type of reverb.

Agreed with the distortion on covers. It drives me insane