Blues Deluxe vs Hot Rod Deluxe

small_my_tablesmall_my_table Posts: 90
edited February 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all, i've been playing the guitar for 5-6 years and am looking at upgrading to a tube amp. I've heard a lot of praise for the fender hot rod deluxe on this board, and am seriously considering buying one, having tried one earlier today. Just wondering, what is the difference in tone between this and the blues deluxe? Any help would be much appreciated :D
This is not for you...
Speaking as a child of the nineties
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• From what I know, the clean channels on both are very similar, with the Blues Deluxe having just a little more "woody" tone like a tweed amp from the 1950's, whereas the Hot Rod Deluxe is a smoother clean like the blackface amps of the 1960's.

The bigger difference is in the drive channels, where the Blues Deluxe tries to be more of an overdrive/blues tone (makes sense), and the Hot Rod Deluxe tries to have more of a distortion. Most players agree that the Hot Rod Deluxe's drive channel sounds pretty bad, but a lot more players are at least okay with the drive channel on the Blues Deluxe. That said, I don't think the drive channel on either one sounds very good (although I've known players who were happy with the tone, and even heard some decent tones from them with other players). The biggest advantage of both amps (slight edge to the Hot Rod here) is how well they interact with pedals, especially drive/distortion pedals. So if you've got a good drive pedal that responds well to your playing, it's a pretty safe bet either way.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks so much! I'll be using pedals for dirt mostly, so i'll probably just go for the better deal of the two(likely the HRDx).
    Happy holidays!
    This is not for you...
  • Yeah, you can usually find the HRD's easier. And especially used, they're a pretty good buy. It's sometimes worth it if you know a good electronics or amp tech to have the connections checked, solder joints, etc.

I've often said that the HRD would be perfect if they'd swap their drive channel for basically the guts of a Tubescreamer. Put a RC4558 in there and call it good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Again, I won't stop reccomending the Traynor YCV40. Just as good a clean channel and a MUCH better overdrive channel. These amps might be the best kept secret in the guitar market.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    if you can source one and pay a bit more go for a limited edition hot rod deluxe over a normal one. they have a better speaker (jensen) and some other mods, i love mine :D

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Pappas wrote:
    if you can source one and pay a bit more go for a limited edition hot rod deluxe over a normal one. they have a better speaker (jensen) and some other mods, i love mine :D
    If i come across one i'll check it out. Thanks :)
    This is not for you...
  • Hey, just an update, I found a used HRD limited edition (with a jensen speaker) and bought it a couple days ago. I couldn't be happier with it, and just wanted to thank all of you for helping me out, I really appreciate it.
    This is not for you...
  • Hey, just an update, I found a used HRD limited edition (with a jensen speaker) and bought it a couple days ago. I couldn't be happier with it, and just wanted to thank all of you for helping me out, I really appreciate it.
    Congrats! Now play the shit out of it!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Hey, just an update, I found a used HRD limited edition (with a jensen speaker) and bought it a couple days ago. I couldn't be happier with it, and just wanted to thank all of you for helping me out, I really appreciate it.
    Congrats! Now play the shit out of it!

what he said!! love my HRD!! enjoy it, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com