Hot Rod Deluxe vs. VOX AC15CC1

greggv19greggv19 Posts: 37
edited December 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Debating on purchasing one or the other. I mostly play thru humbuckers and typically like amp overdrive for distortion. Any thoughts on either of the 2? I bought a VOX AC50CP2 last year and it died within a few weeks. I then bought a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 and the reverb never worked on that. I ended up getting a Peavey Valveking 212 because VOX & Fender both let me down and it is just too much amp and OD for me. I want to gp back to the Fender or Vox and am just unsure...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, I just sold my AC15CC1 a week ago. You should try it somewhere before buying one. Don't get me wrong, it's really good amp, nice spring reverb and tremolo. But I wasn't fully satisfied with it. I wanted to changed it for something new, something different.
    I had two options: FENDER HOT ROD DELUXE & PEAVEY CLASSIC 30. And I ended up with CLASSIC 30. 30 watt, 2 channels, reverb, boost, really nice clean, enough gain, great sounding.
    If you have a chance you should try them all. GOOD LUCK!!
    Warsaw 96/11/01 ; Katowice 00/06/15, Katowice 00/06/16 ; Chicago 03/06/18 ; Chicago 06/05/16 ; Chicago 06/05/17 ; Chicago 07/08/05 ; Boston 08/06/30 ; Philadelphia 09/10/27 ; New York 10/05/20 ; New York 10/05/21 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/03 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/04 ; Wrigley Field 13/07/19 ; Pittsburgh 13/10/11 ; St.Louis 14/10/03
  • Neither. Go for the Traynor YCV40.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Yeah, I'd have to agree with in_the_mud here. It sounds like EL-84 power tubes may be your thing, and the Classic 30 has 'em. Also, it's a really reliable amp, pretty affordable, and it's probably worth mentioning that Stone Gossard has played Peavey amps (he has played the Delta Blues 210, which you should also check out). If you want more juice, the Classic 50 is available with 50 watts, and your choice of 4x10" or 2x12" config's.

That being said, I've always been a big fan of the Fender Hot Rod amps as a basic tube-amp canvas for pedal junkies, so if you derive your tone from your pedalboard, then Hot Rods are the way to go. Since you prefer amp overdrive, though, that's a weak spot on the Hot Rods. The Fender Blues amps (Blues DeVille and Blues Deluxe) are similar to the Hot Rod amps, but have a better overdrive. Then again, Traynor (like keeponrockin suggested) will almost always beat Fender in the on-board tube distortion department. Marshalls are also pretty good for on-board tube drive, and you might be able to find a decent deal on a used JCM 900 or 2000, although they do tend to be more expensive than anything else we've talked about.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I don't rally know if this adds anything to the matter, but I've just finished some recording using a hot rod (DeVille 2x12) and I can tell you that it's got a great clean tone for the price. As most of the overdriven tones in the studio were done using other amps, all I can only tell you on overdrive is that it's been a grat live amp for the past couple of months and, like MIG said, takes pedals really well.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i have a HRD & absolutely love it. like everyone else has said, you need a pedal for the overdrive. but you just can't beat the clean tone in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com