Interesting blurb on hitsdailydouble.com

T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
edited December 2009 in The Porch
LIFE AFTER THE MAJORS: Certain high-profile acts—Prince, Radiohead and Madonna among them—have experimented with conducting their careers outside the major label system, and this year Pearl Jam joined their ranks. These veterans, in tandem with longtime manager Kelly Curtis, were savvy enough to draw on the expertise of Michele Anthony, a former label executive with a keen understanding of how the system works and a two-decade relationship with the band. Together, they drew up an innovative business plan encompassing Target, iTunes, Verizon and indie retail to launch their first post-major venture. While sales on the self-released Backspacer haven’t approached those of their heyday with Epic in the ’90s, the LP has moved a more than respectable 400k units, and looks to continue strong into the new year behind breaking singles. Those units, plus tour revenue and the deals with their partners, add up to a giant payday for the band. Successful transitions like Pearl Jam’s have wonderers wondering which major acts will take the plunge in 2010.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/new ... ?news07879

Great to see that this effort is being deemed a success. I'd hate to see them go back to the major labels because they can't do it on their own. This proves that they can. It gives them a lot of freedom to make the music they want, sell and distribute in the manner they want, and not have to rely on a label to promote the band. Basically, they're the biggest indie band in the world. I think they are in their comfort zone.

What is also great is the part about 'breaking singles'. They can release as many singles as they want without a label telling them what to do or pulling the plug on promotion after a certain point.
"Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Yeah, this is good news me thinks. ;)

stay indie PJ !!!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Why not sign with Sub Pop and have the record distributed everywhere????
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Sub Pop? Do they still make records? There's certianlyno reason for Pearl Jam to sign on with a lael unless it's major like Sony.
    Get over here!
  • They'd be crazy to sign with anyone if they can do it on their own. They got $5 per record by doing their Target deal and they didn't have to leave out independent stores.

With Sub Pop, Sony, or anybody else they're not getting more than $2 per record and their at the mercy of a record company for promotion, distribution, etc.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"