PJ Indie rock?

DedvwDedvw Posts: 246
edited December 2009 in The Porch
While on vacation in Mexico, I met up with some guys running a radio station (from Seattle, WA ironically) that said they use to love PJ. One of the guys claims has seen them 10 times but is no longer into them since the became and "Indie band".

When PJ technically became an Indie band? Am I correct is saying that J record wouldn't be considered Indie because it is part of Sony? So does this mean they are only recently an Indie Band under Monkeywrench?

The radio guy has not even heard Backspacer so I know he was talking about past recordings.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I think Pearl Jam has too big a name to be allowed into the indie rock category, no matter what label they're on. Thoughit seems nobody listens to their new stuff much like some indie rock. But now indie rock is more popular than ever. So maybe Pearl Jam still has the marketable name but nobody listens to their new music.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited December 2009
    There should be a basic music knowledge test people must pass before they are allowed to run a radio station.

Although, Backspacer is pretty much independant.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Technically one could label them as an indie band because they just recently released this new album independently... However i have no idea if this is what the radio station is refering to or not... I agree the band has too big of a name to be truly considered "indie". But from a literal stand point, that is kind of what they are.
  • DedvwDedvw Posts: 246
    I agree, I think this can be looked at a number of ways (including the music test for radio peeps).

The more I think about it, the more confusing it becomes.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I actually think a few songs on Backspacer have an "indie" feel to them. The Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Got Some, maybe one other.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Ive given this a lot of thought. Yes, they are now on an independent label. However, I can't see them being considered Indie rock any further beyond this. A band that sells 15 million albums of their debut cannot be considered indie. Fast-forward 18 years, a band that signs a distribution deal with Target cannot be considered indie. Now the OP does have a point (what up Vacationland!). In doing albums like No Code/Yield/Binaural/Riot Act, many fans have been turned off. When you think about how many viable singles came from those albums, they are scarce. This perhaps may be what these two Mexican DJ's are referring to. Unfortunately, these guys, like a lot of my friends, turned a deaf ear to PJ during this stretch of albums. Indie rock is a very ambiguous term nowadays. It can mean different things to different people, but I am having a tough time considering adorning our boys with this moniker.

P.S. I think the name Mexican DJ's would be a badass name for an indie rock band.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • do they play soundgarden on that station? do they play nirvana?

Sub Pop is an indie label that played a key role in the Seattle grunge movement... if you were a grunge fan in the mid-late 80's early 90's you were also a indie band fan...i know PJ wasn't part of Sub Pop but their contemporaries in the early 90's were...

today Sub Pop is the label for

The Shins, Iron and Wine, Fleet Foxes, The Fruit Bats...all reputable indie bands...all part of the same label many of our grunge forefathers were on...

sorry but poor recognition of indie bands just purely shows bad research