Vitalogy

JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I Finally Get It!!!

Like all Pearl Jam music, I tend to strongly dislike it at first. This was no exception for Vitalogy. Last night during another case of insomnia, I put Vitalogy in to give it another go. This time, for some reason, I got it! it just makes sense now!

At first I had a really hard time listening to it because of some tracks like Aye Davanita and foxymophandlemamma. I also hated Satan's Bed.

Listening to this album again for some reason clicked. It made sense with my mental state at this point in my life and I love it now.

Pearl Jam, for me, has for some reason been an acquired taste like coffee and reading. For every album it has been like this. I think it makes me appreciate PJ even more because I go through this initial struggle to understand them.

I feel that it's better than a band or song you hear that immediately becomes your favorite, because in a year or two you will probably have found another band or song, and you will have forgotten your previous one.

anyway, I just wanted to share my late revelation to you all.

Merry Christmas,
-Joe
2006 - Washington D.C.
2010 - Bristow, VA
2013 - Charlottesville, VA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Welcome aboard! :-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • When Vitalogy was first released, I really liked it. After about 100 listens, I put it down for about 4 years. Then, oh my...I re-discovered it in a huge way. This is one of the best albums ever released IMO.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it's not for you
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    great album, my 2nd fav after yield
  • 81 wrote:
    it's not for you

Ba-duh-chum :lol:

Besides being the only Pearl Jam album with significant amounts of filler, the rest of this album is really awesome. I'd never really appreciated Tremor Christ for some reason, until very recently. On the other hand, Immortality is a long-time favorite and my current "favorite song" (by anyone). This is also the first PJ album (maybe anyone's album) that I bought the day it came out, so it has some specialy significance. Of course, my vinyl isn't holding up so well...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Vitalogy is awesome :D
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • I LOOOOVEEE Satan's Bed!!!!!!!
  • A spanking...that's the only thing I need so much.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Vitology for me has always brought me back to being in high school when I had zero self-esteem and raging hormones. Everytime I hear the album cut of Betterman it transports me back to that time.
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/17/1998
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/18/2000
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 06/22/2003
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 05/07/2010
  • googoo Posts: 226
    I think Vitalogy will always be the band's finest work besides VS.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    My personal favorite album of theirs - sure, there's filler, but it only serves to enhance the mood of the album.
  • It's DEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE....................OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You know what it's like...right?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • good for u..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    Felt a sudden urge to listen to some VITALOGY!! 8-)

So I put my headphones on and started going through songs and I really had forgotten what a SOLID PURE MAGICAL record this is! :o

I mean I can listen to it all the way through without the need to skip ANY of the songs. And yes, heyfoxymophandlemama does it for me. I just love the way the intensity grows on that one. :think:

This is Pearl Jam's proudest moment. I really have to get this on VINYL!

"And, i can still fantasize, but i keep it to myself...
    Keep it to myself...keep it to myself...
    ...that i can walk without hands of theirs...
    And, i can still fantasize, but i keep it to myself...
    I think i deserve to be loved, don't you?
    ...that i can walk without hands of theirs...
    And, i can still fantasize, but i keep it to myself...
    I think i deserve to be loved, don't you?
    Very much so... "
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • TheVan218TheVan218 Posts: 302
    My favorite album of all time. Once you look really deep into it and you realize, "oh my god, this is a man's struggle", and almost vicariously you live Eddie's life, you see that this album is just so damn beautiful, in a creepy, eerie, falling apart at the seems type of way.
  • I agree, Vitalogy gets a bad rap. As far as Ed's voice and the guitar sound it's the rawest i've ever heard them sound on a record.

Too bad I Got Id and Long Road couldn't have been recorded just a year or so earlier and made it on the record. Personally they would have been a great substitute for the filler crap like Foxy Mop Handle...blah, blah and Pry To. I could do without Bugs although at least it's more of a "traditional formatted" song.

Anyway, cheers!
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    blunt + aye davanita + sunshine = heaven. 8-)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
    As far as Ed's voice and the guitar sound it's the rawest i've ever heard them sound on a record.!

Yeah, the whole production (or anti-production) is something that really shines on Vitalogy. It's raw, punky, edgy and captures song's live-vibe perfectly.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
  • TT8270 wrote:
    As far as Ed's voice and the guitar sound it's the rawest i've ever heard them sound on a record.!

Yeah, the whole production (or anti-production) is something that really shines on Vitalogy. It's raw, punky, edgy and captures song's live-vibe perfectly.

Word! I was just thinking if they ever put out anything that could be remotely considered "punk" it would be that one. I think it is cool because I've heard that it was mostly all songs Ed put together. If that is true it really is the only album that shows his influences directly.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Great LP. Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are probably one of the few 3 great albums in a row put out by a band.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • musicmanmusicman Posts: 98
    blunt + aye davanita + sunshine = heaven. 8-)

+1 :clap:
    "I wanna rock and roll all night and PART OF every day"
  • This album has the best Pearl Jam´s song... TREMOR CHRIST :D
    Luiz de Marco
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I love Vitalogy. Always have, always will. Aye anf foxymop are great in my opinion. The bass in Aye hits extremely hard and the bass line in foxy mop is just plain sick. Half a bottle of tequila and a hit of some good trip makes foxy mop a spiritual experience. Wait....those make everything a deeply spiritual experience. Love it! :)
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    A spanking...that's the only thing I need so much.

hahahahahahahaha
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Loved it from the first note I heard. That's why I call it GORGEOUS BEAST.
    ps: anybody who knows me, is well aware of the fact that TC is my homeboy.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    I think it is cool because I've heard that it was mostly all songs Ed put together. If that is true it really is the only album that shows his influences directly.

The album "Ed put together" must've been No Code. I've read an interview where he said the album would've been better if it had been more of a band effort. IMHO Vitalogy is a BAND record. Songs were made during the VS. tour, @ soundchecks etc. and most of the songs were tested in front of a live audience well before they were commercially released.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Great Album! I LOVE the "Live" versions of CORDUROY back then...where ED ***Screams*** out the Song!...;)
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Great Album! I LOVE the "Live" versions of CORDUROY back then...where ED ***Screams*** out the Song!...;)

oh yeah! How about Corduroy from Bridge School '96! That's wicked too :D
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    I agree, Vitalogy gets a bad rap. As far as Ed's voice and the guitar sound it's the rawest i've ever heard them sound on a record.

Too bad I Got Id and Long Road couldn't have been recorded just a year or so earlier and made it on the record. Personally they would have been a great substitute for the filler crap like Foxy Mop Handle...blah, blah and Pry To. I could do without Bugs although at least it's more of a "traditional formatted" song.

Anyway, cheers!

how does it get a bad rap? i'm pretty sure it was critically praised when it came out and even people who don't listen to pearl jam like the songs corduroy and better man.
    i agree, i got id and long road would have sounded amazing on it.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    TT8270 wrote:
    I think it is cool because I've heard that it was mostly all songs Ed put together. If that is true it really is the only album that shows his influences directly.

The album "Ed put together" must've been No Code. I've read an interview where he said the album would've been better if it had been more of a band effort. IMHO Vitalogy is a BAND record. Songs were made during the VS. tour, @ soundchecks etc. and most of the songs were tested in front of a live audience well before they were commercially released.

In SVT Ed says something to the effect of "it was the third record, I was playing a bunch of songs on guitar myself, but now its a collective effort, everybody with their hammers and claws..."

Third record is Vitalogy. However, I agree that No Code is also an at least in part an Ed arrangement... the main point of evidence is right on the album packaging... "album concept Jerome Turner"

I used to put my Vitalogy tape in my walkman and listen to it while running... even still the album always infuses me with energy.
    I agree, Vitalogy gets a bad rap. As far as Ed's voice and the guitar sound it's the rawest i've ever heard them sound on a record.

Anyway, cheers!

how does it get a bad rap? i'm pretty sure it was critically praised when it came out and even people who don't listen to pearl jam like the songs corduroy and better man.
    i agree, i got id and long road would have sounded amazing on it.

Vitalogy was critically praised... Spin The Black Circle won a grammy.