Options

Broken Bells (James Mercer and Danger Mouse)

boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
edited November 2013 in Other Music
The duo have released their first single, High Road. You can hear it here: http://www.brokenbells.com/home.html

Free download of the song available there too. The song's fantastic. I have high hopes for this collaboration.
It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Sounds great. Kinda been wondering what Mercer has been up to with all the changes that the Shins have undergone over the last year.

Although former drummer Jesse Sandoval makes some tasty sopiapillas at his Food Cart. :lol:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    guess i've been out of the loop, what changes have the shins gone through in the past year??

i've been wondering the past few months off and on about when would there be a new shins release and been meaning to look them up, this seems interesting, though
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    guess i've been out of the loop, what changes have the shins gone through in the past year??

i've been wondering the past few months off and on about when would there be a new shins release and been meaning to look them up, this seems interesting, though

they jumped ship from sub pop and dropped/added a couple members.

personally, i'll take the shins over this. musically puts me to sleep, though it's nice to hear mercer's voice and i like the bit at the end where his voice comes over the chorus. i'm interested to see where this collaboration goes.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Heard about this on the radio this morning & was intrigued- just listened to the song, and actually really dig it!! Excited to hear more stuff!

One question-- where'd you see the free download?
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    The free download is on the Broken Bells website.

I really dig this song. Mercer has a great voice and Danger Mouse contributes typically excellent production (it reminds me of his work on Modern Guilt).
  • Options

The fired their drummer and replaced him with one of Modest Mouse's drummer. Also fired their bassist. Still supposed to be a new Shins album in the spring, as well as the Broken Bells album.
  • Options
    another new song streaming on their myspace, called vaporize. sounds great, i love the distortion on mercers voice towards the middle
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Options
    AnarionKingAnarionKing Posts: 170
    I got the album a few days ago, and I think it is excellent. Mercer's voice just keep on getting better and better.
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Love this album.
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    this is really really a great album!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    amazing album
  • Options
    Forgot this came out. I want it now, thank god for the iphone.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Caught this single on the radio a few days ago.
    I don't know much about the Mercer, + even less about Danger Mouse.
    Groovy song, however; I gotta go find this d/l!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    I picked this up yesterday...glad I did. Overall, a GREAT record.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    jaboodeyjaboodey Rochester, NH Posts: 90
    I love this album and think Danger Mouse is a genius....Not a big fan of the Shins, but listened to a sample on Allmusic.com and took a chance and so glad I did.
    I'm also digging the new BRMC cd, very much.
    Rochester NY '94, E Rutherford NJ '98, MSG '98
    Jones Beach 2000, Mansfield 03, Camden 03, Hershey 03
    Boston VFC 04, Halifax 05
    Hartford 06, Boston 06, E Rutherford 06
    Mansfield I & II 08, Philly Spectrum -Halloween 09! Hartford '10
    Eddie -Boston 6/16/11, Worcester 2013, Amsterdam 6/16/14,
    Quebec City '16, Ottowa '16, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2016
    London 1 2018, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2018
    Got Id?
  • Options
    jaboodey wrote:
    I love this album and think Danger Mouse is a genius....Not a big fan of the Shins, but listened to a sample on Allmusic.com and took a chance and so glad I did.
    I'm also digging the new BRMC cd, very much.

Wow. I mean, to each his own, but in my opinion, a case can be made for Chutes Too Narrow being the best album of this past decade, and Oh Inverted World and Wincing the Night Away could easily be in the top 20. They have made some of the most vibrant, catchy, and imaginative music of the past ten years. James Mercer is simply brilliant.
  • Options
    There are many subtle differences between Broken Bells and The Shins, so I see how you can like one and not the other. Even though one band has made the greatest music in the world the last ten years :D
  • Options
    I picked this up yesterday...glad I did. Overall, a GREAT record.

So I felt a follow up was worthy to my original post. Now that I've had this for a few days and have already listened to it more often and attentively than many other albums from the past few years, I can safely say that this album is absolutely BRILLIANT throughout.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    Tour Dates are up! I'll be at the Showbox fo sho!

05-18 San Diego, CA – Humphrey’s Concerts by the Bay *
    05-19 Los Angeles, CA – Henry Fonda Theatre *
    05-21 San Francisco, CA – Regency Ballroom *
    05-24 Portland, OR – Wonder Ballroom *
    05-25 Seattle, WA – Showbox at the Market *
    05-26 Vancouver, British Columbia – Commodore Ballroom *
    05-29 Denver, CO – Gothic Theatre *
    05-31 Chicago, IL – Vic Theater *
    06-01 Detroit, MI – St. Andrews Hall *
    06-02 Toronto, Ontario – Queen Elizabeth Theatre *
    06-04 Boston, MA – Royale NightClub *
    06-05 New York, NY – The Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza *
    06-06 Philadelphia, PA – Electric Factory *
    06-07 Washington, DC – 9:30 Club *
    06-10 Atlanta, GA – Center Stage *
    06-11 Athens, GA – 40 Watt Club *
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    Outstanding. I'm glad they are playing San Francisco. I've heard the opening act, The Morning Benders, are good also.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've been really digging this album. Cool stuff.

The begining and end of the album is really good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    High Road is very, very good. I hope the rest of the album is just as good. Danger Mouse was the guy involved in the recent Black Keys and Beck albums, correct?
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    mdigenakis wrote:
    High Road is very, very good. I hope the rest of the album is just as good. Danger Mouse was the guy involved in the recent Black Keys and Beck albums, correct?

yes and he is in gnarls barkley
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    i just bought my tickets for the showbox show...so very excited :D
  • Options
    iamsam_pj wrote:
    I couldn't get BB tickets :(

But I did get tickets to MGMT though :thumbup:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    iamsam_pj wrote:

broken bells is already sold out??! thursday must've been my lucky day. i'm sick of missing out on shows, so i bought tix to every show that i want to see for the next couple of months!

hooray for mgmt...sucks that you can't go to the 2nd night...call out sick ;) i really hope that it's a good show...let me know how the 1st night is.
  • Options
    iamsam_pj wrote:
    iamsam_pj wrote:

broken bells is already sold out??! thursday must've been my lucky day. i'm sick of missing out on shows, so i bought tix to every show that i want to see for the next couple of months!

hooray for mgmt...sucks that you can't go to the 2nd night...call out sick ;) i really hope that it's a good show...let me know how the 1st night is.
    The Portland Broken Bells tickets went on sale before Seattle and I was out of town so I missed the sale.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    They better get themselves to Europe asap :(
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    The website is cool.
    You can also listen/watch/download a couple of live performances at these sites:
    http://www.myspace.com/transmissions
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124040906
  • Options
    I saw them live last night. Decent show. 12-song set. The album, one unreleased song, and a cover of "Crimson and Clover." James Mercer sounded fantastic. Horrible, horrible crowd. Bunch of "hipsters" who spent most of the show talking or playing with their phones.