help making a cool mellow PJ mix for a friend

CopTheRiotActCopTheRiotAct Posts: 953
edited December 2009 in The Porch
She isnt into heavy rock music so the mix is a lot of mellow tunes.. Hopefully this mix will work as a good introduction to PJ. What do you think?

I organised it into a bit of a love story. :D

Its about the guy searching for love and changing his ways, losing the person somehow, doing some soul searching and meeting her again later in life.

LBC
Off He Goes (live)
Down
Lowlight
Amongst the waves
thin air
unthought known
nothingman
I am mine (live)
daughter (its OK) (live)
Small town (live)
just breathe
come back
betterman (live)

anything im missing? i dont want it to be any longer. If anything its gotta be shorter. otherwise the focus will get lost.
...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    you missed one very important song.....black...maybe MTV unplugged or Benaroya Hall, my personal favourite is Atlanta 94. but other then that nice list, if you were to make nothingman a live track, i would suggest seattle 2000 night 2, hard to make a decision between that and the studio version...
  • How about Present Tense and Light Years? Maybe also Given To Fly...
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    cool, i suggest just breathe 10.6.09
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    nice list, but you are missing some of the greats
    all or none (this could be the best mellow song they have)
    nothing as it seems
    immortality
    indifference
    footsteps
    around the bend
  • LBC
    Off He Goes (live 06)
    Down
    Lowlight
    Amongst the waves
    given to fly (live 00)
    light years (live 00)
    nothingman
    Indifference (live 09 brisbane) - REALLY GOOD VERSION with B/H
    I am mine (live)
    daughter (its OK) (live 00)
    Small town (live 06)
    just breathe
    come back
    betterman (live 06)

I am really tempted to put all or none in there because its one of my favs.. But i dont want to put many depressing songs on there. I think she would like songs like thin air and come back better than songs like immortality and indifference.
    hmmm?

I love live versions of every song better, but do you think for a first time listener studio is the way to go?

I got obssessed with the band starting with studio. but now i dont listen to many studio versions at all.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'd add the Save It for Later tag on Better Man
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    edited December 2009

I am really tempted to put all or none in there because its one of my favs.. But i dont want to put many depressing songs on there. I think she would like songs like thin air and come back better than songs like immortality and indifference.
    hmmm?
    well if you want to turn her on to the band

you cannot leave them off

and if she likes comeback better than immortality-shes not the girl for you ;)

indifference-its cool when BH sings, but you just cant beat EV-find a version without BH-IMHO

EDIT: screw it man, just burn the Benaroya show :!:
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • The studio version of "all or none" has a lengthy break of silence until the "hidden track" if I remember correctly, & that would definitely destroy your flow too.

I know your trying to keep the depressing tracks too a minimum but no love for Thumbing My Way???, not even a metion of that track yet and it's by far my fav song.
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • soo many choices!!! lol.
    Get_Right wrote:
    indifference-its cool when BH sings, but you just cant beat EV-find a version without BH-IMHO

the reason i like this particuluar indifference with BH. is because its the first one ive heard where ben puts his own singing style into it. then when ed comes in to do his verses its heaps more powerful. Ive heard many versions with BH that are lame, but this one isnt :)

Release (live anywhere)
    LBC
    Off He Goes (live 06)
    Down
    given to fly (live 00)
    light years (live 00)
    nothingman
    Indifference (live 09 brisbane) - REALLY GOOD VERSION with B/H
    I am mine (live)
    daughter (its OK) (live 00)
    Small town (live 06)
    just breathe
    come back
    betterman (live 06)
    Immortality (benaroya)
  • BiaBia Posts: 32
    I suggest you add in your list "Thumbing my way" and "Crazy Mary".
    I know all the rules but the rules do not know me!

12/04/2005 - Rio de Janeiro

cool man

although I would switch the indifference and immortality

indifference is always a great way to finish
  • C-WordC-Word Posts: 30
    Seems like most things have been mentioned, I'd add Of The Girl, Fatal and Strangest Tribe.
    (Credit to Gerrycan70 for the Avatar)
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    no live version can match the beauty of Indifference studio version. I prefer listening to most of my PJ songs live (boots). That said, Indifference on vs. just can't be topped.
  • PolPol Posts: 60
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys, I'm also making a PJ mix as a gift for a friend. She has a somewhat differing taste in music but has expressed that she really likes some PJ so I'm just kind of arranging this by feel and I would appreciate any suggestions from all you helpful peeps on the board :D .

Here is what I've come up with so far:

LBC
    In Hiding
    Black
    Corduroy
    Light Years
    Fatal
    Wishlist
    Dissident
    Come Back
    Hard To Imagine
    Immortality
    Present Tense
    Footsteps
    Indifference
    Faithful
    Better Man
    Alive

I think it seems to flow quite well but I would appreciate any helpful advice.
    Oh and a Merry Christmas to you all!!!! :P
    Post edited by Pol on
    In Pearl Jam we trust!
  • Kudos to the OP for including Daughter/(It's Ok) from Jones Beach 2000. Im assuming it's this one, from Touring Band.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925