What I love about Pearl Jam

NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Ive been listening to the Newcastle, Australia show from 2006 and it dawned on me that this show represents everything I love about the band: 1. PJ proves that it is one of the very best, if not the best, live bands you will ever hear or see - its a fantastic show; 2. great set list, which, of course, is different from every other night (Alive as an opener, Crown of Thorns, Undone, Thumbing My way, Masters of War); and 3. the band is the best there is when it comes to their fans -- it seems that they played this show as a result of a fan-driven petition!

As I attend shows or listen to boots, there are so many similar stories (from bringing Joni Lee on stage at Philly3 to helping out Melissa Leckie at Adelaide to recognizing fans who have attended multiple shows or helping out countless local charities). And while sometimes people complain about a repeat or two (cant believe they played Jeremy at Philly3 and Philly 4!), there are very few bands who have ever done what Pearl Jam does with respect to truly mixing up the set each night. To me, this is what the live experience should be all about - the energy of PJ shows always seems so free and loose, yet the band's performance is always so tight. Go check out the current U2 tour -- to me, its closer to a broadway show than a rock concert (everything is so choreographed and, other than a song or two, the setlist is identical each night). Ive been going to concerts for over 30 years and ive seen over 300 shows, including the Who, Ramones, Stones, Bruce in his prime, Led Zep, and PJ are one of the very best ive seen. In the end, PJ just seems like a bunch of good guys who kick ass on stage and give a shit about their community and their fans. Cant ask for much more than that!

I continue to be in awe of this band!
6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
6/24/08 (MSG1)
6/25/08 (MSG2)
7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
10/30/09 (Philly3)
5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
5/20/10 (MSG1)
5/21/10 (MSG2)
10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
5/1/16 (MSG 1)
5/2/16 (MSG 2)
3/30/20 (MSG)
9/3/24 I(MSG1)
9/4/24 (MSG 2)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Awe...what a fabulous post!

PJ is awesome! The band is part of all of us...Part of OUR DNA...The Fabric of our being...PJ fans are weaved together...forever bound in the music we are in awe of :D
  • well said my friend....well said.
    I miss you alreddie.
  • the best band ever !!!and this worldwide communitty of their fans is unique
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Ditto ditto ditto!!!
    rustedsigns
  • Kick ass post!

Couldn't agree with you more.
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,412
    I strongly agree with the original posting. Keep on rockin'
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    NYCPJ wrote:
    Ive been listening to the Newcastle, Australia show from 2006 and it dawned on me that this show represents everything I love about the band: 1. PJ proves that it is one of the very best, if not the best, live bands you will ever hear or see - its a fantastic show; 2. great set list, which, of course, is different from every other night (Alive as an opener, Crown of Thorns, Undone, Thumbing My way, Masters of War); and 3. the band is the best there is when it comes to their fans -- a fan picked the set list and it seems that they played this show as a result of a fan-driven petition!

As I attend shows or listen to boots, there are so many similar stories (from bringing Joni Lee on stage at Philly3 to helping out Melissa Leckie at Adelaide to recognizing fans who have attended multiple shows or helping out countless local charities). And while sometimes people complain about a repeat or two (cant believe they played Jeremy at Philly3 and Philly 4!), there are very few bands who have ever done what Pearl Jam does with respect to truly mixing up the set each night. To me, this is what the live experience should be all about - the energy of PJ shows always seems so free and loose, yet the band's performance is always so tight. Go check out the current U2 tour -- to me, its closer to a broadway show than a rock concert (everything is so choreographed and, other than a song or two, the setlist is identical each night). Ive been going to concerts for over 30 years and ive seen over 300 shows, including the Who, Ramones, Stones, Bruce in his prime, Led Zep, and PJ are one of the very best ive seen. In the end, PJ just seems like a bunch of good guys who kick ass on stage and give a shit about their community and their fans. Cant ask for much more than that!

well said! I agree whole heartedly.. after all these years i can honestly say im still proud to be a fan of this band.. they've brought some of the most amazing , nice people in my life...
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    There are some people in this world that genuinely make you think "I can't imagine what the world would be like without them"... five of those people just happen to be in this band
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • What a great post,you said it all and agree with you,PJ are the best for so many reasons :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: !!!
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I totally agree. I was listening to some boots as I've been snowed in and was thinking how amazing this band is. I know that some people on these boards will say one show was more important that the other or that they didn't bring it on a certain night but I feel they bring it no matter what. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and critique, that's what the internet is for, and I think that everyone that gives their opinion would agree, that PJ more than any other band brings it every night no matter where they are. They take every perfomance and their fans seriously.
  • PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 869
    I too totally agree wit hthis post and will also add that ALSO unlike U2, PJ doesn't advertise how they partake in so many worthy causes....reason why, they are more sincere about them and understand it's not about THEM and don't need akalaides(not sure if that was spelled right :lol: )
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • funnygirl wrote:
    PJ fans are weaved together...forever bound in the music we are in awe of :D

Paaaaalease.

puke2.gif
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    funnygirl wrote:

Paaaaalease.

puke2.gif

I am begining to wonder about you G&R......you tend to rain on other peoples parade. Play nice. :?

Agree with Funnygirl on this one, we have a special bond that most people do not understand. Most PJ fans have an inherent understanding that the mutual admiration of the music sets us apart. Way to go Funnygirl, most of us old timers agree with you. :D
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    funnygirl wrote:

Paaaaalease.

puke2.gif
    I thought that thought was beautiful and certainly feel it when I go to the concerts
    soooo
    Paaaalease
    More thoughts like these
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,278
    i agree!
    danny d
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    NYCPJ wrote:
    Go check out the current U2 tour -- to me, its closer to a broadway show than a rock concert (everything is so choreographed and, other than a song or two, the setlist is identical each night).
    but at least they are actually touring all over the place
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    i think funnygirl is hot!

what was this thread about again?

:D
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    funnygirl wrote:
    Awe...what a fabulous post!

PJ is awesome! The band is part of all of us...Part of OUR DNA...The Fabric of our being...PJ fans are weaved together...forever bound in the music we are in awe of :D

This Should be in a 'MILLS & BOON' Novel!...lol :P
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    locked wrote:

PMSL... :lol:
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    locked wrote:

:mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    LukinFan wrote:
    NYCPJ wrote:
    Go check out the current U2 tour -- to me, its closer to a broadway show than a rock concert (everything is so choreographed and, other than a song or two, the setlist is identical each night).
    but at least they are actually touring all over the place

I hear you - but maybe its a choice between limited tours or nothing at all? If thats the case, Im happy with that we have. If PJ wont be happy doing a full-blown tour, I wouldnt want them to do it. Ive seen a lot of bands who did world tours that lasted over a year, hit every area of the country, playing massive stadiums and were clearly just chasing money (uninspired shows, inflated ticket prices, same set every night, no interaction with the crowd, etc). Of course, there is nothing wrong with making money -- just hate to reward people who get greedy and dont offer much to their fans other than a half-assed show.
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    funnygirl wrote:

Paaaaalease.

puke2.gif

I am begining to wonder about you G&R......you tend to rain on other peoples parade. Play nice. :?

Agree with Funnygirl on this one, we have a special bond that most people do not understand. Most PJ fans have an inherent understanding that the mutual admiration of the music sets us apart. Way to go Funnygirl, most of us old timers agree with you. :D

Agreed; I appreciate Funnygirl's comments and it was a very nice thought. Its in line with the spirit of my original post- - one of the things I really like about Pearl Jam is the sense of community and the positive energy. Its the reason why I hooked up a ten club member with my extra ticket for Philly3 (non-ten club ticket) at face price, when i had paid much more than face off of stub hub.
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • locked wrote:

im sure u know u didnt do the biggest discovery..we all see that :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • You guys are very kind, thank you... :D
  • sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    I love them as much as their music -- which is rare.
    They are real, seemingly so. Genuine. Normal.
    I hate to use that word, because everyone has a different opinion of "normal."
    Unassuming, it's so important.
    The older I get, the less I can stomach the masks people put on. I need the truth. And I think we get it from Pearl Jam.
    At least I hope so.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• NYCPJ wrote:
    Ive been listening to the Newcastle, Australia show from 2006 and it dawned on me that this show represents everything I love about the band: 1. PJ proves that it is one of the very best, if not the best, live bands you will ever hear or see - its a fantastic show; 2. great set list, which, of course, is different from every other night (Alive as an opener, Crown of Thorns, Undone, Thumbing My way, Masters of War); and 3. the band is the best there is when it comes to their fans -- it seems that they played this show as a result of a fan-driven petition!

nice :)

its been a real good ride being a pearl jam fan and the thing that really excites me the most is that this past year i saw one of the best shows i have seen, in over 35shows...and no the show i'm talking about wasn't philly 3or4. although those were good shows to...

the show i saw didn't have a ton of rare songs, which is ok with me, but what the show did have was an amazing audience and the band fed off of that to a point where i can say that, for me, the show was epic. the band made it that way cause for them it's impossible to ignore a worthy audience. it was give and take all night long. as much as we kept giving the band kept giving back more. i'm sure everyone in the building had the same feeling when they left that gig as i did. it was pure ecstasy.

the element of surprise is one of pearl jam's greatest strengths...the rotating setlist and the thought of knowing that at any point during the show something magic can happen. and yes the betterman sing along IS magic. some people tend to dwell too much on the rare songs, saying that only because of those is the show really worthy. ugh to that i say. black, corduroy, alive, betterman etc made that show in 2009 incredible for me. so it wasn't bugs or breath etc...

i'm a fan of the hits. LOVE jeremy. LOVE evenflow. etc. i can't do without any of those and i never tire of them. mostly cause im just so in love with everything that pj do. they keep giving and giving. the ride has been a hellofa journey so far. i'm still on the bus cause i know they have some great shows ahead of them, and they always seem to raise the bar for me. so the years keep getting better for me. i absolutely love the new music and it is the lifeblood of the band for me.

the band seem excited to being playing so well in 2009. they are in a very good space now, becoming their own record company and having enough money in the bank to now want to do it for fun. it's a good spot to be in. they have a great fan base.

having said all that i thought the u2 2009 tour was incredible and it's something that pj could not pull off. but its also apples vs oranges.

not that it matters but ive seen well over 600 shows in my life and the reason why i'm still here is because pj got the goods. they have never been less than fucking amazing.

signed,

a sheep for pj
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    The boys are a great band to follow because they never forget us even when things are quiet. Like they make special releases - dvds, boots etc when they're not touring, there's nearly always something to look forward to with this band. I'm hoping they tour the States late next year cos I'm dead set travelling over there to see them.