the raw emotion of amongst the waves...

burghpjfanburghpjfan Posts: 36
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Never have i ever felt so much raw emotion in a song. I lost my mother in january of 2008 at the age of 54 after a 6 month stay in cticu of a local hospital. 2008 was a rough year for my me and my family. However early in 2009, feb 5 to be exact my wife gave birth to our third child and first daughter Ruby. Alot of the lyrics in this song describe exactly how i felt the first time i held my daughter. Thank you to the band for writing such a great song.

" riding high amongst the waves i can feel like i have a soul that has been saved"
" i can feel like i have put away my early grave"

" i can see the light coming through the clouds in rays"
" gotta say it now better now then too late"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    burghpjfan wrote:
    Never have i ever felt so much raw emotion in a song. I lost my mother in january of 2008 at the age of 54 after a 6 month stay in cticu of a local hospital. 2008 was a rough year for my me and my family. However early in 2009, feb 5 to be exact my wife gave birth to our third child and first daughter Ruby. Alot of the lyrics in this song describe exactly how i felt the first time i held my daughter. Thank you to the band for writing such a great song.

" riding high amongst the waves i can feel like i have a soul that has been saved"
    " i can feel like i have put away my early grave"

" i can see the light coming through the clouds in rays"
    " gotta say it now better now then too late"
    I was saying last evening to my husband how very lucky we Pearl Jam fans are. The rest of the world has no idea, not sure why but they don't. What PJ gives to us- the lyrics and music- is like an extension of our emotions. It clarifies our feelings. This is really an incredible bond. I wouldn't want to think of my life without it. I am so sorry for your loss. And I rejoice with you in the birth of your little girl. What a blessing children are. Wherever your Mama is now she is very proud of her son. A man who appreciates life and love is all a Mama can ask for.
  • Yeah, it is a really powerful song. When listening at any kind of vunerable state, it can REALLY suck you in. Glad to hear it has such special meaning for you. Oh, the power of music (and PJ)!!!
  • absolutely one of my favorites at the moment . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Ts3tLEb6E
  • Count me in as a fan of this one.

Gotta support the "Why I love _____" -type threads on this board. To me, these are by far the most positive threads here. Failed former Boston Celtics coach Rick Pitino once said, "All the negativity in this town sucks". Seems like that's an apt description of the general attitude of the porch as of late IMO.

Happy Holidays friends.

P.S. I've only had 5 beers.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • We are very lucky to have a band like Pearl Jam.

"Im a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love." Ed/Jeff/Stone/Mike/Matt/Booooom (That's 6, right?)
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Black-12Black-12 Posts: 249
    That song is hands down my favorite on the new album! I'm glad that it has helped you through a rough time. There music is like a time track to my life! It has helped so much through the years.

We are lucky to have this band!
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Yea this song gives me the chills... love the op's story. My relation to this song is totally different but ill share anyways. Last fall was having a rough go of it and decided to take some time off and travel. I drove coast to coast, but ill never forget the time i spent in yellowstone national park. I had this very surreal feeling the whole time I was there... but I couldn't really articulate it. Then, Amongst the Waves. The simple line- I can feel like I have a soul that has been saved- there it was.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    What I like best about this song is that it's a love song that is excited but positive at the same time. It has no angst, just happiness. (!) :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    yea great song, i know where your coming from, my first daughter is three months old..
    good luck :D