have there ever been 10c only shows?

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited December 2009 in The Porch
i've heard the idea of 10c only shows, but has it ever been done? how do they go down?...

in wondering this, i came up with an idea (realistic or not) that we should have an annual 10c gathering at any given date at any given place...this can take the form of a 10c only concert or just a get together where we, and the band (maybe),can chill and chat, do whatever (if the members are there, have like a questionnaire thing maybe?)...you guys are probably thinking "durrr what do you think the concerts are?" or "durrr what to you think the pre-shows are?"...i'm talking about something HUGE like a big massive event sort of thing 10c only (maybe +1 for spouses and good friends who are PJ fans but not 10c members) and it will take place once a year...it can be held anywhere, America, Canada, South America, Europe, Australia, NZ, Asia, etc...if you are willing to make travel plans, you can if you want or with the fact it could be moved around the world, you can wait till it's close enough to go...

i dunno i just came up with the idea as i was asking myself the above question...thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds good to me.
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/17/1998
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/18/2000
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 06/22/2003
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 05/07/2010
  • To your original question.. yes, there have been 10c only shows. Im not 100% keen to my Pearl Jam Live History like some here, so I will let them go into more detail. I can just answer the main questions. Yes, but not very many (right?)

I believe the showbox dvd was a 10c only show.
  • To your original question.. yes, there have been 10c only shows. Im not 100% keen to my Pearl Jam Live History like some here, so I will let them go into more detail. I can just answer the main questions. Yes, but not very many (right?)

showbox 02' was open to the public

there was a 96' show at the Showbox that served as an unofficial album release party for No Code and that was 10 club only
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

showbox 02' was open to the public

there was a 96' show at the Showbox that served as an unofficial album release party for No Code and that was 10 club only

Thank you for the clarification :)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    the vic 07
    storytellers
    pissbottle man shows

these shows i believe were all 10c only shows
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    storytellers tickets were sold in limited quantity. they were being scalped for outrageous amounts outside the venue.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    they could have in my backyard! we have a nice view of the harbour and ocean!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    choop wrote:
    storytellers tickets were sold in limited quantity. they were being scalped for outrageous amounts outside the venue.
    i believe storytellers was a contest for 10c members that purchased either of the 2 east rutherford concerts seeing as how storytellers was a last minute thing and pushed back one of the east rutherford concerts. but whatever it's all old news anyways.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• One of the early 1995 shows was, i'm sure...

Seattle 2/5 or 2/6? Maybe Missoula 2/8? One of those?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Who were the lucky few that got into ACL? Corporate tix, I suppose?
  • my mom said she went to one in 1995 at the moore
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • I was at one. Pissbottle men at the Moore 2.6.95.

02/06/95 - Moore Theater: Seattle, WA (Fan Club show) [100m]
    attendance: 1,400
    support act: Magnog
    set: Release, Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Not for You, Corduroy, Lukin, Dissident, Act of Love, Animal, State of Love and Trust, Daughter/(W.M.A) /(Stuff and Nonsense), Improv , Whipping, Immortality, Go
    enc 1: The Kids Are Alright, Porch, Jack Irons chant/Blood
    enc 2: Jam, Satan's Bed, Rearviewmirror, Instrumental Jam
    enc 3: Act of Love
    notes: Free tickets were mailed to Ten Club members and PJ appeared as the "Piss Bottle Men." A new song/improv ('The Price of Everything' ?) is dedicated to Riz Rollins, a Seattle record store clerk and occasional funk DJ. Ed explains 'Whipping' as a song "... about getting hit in the face, turning your cheek and getting hit again. Come to think of it, all the songs are about that." 'The Kids Are Alright' is solo by Ed, accompanying himself on guitar. Neil Young joins PJ in a surprise 'Act of Love' encore.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • I was at one. Pissbottle men at the Moore 2.6.95.

set: Release, Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Not for You, Corduroy, Lukin, Dissident, Act of Love, Animal, State of Love and Trust, Daughter/(W.M.A) /(Stuff and Nonsense), Improv , Whipping, Immortality, Go
    notes: Free tickets were mailed to Ten Club members and PJ appeared as the "Piss Bottle Men." A new song/improv ('The Price of Everything' ?) is dedicated to Riz Rollins, a Seattle record store clerk and occasional funk DJ. Ed explains 'Whipping' as a song "... about getting hit in the face, turning your cheek and getting hit again. Come to think of it, all the songs are about that." 'The Kids Are Alright' is solo by Ed, accompanying himself on guitar. Neil Young joins PJ in a surprise 'Act of Love' encore.

Thats the one my parents were at!!
    hahahahah. Yeah they said the tix for free mailed to my mom. I wish I wasn't two years old at the time sounds like it was an amazing show.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • TunnelThroughDenial wrote:
    I was at one. Pissbottle men at the Moore 2.6.95.

I was also at this show. From my understanding, this was a show for Portland-area Ten Club members. The show the previous night was for Seattle Ten Clubbers.

It goes without saying that this was one of the most magical nights of my life. I got a nondescript letter in the mail from the Ten Club one day, opened it and two grey tickets were inside. All my friends knew I was a Pearl Jam nut, and I honestly thought it was a hoax at first. Until I got in the door of the Moore Theater I still was not convinced I was actually going to see Pearl Jam — for free! This concert was in the middle of the long Ticketmaster boycott, too. Pearl Jam was the hottest band in the world at the time, and their supply was not meeting the demand.

My dad drove me and a friend up to Seattle and back on a school night. Pearl Jam opened with "Release" in total darkness and that moment forever placed the song on my mantel as the "Greatest Song Ever." The Moore Theater has seating — it's where the Even Flow video was filmed — but me and my friend rushed to the edge of the stage with a bunch of other younger folks. I was Stone side, and if I'd wanted to I could have grabbed his leg. We were that close. There were no bouncers between us and the band. I also got a cold hard stare from Eddie that lasted probably 10 seconds, but to me it lasted 5 minutes. These guys were gods to me back then and it was both terrifying and thrilling to be able to make eye contact.

I've seen Pearl Jam over 20 times now, but nothing will ever match that moment back in 1995. I think anyone who's lucky or fortunate enough to catch them in an intimate setting like that would probably rank it as their No. 1 show, too. It would be great if they could do things like that again, but with the way information travels these days it could cause a near riot. Even though I got the tickets a week or maybe two before the show, word of them was not spread to the masses. They didn't even put "Pearl Jam" on the front of the theater.

That night, they were the "Pissbottle Men."
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    İts too bad that can't look for a venue that seats about 5000 and make it a 10c only show...
  • julieferjuliefer Posts: 395
    It couldn't have been for just Seattle or Portland fans, I live in Vancouver, BC and I received tickets. I was only 14 at the time and my parents wouldn't drive me to Seattle for the show. I still have the tickets though.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    only one I attended was The Vic in 07: downstairs was 10c only and upstairs (half empty) was VIPs. it was classed as a private show.
  • the irving plaza show in '06 wasn't 10c only but it was only for people who slept on the streets outside tower records for 2 days or spent absurd amounts from the scalpers who did. so similar fans to an all 10c show i'd say.
  • ZidaneZidane Posts: 362
    TunnelThroughDenial wrote:
    I was at one. Pissbottle men at the Moore 2.6.95.

I was also at this show. From my understanding, this was a show for Portland-area Ten Club members. The show the previous night was for Seattle Ten Clubbers.

It goes without saying that this was one of the most magical nights of my life. I got a nondescript letter in the mail from the Ten Club one day, opened it and two grey tickets were inside. All my friends knew I was a Pearl Jam nut, and I honestly thought it was a hoax at first. Until I got in the door of the Moore Theater I still was not convinced I was actually going to see Pearl Jam — for free! This concert was in the middle of the long Ticketmaster boycott, too. Pearl Jam was the hottest band in the world at the time, and their supply was not meeting the demand.

My dad drove me and a friend up to Seattle and back on a school night. Pearl Jam opened with "Release" in total darkness and that moment forever placed the song on my mantel as the "Greatest Song Ever." The Moore Theater has seating — it's where the Even Flow video was filmed — but me and my friend rushed to the edge of the stage with a bunch of other younger folks. I was Stone side, and if I'd wanted to I could have grabbed his leg. We were that close. There were no bouncers between us and the band. I also got a cold hard stare from Eddie that lasted probably 10 seconds, but to me it lasted 5 minutes. These guys were gods to me back then and it was both terrifying and thrilling to be able to make eye contact.

I've seen Pearl Jam over 20 times now, but nothing will ever match that moment back in 1995. I think anyone who's lucky or fortunate enough to catch them in an intimate setting like that would probably rank it as their No. 1 show, too. It would be great if they could do things like that again, but with the way information travels these days it could cause a near riot. Even though I got the tickets a week or maybe two before the show, word of them was not spread to the masses. They didn't even put "Pearl Jam" on the front of the theater.

Great story buddy! Thanks
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Imagine a 10C only Q&A with the band....

10C member number 1: "When will the Philly boots be available?"

M. Cameron: "We can't say, but something big is being prepared as of now"

10C member number 2: "When will the Philly boots be available?"

S. Gossard: "Let's move on to the next question"

10C member number 3: "When will the Philly boots be available?"

E. Vedder: "Are there any questions regarding something different from the Philly boots?"

[all 10C members leave the room]
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Imagine a 10C only Q&A with the band....

10C member number 1: "When will the Philly boots be available?"

M. Cameron: "We can't say, but something big is being prepared as of now"

10C member number 2: "When will the Philly boots be available?"

S. Gossard: "Let's move on to the next question"

10C member number 3: "When will the Philly boots be available?"

E. Vedder: "Are there any questions regarding something different from the Philly boots?"

[all 10C members leave the room]

idk... philly boots wouldn't really come to mind... id wanna know...

is the US tour leg... that was a possibility for May... happening? Will we have MSG shows?!?!?!?!

that's what i want to know. I more concerned with living new future memories than trying to relive those in my past. ;)
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    In the early days there was a bunch. I know there was one in Detroit in the early 90's, like 92 or 93.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    I went to a 10C only show at the Paramount theater (under MSG in NYC) mid April '94. I had just been to my first show - in Springfield MA a week or so earlier and wanted more....then I heard on the radio Z100 had a contest to win tickets to the Paramount and I called and scored a pair. :D
    Red velvet seats and Vitology era Pearl Jam....such fond memories.
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 872
    In Nov. '97 they played an unannounced warm-up 10c-only show at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz before their four shows opening up for the Stones. In fact, so the story goes, Ed supposedly called up a 10c member from the area and told him they were going to play that night and to get the word out. There was a guest list at the front door with fan club members' names only on it. 650 people inside and 1000+ outside with "Pearl Jam" on the marquee.

• I was also at this show. From my understanding, this was a show for Portland-area Ten Club members. The show the previous night was for Seattle Ten Clubbers.

Great post.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    The Letterman show was for 10c only. There were some VIPS upstairs but no public sale.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,905
    KC2917 wrote:
    In Nov. '97 they played an unannounced warm-up 10c-only show at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz before their four shows opening up for the Stones. In fact, so the story goes, Ed supposedly called up a 10c member from the area and told him they were going to play that night and to get the word out. There was a guest list at the front door with fan club members' names only on it. 650 people inside and 1000+ outside with "Pearl Jam" on the marquee.

there are several discrepancies in your version of the "story":

the name "Pearl Jam" never appeared on the marquee. the band played under the name "Honking Seals", with tickets selling for $20. this was not a 10C-only show, many had heard about the show at the very last minute from folks in the know (word spread the afternoon of the show on a PJ listserv called Long Road) but some had lined up as early as 3 days before the show. the official count from the venue back in the day was 800 people in attendance,...

The_Honking_Seals_Marquee.jpg

catalysttix.jpg
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 872
    Oh man I got served!!!!!! I was just "relaying" the "story" I remember "hearing." My "apologies" for all the "discrepancies." (I hope my quotations had the same effect yours did)