Tips for my building my PJ bootleg collection

PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
edited December 2009 in The Porch
I have a few days off for the holidays and I want to finally build my PJ bootleg collection. I know that a lot of great stuff is available on-line and I was hoping to get some advice from the experts on the board.

Here are some of my main questions:

- What is the best source for boots and rare tracks?

- Where is the best place to store the music? External hard drive or burn CDs?

- How big of a time commitment am I looking at? I do not have much outside of about 10 bootlegs that I have purchased in the past.

- In your opinion, what are the "must have" shows that I should find first?

- MP3 or FLAC?

- Any other tips or advice?

Thanks!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Hi there, quite a lot of questions but if it helps:

www.pearljambootlegs.org is a prime source for downloading shows.

An external hard drive is a good way to go and you have all the time in the world to copy cd's

FLAC is the preferred choice by most these days but MP3 is also fine for many including me.

See what answers you get for which shows and look for threads related to boots and shows.

It's a labour of love depending on how long you want to spend. I've been going for 10 years now.

Try boots from 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2006 and see what other suggestions you get. There are many.

Don't try too much at once, they're always there.

Don't sit up too late eh!

Happy times are ahead :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Veddertown - Thanks for the tips. I figured that pearljambootlegs.org would be my best source but did not know what other good sites are out there. Are most of the bootlegs on the site from the soundboard or audience recordings?
  • veddertown wrote:

http://www.pearljambootlegs.org is a prime source for downloading shows.

That site is good for streaming but sucks for downloading. Here's the best blog around for boots: http://spreadingthejam.blogspot.com/

And I agree that mp3 is fine for someone looking to build their collection. You don't want to spend the next year of your life downloading the 2000 tour in FLAC.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Veddertown - Thanks for the tips. I figured that pearljambootlegs.org would be my best source but did not know what other good sites are out there. Are most of the bootlegs on the site from the soundboard or audience recordings?

Pretty much each boot you'll find at that site or the blog I posted is the highest quality recording possible. All the boots from 2000, 2003, 2005, and 2006 are official bootlegs. Most of the pre-2000 shows will be audience recordings but here is a list of the shows that have soundboards or radio broadcast sources: http://web.archive.org/web/200502070315 ... le=fmguide
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • My crystal ball says a reply coming from Demetrios will be coming soon. :mrgreen:
  • SAN DIEGO 2006 :thumbup:
  • Before you start looking for a outside storage space, how much memory do you have available on your computer?
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    What is the best source for boots and rare tracks?

I agree with the person who said pearljambootlets.org. I would also go to gremmie.net for the rare tracks.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Where is the best place to store the music? External hard drive or burn CDs?

Get an external hard drive. Because you have a goal in mind (all shows and rare stuff), I would suggest going with a large one. 1TB or bigger. I would also back up everything on DVD-R's. Hard drives fail and DVD's have a limited lifespan as well but without two different independent copies, you don't really have a reliable backup.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    How big of a time commitment am I looking at? I do not have much outside of about 10 bootlegs that I have purchased in the past.

You are looking at weeks of effort. Not exaggerating.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    In your opinion, what are the "must have" shows that I should find first?

Anything 2000 or later is going to be soundboard, if that is a concern. Otherwise there are a few very early shows I am partial to that are soundboard as well and display an unbelievable amount of energy and legendary playing. Look for Den Haag, Holland (1992-03-02) and Rotterdam, Holland (1992-03-06). There are also a few exceptional shows from the 1996 tour for No Code.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the legendary Atlanta show from 1994-04-03. It may be the show that best encapsulates the first three years of their career as a band.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    MP3 or FLAC?

Download FLAC files. The bottom line is that FLAC is not supported by mp3 players for listening purposes, but if you download FLAC you can convert to mp3 if you would like.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Any other tips or advice?

You should make a spread sheet of shows that you have downloaded so that you don't lose track and waste time repeating your actions. There are also multiple different sources for some of the pre 2000 shows. Some sound better than others. If you make a spread sheet you can track the sound quality and source for the shows you have.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Thanks!!

You're welcome. Hope this helps!!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • I would suggest getting the biggest external HDD you can. I just picked up a 1.5 TB to replace my 3 500 GB drives.
    They are pretty cheap these days.
    If you are going to get into dvd's as well youll need alot of space.

Another thing, keep it organized from the start. Ive been reorganizing for the past few weeks and it a PITA!!

I would definitely get FLAC's over mp3's. You can convert FLAC to mp3, but you should start with the best you can.

Get ready to spend some time on it. There are over 700 shows. And Probably 400 dvd's out there. I have all the shows except for the ones that they are no recordings of. And Im slowing working on the dvd's. I think I only have about 100 left to get.
  • My crystal ball says a reply coming from Demetrios will be coming soon. :mrgreen:

Not Demetrios... but...

If you want to send me an external HD, i will give you

tours in their entirety, and most of 1995 and about 50 shows from 1998.

All in FLAC.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • I appreciate this thread. I'm getting read to collect everything I can as well. Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I need to go get myself an external hard drive!
    1996: Seattle, WA.
    1997: Oakland, CA - (Rolling Stones)
    1998: Portland, OR. & Seattle, WA.
    2009: Portland, OR.
    2011: East Troy, WI. 1 & 2 - PJ20 & Portland, OR. - Ed Solo
    2012: Dallas, TX. - Ed Solo
    2013: Dallas, TX. Oklahoma City, OK. & Portland, OR.
    2014: Tulsa, OK
    2015: Seattle WA. - Mad Season
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Miami, FL. & Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2017: Dana Point - Ohana Fest - Ed Solo
    2018: Seattle WA. 1 & 2 - Safeco
    2021: Dana Point - Ohana Fest & Night 1 & 2 - Ed Solo,
    2022: Louisville, St Louis
    2024: Portland, OR
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great tips and advice. It sounds like I have quite a bit of work ahead of me so it is good to hear from people who have done this in the past.

LeatherMosquitoMan - I will send you a PM. It would be great to get your help in building a base to my collection.

Thanks again to everyone. Any last tips before I start downloading?
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    My crystal ball says a reply coming from Demetrios will be coming soon. :mrgreen:

Not Demetrios... but...

Hi there, this isn't the first time I've seen you make an offer to someone either beginning a collection or helping out someone who has had shows stolen or wiped from their hard drive. This is what makes the board a nice place to visit, not crucifying a first post for asking a 'dumb' question or not using the search function before starting a new thread. We don't visit here to be made to feel small or stupid and you sir are a true gentleman and genuine fan and are amongst the select who always make a kind offer to a fan in need. This is a tremendous offer and I salute you for it. I'm sure PJ-Cubs will be extremely grateful to you.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 443
    It took me years to build my collection but I have pretty much every show the band has played. I know alot of people on here will say just grab the soundboards and fm sources but there really are alot of great audience recordings available too, some actually sound pretty close to a soundboard source.

Any of the shows from Europe in 92 are a great starting point, mostly Den Haag, Tivoli, Zurich where they played the trilogy for the first time. Indio 93 is another great one as is St Petersberg, both Atlantas, Boston and New York in 1994. During the 95 tour alot of the shows were Monkeywrench broadcasts so they sound great, 11/4/95 is one of my favorites. Other than that 11/3/96 in Berlin is a great show one of my favorites. Yield tour has alot of great shows also, too many to name. Use pearljambootlegs.org or preview some of them before you download, also use the Concert Chronology at twofeetthick to check setlists etc..

As far as FLAC/mp3 goes, it depends on what your gonna do with the shows and how much storage space you have to play with.If you are gonna trade and do B&P's or are high on quality use FLAC/SHN, don't pollute the trading pool with mp3s. If you are gonna use em for your own use, get the mp3s. I may add some other show suggestions later if I have time.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    edited December 2009
    hmm .. what to add, what to add ...

Ah media & backup storage!

Tayio Yuden, Sony, Verbatim, TDK, Maxell DVDR's are what I recommend using when backing up audio/video goods. If you're like me, make another backup copy. 2 copies. So if down the road one of the discs don't work, you have another, if anything happens.

Hard Drives. I got's over 7 TB's worth of Pearl Jam goods on Western Digital HD's right now on thy Power House Pearl Jam PC Work Station! Since my first bought WD HD back in '03, haven't had a hickup or error on any of these babies. Doesn't make any loud nosies like the other HD's on the market do. Don't forget what you download from the internet, to make copies to cdr's or dvdr's. Alway's backup your goods.

Audio downloads? Forget MP3 madness collecting people. That's for kids. Download them for personal use only & for your portable MP3 player's. SHN's & Flac's are the way to go. They are uncompressed audio. Unlike the MP3's. You don't make friends with MP3's. In the trading community, SHN's/Flac's/APE's are the audio files you want to collect, to trade, to backup.

Plus get used to using a Torrent. You will find hundreds of live audio (shn/flac) downloads via Torrents. http://bt.etree.org, http://www.dimeadozen.org, http://www.thetradersden.org etc.. are the places to check up. Wanna know of a certain show & if it was taped? Check out http://db.etree.org.

ps .. Aswell, you gotta know the right people. The right connections. Many user's will screw you over in a trade. Many will help & serve you till the end of time. There are alot of good people here that I've known for year's on this message board. In this community. You don't have to search anywhere's else. Believe me.

D
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Must have shows

San Diego 2006
    Gorge 1 2006
    Gorge 2005
    East Troy 2000
    Seattle 1 and 2 2000
    Marseille 2006
    Zagreb 2006
    Mansfield 3 2003
    Benaroya Hall 2003 (although taboo because its still available to purchase)
    MSG 1 and 2 2003
    Newcastle 2006
    Philadelphia 2005

That is off the top of my head but it is a pretty good starting point.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pearljambootlegs.org is defiantly the best source for all the boots. I was working on my collection a few weeks ago. With all the stuff they have on that site plus a few people around here helping I was able to get all the shows from 2000-2007. The current totals I believe are just over 300 boots, for around 55gigs.

If your having trouble finding any let me know and I should be able to help you out with them. I've cross referenced my bootleg list with the list they have in the "Tours" sections on the main Pearl Jam site. It seems they're list might be a little inaccurate though. There are 2 shows listed that I have not been able to find anywhere, and if you look at the set list for those shows there is none, where as all the other have a full set liste.

-Chris
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    should be on everyone's "favorites" link:

http://inthepresenttensevault.blogspot.com/

:o
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    edited December 2009
    locked wrote:
    should be on everyone's "favorites" link:

http://inthepresenttensevault.blogspot.com/

:o

This one too. Everything you need if you don't mind mp3: http://spreadingthejam.blogspot.com/
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

This one two. Everything you need if you don't mind mp3: http://spreadingthejam.blogspot.com/
    this and pearljambootlegs.org are the best pj bootlegs sites

HeavyHands wrote:
    [

You are looking at weeks of effort. Not exaggerating.

more like a year or 2

it took me 2 years to listen to all the shows and find which ones were worthy to be on my ipod. it helps that i have a 80 gig ipod classic.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    get the sound boards (official releases) whenever possible-there are good auds out there, but the SBDs are better
    FLAC files have much better sound in my opinion, but it did take me some time to really notice it
    You will need a FLAC converter if you dont already know that-FLAC frontend is free and easy
    Itunes import using apple loseless if you plan to put them on your ipod-otherwise they get converted to AAC or MP4
    external hard drive is a necessity, in fact, get two-one to store media and one to back up your stuff.
    you spend hours, days, months even, downloading and and converting-you dont want to lose it to a bad drive-either on the computer in an external

good luck-you are about to head down a path that will consume hours of your free time :lol:

Not Demetrios... but...

give props when props r due. this guy is awsome
    All in FLAC.
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    I have a few days off for the holidays and I want to finally build my PJ bootleg collection. I know that a lot of great stuff is available on-line and I was hoping to get some advice from the experts on the board.

Here are some of my main questions:

- What is the best source for boots and rare tracks? - People! or this forum or other trading forums such as red mosuqito. Just search google.

- Where is the best place to store the music? External hard drive or burn CDs? External hardrives can corrupt and die if you dont look after them.. cd's dont die unless you physically break/scratch them... so if you want to just back up your bootlegs its best just burn Data DVDs incase of a fuck up.. or if you want to just burn CDs then obviously thats time consuming and nee da lot of CDs to do it. However its an effort if you want o listen to a show you just gotta find out where the show is in your shelf or whatever then put it in etc.. external hardrives are a lot faster. CDs need physical room room!

- How big of a time commitment am I looking at? I do not have much outside of about 10 bootlegs that I have purchased in the past. Depends on your internet connection... you can download bootlegs fast and just move em to your external hardrive, unless you have a premium account with the websites to which the bootlegs have been uploaded then it may be easer to get them in mass. Just trade with people on a forum (b+p) get a load of data dvds or do an external hardrive b+p.

- In your opinion, what are the "must have" shows that I should find first? Pfft there are so many great shows... some sets are better than others.. 'must have' to me is a varied term.. what does that mean? audience loudness? sound quality? setlist? length of show? are the band tight? etc etc

- MP3 or FLAC? Well if you going to be a TRADER then you need to go FLAC.. whenever you receive shows (apart from the official released ones) they will be in the original format that they were taped in - FLAC/SHN in order to retian all the quality.. once they converted to mp3 (if not done properly) then you loose quality. So if you want to keep in mp3 then keep for personal use.

- Any other tips or advice? get from $$$$

Thanks!!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    Trading, freebing & B+P'ing, INFO on Pearl Jam bootlegs, great place to check out is ...

http://db.etree.org/bs_d.php?artist_key=23

8-)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,783
    GET RIGHT quote:good luck-you are about to head down a path that will consume hours of your free time :lol:[/quote]

This just made me laugh, becuase its TRUE :lol: But, if your old like me, and don't play sports anymore, collecting PJ Boots is a GREAT alternative> :lol: I started collecting in June 2009, and i'm ONLY up to about 475 Boots.

Also check this site out: http://www.zombtracker.the-zomb.com/

Right now its RATIO FREE, so i suggest you get DOWNLOADING> :lol: ..............CUTZ
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,783
    veddertown wrote:
    My crystal ball says a reply coming from Demetrios will be coming soon. :mrgreen:

Not Demetrios... but...

Hi there, this isn't the first time I've seen you make an offer to someone either beginning a collection or helping out someone who has had shows stolen or wiped from their hard drive. This is what makes the board a nice place to visit, not crucifying a first post for asking a 'dumb' question or not using the search function before starting a new thread. We don't visit here to be made to feel small or stupid and you sir are a true gentleman and genuine fan and are amongst the select who always make a kind offer to a fan in need. This is a tremendous offer and I salute you for it. I'm sure PJ-Cubs will be extremely grateful to you.

I agree with this post %100. LEATHERMOSQUITOMAN was/is a BIG HELP for me(and i'm sure he's been to ALOT of others as well), so you're absolutely right about him. Thanks again LMM......................CUTZ