Bass Guitar

Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
edited December 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
So my wife has been in love with the bass guitar since we got back from Philly and she calls me up today and tells me that her father bought her one. How much is it akin to a regular guitar as far as theory goes? I know that the basic layout is the same as far as the four strings on the bass mirroring the E, A, D, G on the guitar but should I teach her some of the same techniques I learned on the guitar. I've picked up a bass once in my life and that was 2 weeks ago and just messed around with it. Any help would be more than welcome.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Show her what a base note is. You play a chord and then show her the base note of it so it can match you. Then, You can play 2-3-4 chord songs and she can play along
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I just starting learning bass. The one huge difference so far is finding different notes because they are spaced out a lot more than on a regular guitar, so my non-strumming hand is moving alot more than with chords, especially the indiviudal fingers.

good luck
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I JUST started OFF with the '12 Bar Blues' or OTHER 'Various' Scales and just Me$$ around with it :)