MTV VMA 1992 & 1993

FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
edited December 2009 in The Porch
From a rock perspective, I wonder if the 1992 edition of the MTV VMA can ever be surpassed.

Of course, Pearl Jam played a stunning version of Jeremy. Nirvana with a legendary performance of Lithium. And there were Guns N' Roses, U2, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Black Crowes and Def Leppard.

Big names like Michael Jackson, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Bryan Adams, Bobby Brown and En Vogue completed the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gn2NFlix3w&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2XOn9qdJfk

In 1993, the band received four awards for the Jeremy video and played Animal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgfYVq5Y5A) and Rocking In The Free World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N02htb6UMl4) with Neil Young.

MTV wrote about this edition (http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/1993):

Pearl Jam was the belle of the ball. The Seattle-based band performed "Jeremy" a year earlier on the VMAs and came back to collect and armful of Moonmen for its Mark Pellington-directed clip: Best Group Video, Best Metal/Hard Rock Video, Best Direction and Video of the Year. Interestingly, it wasn't long after this success that the band gave up making videos entirely. The Eddie Vedder-fronted group also performed "Animal" during the show, one of only a few songs performed during a VMA show that never had a representative video on MTV. To top it off, after "Animal," grunge Godfather Neil Young joined the band for a run through his "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World." Surely 1993 was definitely PJ's VMA year.
Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I remember being in 8th grade watching the 92 awards with my dad. I had the VCR ready to go so I could record PJ when they came on. I still have the VHS tape but no VCR.
    EV Solo NY 8/4,5/08
    MSG 6/24,25/08
    Gorge 7/22,23/06
    NJ 6/1/06
    Hartford 5/13/06
    Borgata 10/1/05
    MSG 7/8,9/03
    Uniondale,NY 4/30/03
    Boston 8/30/00
    Jones Beach,NY 8/23,24,25/00
    W.Palm Beach 8/9/00
    MSG 9/10,11/98
    Randalls Island,NY 9/29/96
  • Feiraco wrote:
    From a rock perspective, I wonder if the 1992 edition of the MTV VMA can ever be surpassed.

Of course, Pearl Jam played a stunning version of Jeremy. Nirvana with a legendary performance of Lithium. And there were Guns N' Roses, U2, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Black Crowes and Def Leppard.

Big names like Michael Jackson, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Bryan Adams, Bobby Brown and En Vogue completed the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gn2NFlix3w&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2XOn9qdJfk

no way, but only because en vogue was there.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    That was the best VMA. I still have the VHS and it still plays, I wish they would put it on DVD. It seems after that year they were not the same. Let's not forget Howard Stern's Fartman saggy ass pissing off Metallica.
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    This was the night when Vedder slows danced with Cobain during Tears in Heaven and they 'made up'.

Cobain had found another enemy in Axl Rose. If the rumours are true, Rose challenged Cobain for a fight back stage and Cobain spat on the piano he though that Rose was going to play... but Elton John did!
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • Best awards ever!! 93 wasn't half bad either.
    PJam winning around 6 awards for Jeremy. Played Animal for the 1st time ever & Rockin in the free world with Neil Young.
    Lenny Kravitz & John paul jones!!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Best awards ever!! 93 wasn't half bad either.
    PJam winning around 6 awards for Jeremy. Played Animal for the 1st time ever & Rockin in the free world with Neil Young.
    Lenny Kravitz & John paul jones!!

That was the performance that hooked me. Animal --> RITFW w/ Neil.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • ahh, good times, good times. :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    I too got hooked when i saw the 1993 awards. I personally think it was the best one. I am still kicking myself for taping over my copy. Anyone have a decent copy of the show in its entirety that they'd be willing to share?
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • Completely off topic but last year Murphy Brown was on (since when did that show start coming back on? XD) and in the particular episode that was online they mentioned that night. They said something along the lines of "and Pearl Jam is to perform on stage with Neil Young for Rockin' In The Free World"

It was weird, does anyone know what episode I'm talking about?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    that 1992 performance of Lithium was massive, how about the opening chords of Rape Me played and the backstory behind that, then Chris throwing the bass up and it hitting his head and knocking him out for a couple of seconds and then Dave mouthing off to Axl, how about the stage divers
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237

as a whole picture you maybe right. but from a Pearl jam-only persepective I have to say 93 > 92.
    93 is the shit! I'm being serious when I say this: 93 VMA is when I really became a fan of the band. I of course loved ten and the band before 93. But then to see them on the VMAs: You got Eddie cutting his hair, coming out with the army jacket and with intesity like a caged animal while they're playing animal! how about the part when he actually snarls like a wild animal in the middle of the song? sick. and then you have that killer Jam with Neil Young. finally to top it all off you have Mike + Ed destroying the instruments and Eddie sipping some wine.

= perfection.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    moses-i wrote:
    I too got hooked when i saw the 1993 awards. I personally think it was the best one. I am still kicking myself for taping over my copy. Anyone have a decent copy of the show in its entirety that they'd be willing to share?

Same boat man. I had it recorded on SLP VHS tape. Down the road I found the copy with note that it was the VMA '93, viewed the tape, it was gone! A WWF Pay Per View Event was taped right over it! :x

Haven't found a complete fan made vhs to dvd transfer of the whole event. Though there's clip's of Pearl Jam's winning & Animal / Rockin' In The Free World footage on a few dvd's & youtube.com.

I haven't been watching TV Wrestling in a long time now. Today though, that might change. I heard Bret 'The Hitman" Heart will be back on TV, on WWE! :shock:
  • broloco wrote:

as a whole picture you maybe right. but from a Pearl jam-only persepective I have to say 93 > 92.
    93 is the shit! I'm being serious when I say this: 93 VMA is when I really became a fan of the band. I of course loved ten and the band before 93. But then to see them on the VMAs: You got Eddie cutting his hair, coming out with the army jacket and with intesity like a caged animal while they're playing animal! how about the part when he actually snarls like a wild animal in the middle of the song? sick. and then you have that killer Jam with Neil Young. finally to top it all off you have Mike + Ed destroying the instruments and Eddie sipping some wine.

= perfection.

You mean Mike trying to destroy his guitar, but he couldn't even put a dent in the thing, that guitar destroyed him instead.... (he should of just threw it onto an amp, ala Even Flow video <--- that was cool)

VMA 93 was better in my opinion. RITFW = Classic moment in Rock
  • Here's a good quality video of the '93 Animal performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eTEx1Bjhb4
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    When Eddie said in Brisbane he often almost passes out and sometimes does during Jeremy, I thought of the VMA performance.

You could see him use every last bit of breath during it.
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Posts: 543
    smarchee wrote:
    that 1992 performance of Lithium was massive, how about the opening chords of Rape Me played and the backstory behind that, then Chris throwing the bass up and it hitting his head and knocking him out for a couple of seconds and then Dave mouthing off to Axl, how about the stage divers
    That's probably my favorite VMA moment. I'm no Nirvana fan, but that performance was awesome.

I'm sure everyone here has seen it, but if not, youtube it for sure.

"Hi Axl...hi Axl...hi..." :lol:
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    marcos wrote:
    Let's not forget Howard Stern's Fartman saggy ass pissing off Metallica.
    Haha. I almost forgot about Fartman! I was a huge Stern fan back then. Those were the days...

EDIT: Interesting comment on the Jeremy video, I had never heard this:

"Vedder said that last part "I don't need no mom and dad" lyrics from "Sonic Reducer" as protest because Pearl Jam were going to play a cover of "Sonic Reducer" until MTV told them they had to play "Jeremy""
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    Feiraco wrote:
    The good old days when Stone was a maniacal Scott Ian-esque presence on stage and Mike was subtle and reserved...how things have changed.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    Here's a good quality video of the '93 Animal performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eTEx1Bjhb4

That's indeed a quality video, thanks for that!
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i have the 93 show on VHS. i pinched it off my cousin...

i remember the first time we watched it i wanted to know who the weird old dude on stage with pearl jam was...
  • The boy of the video of Jeremy how will look now??..shit, how fast years pass.. :?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    I contend that that Eddie's Jeremy performance is one of if not the most intense dignified performances of any song anywhere, ever. I still get shivers when I watch it. That, along with unplugged hooked me for good.