If Ten and Vitalogy were flip-flopped.....

MASMAS Posts: 630
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Since I'm bored as fuck at work, Lets pretend Vitalogy was the band's first album, and not Ten. Lets say Ten was their third studio album behind VS...... How do you think this would have effected things...commercial success, popularity etc, if at all....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    People wouldn't call them a "grunge band" as much. I always hate when i tell people I like pearl jam and they say "oh,so you're a grunge guy!"

they probably wouldn't have been immediately popular either, or they would have risen to popularity with a different audience.
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    If the order was Vitalogy, Vs, Ten, then Vitalogy would be known as their Bleach/Ultramega OK/Gish - the obscure first record that only the 'hardcore' fan got first time around...

and there would be a hundred threads on here about how the band "sold out" after their second record! :lol:

It would have been a great first record though!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    First of all none of that filler would have been on there. They would have never had the thought to go so far off the beaten path for a 1st album.

No Bugs, No Stupid Mop, No Pry To, and No Aye Davanita.

They would have thrown a couple more kick ass songs on instead, and Betterman and Corduroy would be today's Alive and Even Flow.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Wilds wrote:
    First of all none of that filler would have been on there. They would have never had the thought to go so far off the beaten path for a 1st album.

They would have thrown a couple more kick ass songs on instead, and Betterman and Corduroy would be today's Alive and Even Flow.

Yeah, this is how I'd see it too.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • goldrush wrote:
    If the order was Vitalogy, Vs, Ten, then Vitalogy would be known as their Bleach/Ultramega OK/Gish - the obscure first record that only the 'hardcore' fan got first time around...

and there would be a hundred threads on here about how the band "sold out" after their second record! :lol:

It would have been a great first record though!

excellent analysis. agree 100%
  • My guess is that Vitalogy would have been over produced and sounded totally different accoding to the record company's wishes. As a previous poster said, the experimental songs would not have been there and some of the rockier b-sides or out takes from those sessions may have made it onto the album.

I doubt Vitalogy (or Vs for that matter) could have been made without Ten coming first and giving the band the experience and balls to kick against the pricks and develop their own sound anbd production style. Vs and Vitalogy showed a move away from the Ten sound and songwriting style as the band matured and found their groove.

But I guess last year we would have seen the rerelease of Vitalogy in its present mix/production.
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,635
    jimed14 wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

Yeah, this is how I'd see it too.

+ 1 more
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2