p90x

Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone have any experiences with p90x workout? I'm going to start Jan 1 just wondering if anyone has had good luck with it.

Matt
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I thought about it but wasn't going to spend the $$ when I wasn't sure how committed I'd be. I also saw the infomercial on TV and it has lots of workouts where you need weights and other gym equipment I don't have. I think it would work well if you eat right and dedicate all the time necessary. Keep posting you're results if you decide to do it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I've been wondering about it too. I have a friend who does it, but haven't talked to him lately about it. He says they are really tough workouts which are good I guess. He doesn't have any special gym equipment though. I didn't know that was required.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • I just want the commercials/infomercials to stop.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I just want the commercials/infomercials to stop.

I've never seen one. I didn't even know they advertised. I had only heard about it from my friend. But of course, I have never watched an infomercial in my life. The minute I see that a program is an infomercial I am gone.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Well it's always on on Fox Soccer Channel and other channels I check. Plus one of the hosts of a morning show I listen to on the way to work pimps it at the end of every segment.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • I bought it a couple of months ago. Haven't started yet. 2 of my ex-teammates went through it. Both were in their mid-30's. Both of them got RIPPED AS SHIT. After they sent me their before and after pics, I ordered it the next day. My motivation left my body somewhere between the time I submitted payment and the time the dvd's landed on my doorstep. I will also attempt to begin on Jan.1. If I like the results enough, I'll post pics on here mainly for female masturbatory purposes and as a warning to not fuck with me and my superior posting capabilities ;)

Good luck.

Love,

'Rance
  • You NEEEEEED determination if you want this to be successful. The workouts are very intense (this coming from someone who does an hour of fasted cardio and 2 hours of lifting every day) and some people just can't do it. If I were you I would start just the diet a week before you start the actual program!!! For some people the dieting part is easy, but for myself it definitely wasn't. If you do everything correctly and you actually put all your effort into it then yes this program will work very well.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,684
    you need to have somewhat of a fitness base to succeed and perform the moves.

you will need adjustable dumbbells or resistance bands.

you will need a chin up bar

optional shit includes a yoga mat and those push up grips.

Its tough. The diet seems weird to me too, I have never heard of anyone following it 100%. It also calls for expensive bars and supplements. If you do your own balanced diet taylored to what you want (low calories and fat for weight loss, etc) you will still see great results.

Anyways the p90x will kick your ass. I have done a few workouts in it. (You can find the DVDs and all materials on torrent). The ab workout will bring tears.

If you follow the program religeously, you will see results no doubt. It is proven, it is not a gimmick or fad.

For those who arent nearly fit enough to try.... I think there is a pre p90x routine they provide... although Tony does acknowledge that most people will have trouble with the 1st round or 2 and it is important to worry about pace.
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    P90X is pure torture. It kicked my ass every day for two months. That's all I could make, but in those two months the results I got were better than any other program that I've tried.

The results are real, but when you think about it, of course you're going to see incredible results. The workouts are very intense. My wife actually threw up a couple of times during them.

It's not a get ripped quick and easy program, but it is a get ripped through hard work program. Also I need to add that you need to stick with the diet as well. Some programs the diet is kinda optional, but with P90X it's essential.

Like Tony says (about a million times over the course of the DVD's) "go big or go home, it's all or none".
    You'll hate every minute of it but you'll love the results even more.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • do you have to be in decent shape to do it? i've put on a few over the last couple of months.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    MrSmith wrote:
    do you have to be in decent shape to do it? i've put on a few over the last couple of months.
    I would recommend working out 3 times a week for 2-3 weeks prior to starting the program. It can consist of riding a bike, jogging, push ups, and sit ups and it will help you avoid injury when starting the program. I did the program with a friend and he started cold turkey and ended up suffering a shoulder injury in week 3.

If you do start the program don't get frustrated in the first two weeks and quit. It will kick your ass but you will be amazed with how much stronger you will be by week 5 or 6.

Also, get rid of your junk food and start eating healthy.
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    what foods do they have you eating? i heard a guy call a sports talk radio show and this came into the conversation, and he basically said he needed his own refrigerator downstairs to store all his food away from his family's.

is it chicken breast, fish, and normal healthy foods.....or crazy stuff like tofu and veggie burgers?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Brony wrote:
    what foods do they have you eating? i heard a guy call a sports talk radio show and this came into the conversation, and he basically said he needed his own refrigerator downstairs to store all his food away from his family's.

is it chicken breast, fish, and normal healthy foods.....or crazy stuff like tofu and veggie burgers?
    The food program is pretty good. I have kept using it after finishing the program last year . . . except during football season when I've been eating every junk food and beer known to man. An average meal plan for me consisted of:

Breakfast – Cereal or Muscle Milk; Banana
    Snack – 3 egg whites; V8 (low sodium); Cashews
    Lunch – Salad & 8 ounce chicken breast
    Snack – Carrots; Protein bar; Recovery drink
    Dinner – Salmon or Pork Chop and Rice

There is a little more prep time for food (versus going to Wendy’s) but it is worth it. The P90X book has a ton of good recipes for sauces to add to your food for taste. Also, I never once ate any tofu or veggie burgers but I did significantly increase the amount of fresh vegetables intake. My biggest problem was cutting beer out of the equation.

The diet plan also changes each month. For the first month it’s a typical low carb / high protein diet to help burn fat but by month 3 it has a lot more carbs to help sustain energy.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I did it for over a month last year. Will be getting it on again shortly.

It HURTS!

I never did any of the diet routine, just the workouts. Sweat pouring off in buckets during the yoga session... Lady I work with scoffed that I would have to sweat doing yoga... OK lady, give it a shot if you think you know it all. She thinks she knows.... Not even a clue. It will work you over and you will feel better in the months that follow.

You dont really need the expensive equipment. Be creative. The power bands work fine. If you are completely broke, use varioius sized water bottles for your dumbells. You dont have a pull up bar? No big deal. Can you even do a pull up? Maybe a stiff broom handle between two chairs will do. Pulling yourself up that many times from the floor will work some of the areas but of course not all.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06