The band's earpeices....

MASMAS Posts: 630
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Anyone know what their purpose is? I don't think they used them at the beginning Ed especially...anybody shed some light on this..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    I think its just to keep timing. I think so anyway.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    the ear pieces offer each band member a specific in-ear feed of a certain aspect of the overall mix. it prob varies for each band member. Ed prob has his own vocal mix turned up a little more then the others, so he can hear himself sing over the crowd and rest of band. Jeff likely has the drums turned up more then the rest of the band because bass and drums are played together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • They work like the foldback monitors at the front of the stage so the band can hear what is going on with each other. The sound guys at the side of the stage will work on giving each individual their own mix according to what they want to hear. When I was playing bass I used to always have guitar and vocals in my foldback - the drummer was deafening me anyway.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    MAS wrote:
    Anyone know what their purpose is? I don't think they used them at the beginning Ed especially...anybody shed some light on this..

If memory serves me correctly, I believe that 2006 is when they first started using them...I want to say right around the Gorge, but it could have been a bit earlier. I am pretty sure it was when they started touring for ST though.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Wanna hear Eddie get mad at the guy who mixes the earpieces? Check after "Just Breathe" on LA 3.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    MAS wrote:
    WHAT?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The first time I noticed in-ear-monitors being used in shows in general were the early 90's with the Grateful Dead. I believe the Grateful Dead also took them a step further, and had a switch on the floor, and that would turn their microphone off for the audience, and make it so they could communicate with band members such as what song to go into while in a jam session. It makes for zero feedback, and I believe it makes an artist much more accurate as they can hear every nuance.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    I have a very hard time taking anyone seriously with an avatar like that. :lol:
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,905
    Ultimate Ears is the supplier:

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    The first time I noticed in-ear-monitors being used in shows in general were the early 90's with the Grateful Dead. I believe the Grateful Dead also took them a step further, and had a switch on the floor, and that would turn their microphone off for the audience, and make it so they could communicate with band members such as what song to go into while in a jam session. It makes for zero feedback, and I believe it makes an artist much more accurate as they can hear every nuance.

Plus it keeps overall volume down, and cleans up the stage setup. I know DMB has mics on their shirts to talk to eachother. I could be wrong though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CJMST3K wrote:

Plus it keeps overall volume down, and cleans up the stage setup. I know DMB has mics on their shirts to talk to eachother. I could be wrong though.

you're correct...they talk to each other all the time
  • They also work as ear plugs I assume. I'm pretty sure all of the members (except eddie maybe?) all suffer from serious hearing loss. ( I forget the term it is given) I remember reading about this in a blurb from Spin or Rolling Stone.
  • In-ears are also what allow other bands (not PJ so much) to leave the stage to do songs.