What are your "must have" guitar pedals?

GuitarEnthusiastGuitarEnthusiast Posts: 627
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am sure this has been asked before, but I am curious what your "must have" guitar effects pedals are?

Mine are...
-Keeley Compressor
-Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
-Boss RV5 Digital Reverb

I am in the market for a good distortion pedal as well as a delay.
1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A wah and a decent overdrive. Everything else is gravy (but I do love my Rotovibe and Chorus).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • my mxr carbon copy delay is a must.
    also my zvex box of rock gives my amp distortion a boost and i use the volume boost for my solos.
    i have others that are kind of icing on the cake but those are my workhorses and are the essentials for my tone..
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    TS9 Tubescreamer

Dunlop Crybaby

DUnlop Rotovibe!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Mine are my Excalibur ToneScreamer, which is essentially a TS 808 clone of course, and My Boss TU-2 tuner. A decent tuner can save you a LOT of nerves! There are a lot more, but these are my favourites.
  • I'd say Tubescreamer and A/B/Y for my amp's head. And I have to agree with ScrapeMySky, my Tuner is pretty key. Everything else is just for color/flavor. I could easily play most of the stuff I play with only overdrive (and even that isn't needed for every song). And, depending on my mood, I may not need the A/B/Y. So, the Tuner is first, the Tubescreamer is second, and the A/B/Y is third.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'd say Tubescreamer and A/B/Y for my amp's head. And I have to agree with ScrapeMySky, my Tuner is pretty key. Everything else is just for color/flavor. I could easily play most of the stuff I play with only overdrive (and even that isn't needed for every song). And, depending on my mood, I may not need the A/B/Y. So, the Tuner is first, the Tubescreamer is second, and the A/B/Y is third.

Yeah.. I have a decent board, but 90% of the time its just TS-9 (or BD-2 depending on what I'm playing), and tuner...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • yeah i forgot my boss tuner. THAT is the most essential pedal in my rig. i have a very heavy pick hand so i am tuning after every other song. my amp has a lot of headroom so the lighter i pick and strum the cleaner my tone, the harder i go the more it breaks up and some of our stuff is pretty hard so i get knocked out of tune easily.

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    All this 'Pedal' Talk is foreign to ME lol...ANYWAY do BASS Players like "ME" use Pedals? :)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    delay
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    All this 'Pedal' Talk is foreign to ME lol...ANYWAY do BASS Players like "ME" use Pedals? :)

Sure! When I play bass (which I do more often than I play guitar these days) I can't go without my tuner (again, of course) and my Big Muff /Bassballs combo.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    My DE1 Dan-Echo

just love it
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • My boss tuner.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    i_lov_it wrote:

Sure! When I play bass (which I do more often than I play guitar these days) I can't go without my tuner (again, of course) and my Big Muff /Bassballs combo.

Cool!...Never really thought about Buying a 'Pedal'...Might look INTO one...:)
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    i_lov_it wrote:

You should really do that. There's a lot of different pedals for bass out there. Especially distortion and fuzz pedals. You should look into that! It's fun! :)
  • I'm sure some of you on this board know me. You know my board. You laugh at me....

This was sent to me and I choose to share it now.

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/0309 ... l-play.gif
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I'm sure some of you on this board know me. You know my board. You laugh at me....

This was sent to me and I choose to share it now.

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/0309 ... l-play.gif

:D

I've been wondering for a while now. How many pedals do you have anyway?
  • Maxon OD9 for boosting my drive channel , MXR carbon Copy, and colorsound swell pedal

oh and Mike...i'm stealing that picture for facebook! ;)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • On my practice board, at home: 4. Ibanez AD9 Analog delay (trying to sell), BOSS DS1 Distortion (modded), BOSS DS1 Distortion (stock), Fender Blender (also an amp switch)

When I go to practice, I usually have a BOSS TU2 Tuner, Soul Vibe, Crybaby, Tube Screamer, and delay.

On my full board for shows and all that I have.... let's see here.... Ibanez FL9 Flanger, Digitech X-Series Digital Delay, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, DOD FX64 Ice Box Chorus, Ernie Ball VPjr Volume, Marshall Guv'nor GV2 Overdrive, Ibanez TS5 Tube Screamer (moded switch), Pre 1989 Crybaby Wah, Dunlop JD4s Rotovibe (moded), BBE Soul Vibe, and a BOSS TU2 Tuner. So I guess that's about 12. Thing is, I only use some of those pedals on one song but, in a live setting, ya never know if you'll play it. And, I've slimmed down my board because it used to be those 12, plus the 4 pedals I have in my home set up, plus a Denelectro Milkshake Chorus, BOSS OC2 Octave, BOSS TR2 Tremolo, BOSS BD2 Blues Driver, BOSS SD1 super overdrive (moded), BOSS DD6 Delay, and a Behringer Acoustic Modeler (sucked ass). Oh, and I have the footswitch on my board.

I guess the must have pedal I need is a tuner. I think that's the most important pedal. Other than that, I just like to tap on stomp boxes and see what happens. Sometimes nothing, if the pedal is broken.
  • Maxon OD9 for boosting my drive channel , MXR carbon Copy, and colorsound swell pedal

oh and Mike...i'm stealing that picture for facebook! ;)
    PJ_Gurl sent that to me a while ago. I've saved it ever since
  • There are some great pedals in that selection. But I can relate to the situation. Once you get into pedals, things tend to get out of hand pretty quickly. I would be great if I had the funds for some more. My bandmates wouldn't necessarily agree, of course... :D
  • I should start a thread asking which one of my pedals do people prefer, and out of my pedals, make your own pedal chain...I think I might!!
  • DTR-1000.jpg

kl-ds1u.jpg

jd-4s.gif

2443.jpg

DOD_680AnalogDelay_l.jpg

That is all I have between me and my amp, period.....
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =512465746

This is my board. A little much, I think I might get a Fulldrive to replace the TS-9 and BD-2.
  • http://thejoustingdinosaurs.com/gear_mikey.htm#mkygtr

there's my most recent pic of my board but the Flender is off it and I'm taking even more off.
  • my mxr carbon copy delay is a must.

The MXR Carbon Copy delay is on my pedal wishlist.
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    i_lov_it wrote:

hey
    check out ZVEX wolly mammoth! a fuzzpedal specialy designed for bass, I have one. Really nasty stuff. :shock: although it's not an overall pedal, it's great for solos, FX etc.
    PJ - Roskilde Festival - June 30th 2000
    PJ - Heineken Jammin' Festival - July 6 2010
    PJ - Oslo, Norway - July 9 2012
    SG - Oslo, Norway - October 17 1996
  • thecountthecount Posts: 5
    I guess mine would be my Keeley compressor, Brown Sound in a Box, and my boss RV-3. I couln't imagine my sound without them.
    "What a geographical anamoly, two weeks from everything"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive
    Akai Head-Rush digital delay/looper
    Ernie Ball Volume
    Electroharmonix Holy Grail Reverb
    Pigtronix Attack/Sustain
    Keeley Java Boost
    MoogerFooger Low Pass Filter
    Boss DD-5 Digital Delay
    Hot Hand (Wireless) Phaser

I use others in my loop, but those are my core pedals.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • i want to get 4 more pedals but i am not sure what to get next...

1. morpheus drop tune...allows you to keep your guitar in standard tuning and drop down by half steps all the way down to one octave. it also has an effect on it that nails that jack white icky thump sound...imo it is worth $199 to keep from dragging 2 extra guitars to a gig..

2. vintage holy grail reverb, not the little one thats out now....

3. i saw a pharroh jubilee pedal the other day, its basically a silver jubilee in a pedal, sounds pretty nice...

4. poly tune tuner....allows you strum all strings and it tells you which string is out so you dont have to go through all of them individually...

there are more i want but its so hard to prioritize these 4 lol... probably the drop tune and reverb are the next two...

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    i want to get 4 more pedals but i am not sure what to get next...

1. morpheus drop tune...allows you to keep your guitar in standard tuning and drop down by half steps all the way down to one octave. it also has an effect on it that nails that jack white icky thump sound...imo it is worth $199 to keep from dragging 2 extra guitars to a gig..

2. vintage holy grail reverb, not the little one thats out now....

3. i saw a pharroh jubilee pedal the other day, its basically a silver jubilee in a pedal, sounds pretty nice...

4. poly tune tuner....allows you strum all strings and it tells you which string is out so you dont have to go through all of them individually...

there are more i want but its so hard to prioritize these 4 lol... probably the drop tune and reverb are the next two...

The drop tune and poly tune seem cool.

I think there is somethin about the feel of the strings and the way your guitar vibrates, that you get from actually tuning down.

Wish the poly tune could do alternate tunings.