"Waiting For My Man" and "Gonna See My Friend"

edited December 2009 in The Porch
I was just listening to the Velevet Underground, Waiting for the man. Then it occured to me how similar Gonna See My Friend is to it. I know they have totally different feels to them, but the guitar is very similar, GSMF is just faster and harder. And Waiting for the Man, Gonna See My Friend, very similar titles with similar drug dealer implications. I wonder if this was any inspiration for Ed? anyone else ever notice this?
Hartford '06 Camden '06 East Rutherford '06
Madrid '07 Munich '07 London '07
Camden '08 MSG I '08 MSG II '08 Hartford '08 Mansfield '08
Philly II '09 Philly III '09 Philly IV '09
Hartford '10 MSG I '10 MSG II '10
Made in America Fest Philly '12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    Interesting insight. And both great songs...
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    mdgsolo wrote:
    +1. Never appreciated the Velvet Underground until I saw Lou with Metallica at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show... very cool guy, very cool attitude, very cool band.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Lou Reed is a genius.
    Its rock and roll and its been around for over half a century, there are gonna be similarities between the hundreds of thousands of songs that have been written. There is only so much that can be done with a guitar, bass, drums and vocals.
  • mdgsolo wrote:

Yea, I've been getting into velvet underground lately, great song
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    joebot wrote:
    Lou Reed is a genius.
    Its rock and roll and its been around for over half a century, there are gonna be similarities between the hundreds of thousands of songs that have been written. There is only so much that can be done with a guitar, bass, drums and vocals.

True. But remember last year when Metallica's Death Magnetic came out and lots of people on here were crying that about 15 seconds of The End of The Line (which is an 8 minute song) sounded a little like Why Go? There were threads started saying Boycott Metallica and Rip-Offica and all that shit. It seems like if a PJ song sounds like another song(which a few do) it is OK. But if another artist's song sounds like a PJ song it is blasphemy and should be criticized for plaigerism(sp?). Kind of a double standard if you ask me.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • joebot wrote:
    Lou Reed is a genius.

True. But remember last year when Metallica's Death Magnetic came out and lots of people on here were crying that about 15 seconds of The End of The Line (which is an 8 minute song) sounded a little like Why Go? There were threads started saying Boycott Metallica and Rip-Offica and all that shit. It seems like if a PJ song sounds like another song(which a few do) it is OK. But if another artist's song sounds like a PJ song it is blasphemy and should be criticized for plaigerism(sp?). Kind of a double standard if you ask me.

I know what u mean, its really not a big deal even tho they did sound similar. Having said that, metallica is awful
  • Every poet is a thief
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    joebot wrote:
    Lou Reed is a genius.

I know what u mean, its really not a big deal even tho they did sound similar. Having said that, metallica is awful
    Beg to differ... I actually kinda like Metallica.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Gonna See My Friend reminds me of The Real Me.. not sure why, but it does.
  • It's the bassline. I hear it, too.
    Chicago 8-23-09