Thank you Eddie, Thank you Pearl Jam

memememe Posts: 4,695
edited December 2009 in The Porch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG443N7lo4Q

This song, played non-stop in the wake of the 2004 elections, saved my sanity and helped to get my anger out back then.

"things were different then, all is different now" right? Now we have a Nobel peace prize winning President, right?

Just got news that a 20 year old kid I knew killed himself on thanksgiving day on the base. He had come back in October from a year in Iraq. He leaves a wife and a loving family.

They keep dying, the anger is still there and the song is once again playing non-stop. When I look at Ed singing the last few words, I know I am not angry alone. Thank you.
... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Our world let this boy down- I am sorry for all who love him.
    That is the hardest thing the young face - still believing- then realizing there is nothing to believe in here on this earth.
    The evilest of evil can make the decisions to kill our young and are. This they do for greed and power. It crosses all party lines- hell there are no lines anymore.
    I pray for enlightenment for these people in power that they will FEEL in their hearts instead of just think and plot. That they will realize this is not some chess game with human pawns but that they are wasting lives and killing love and as Eddie says this is "the highest sin". I'm praying for REAL change.
  • oh meme.... :x :(
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    fucking war !

fucking politics !

fucking mankind ! :evil:

ugh.

I'm sorry meme.
    I really am.

-steve
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Sorry for your friend but whether your at war or at peace, if you kill yourself and leave family behind you were worthless and selfish in the first place. No EXCUSES for killing yourself period. I do feel sorry for his loved ones though. God bless them.
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Sorry for your friend but whether your at war or at peace, if you kill yourself and leave family behind you were worthless and selfish in the first place. No EXCUSES for killing yourself period. I do feel sorry for his loved ones though. God bless them.

why even post this?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

You have no clue what these kids go through. I can not believe how insensitive your statement was. How can you judge and make a statement like that when you never walked in those shoes?

I have a step son who was 18 when he was in the "gulf war". It ruined his entire life. He was in a tank brigade that surrounded a goup of people and shot and killed all of them. He had a bright future and has been sick and in and out of rehab since then, and is basically a shell of a human, not feeling and just going through the motions to get by.

I do not support any war, nor can I support troops that are over there killing people. We need to support them by having them here, in the US.

So sorry for your loss Meme...maybe he was just looking for peace.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    edited December 2009
    Sorry for your friend but whether your at war or at peace, if you kill yourself and leave family behind you were worthless and selfish in the first place. No EXCUSES for killing yourself period. I do feel sorry for his loved ones though. God bless them.

wow ! Clinical Depression in my eyes is a perfect excuse. you just don't see the light when you are that depressed.

I know, I'm bi-polar, if not for a great support group ( family and friends ) I can say without a doubt, I would not be here today.

you just won "dick of the day" award.
    Post edited by the wolf on
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Sorry for your friend but whether your at war or at peace, if you kill yourself and leave family behind you were worthless and selfish in the first place. No EXCUSES for killing yourself period. I do feel sorry for his loved ones though. God bless them.

wow. it must get pretty lonely on your perch. have a little class.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

as a person who once tried to kill himself, when you are in that state you really think that you are helping your family and think that maybe your family will be happy without you there. Sorry to hear meme
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620

my god, not cool.
    meme, apologies for the loss of your friend, but a excellent thread.
    the music helping us through tough times is what its all about, PEACE
  • the wolf wrote:

+1 :roll: :roll: :roll:
    11/30/93 7/11/98 10/22/00 4/28/03 6/6/03 9/30/05 7/6/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 10/9/09 10/27/09 10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/4/10 5/17/10 5/18/10 6/22/10 6/23/10 6/25/10 10/23/10 10/24/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/21/11 9/23/11 9/25/11 6/20/12 6/21/12 9/30/12 7/19/13 10/21/13 10/22/13 10/30/13 11/19/13 11/21/13 11/29/13 11/30/13 12/2/13 12/4/13 12/6/13 6/16/14 6/17/14 6/22/14 6/25/14 6/26/14
    EV Solo: SAN 08 EWR 08 STL 11 LAS 12
    Who Rock Honors 08
    Bridge School 10 14
    FTM 12
    Holier than thou....how?
    Surrendered...Executed any how........
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    fife wrote:

as a person who once tried to kill himself, when you are in that state you really think that you are helping your family and think that maybe your family will be happy without you there. Sorry to hear meme

This is very true.

Thanks for all the comments. I just wanted to remind everyone that this war is still destroying the lives of individual people, everyday. Americans and, of course, Iraqis. And for many, it will eat them alive for years to come, as one of the posters above mentioned. I also wanted to tell any angry ones out there, because they lost a loved one, that many share their anger and they are not alone. Here is a touching article on Greg:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/conten ... t=&sid=104
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • I used to think suicide was selfish but then I grew up and saw / experienced how painful life on this planet is.

It takes guts to stick it out thru some of the hard times. and some people can’t for whatever reason.

It is what it is.

I think suicide is too taboo a subject in society.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

I also think suicide can be a selfish act but not in the case of this young man.What they ask these young people to do is horrific. Our world is so disillusioning for the young. He just couldn't stay here.
    I too came close to leaving this world and with 2 small children depending on me that would have been horribly selfish. At that point I was so absorbed in my own pain I could not see what it would do to others. I am very happy today I decided to live for them. If we could all feel each others pain what a different world it would be.
  • Dann2000Dann2000 Posts: 162
    I used to think suicide was selfish but then I grew up and saw / experienced how painful life on this planet is.

It takes guts to stick it out thru some of the hard times. and some people can’t for whatever reason.

It is what it is.

Depression isn't seen as an illness its seen as a person failing to be normal. Depression leads to suicide for some people. Seeing friends sent home in bags or missing a limb(s) if they are lucky. Then coming home and trying to adjust to normality. In the UK we seem more concerned by a Simon Cowell talent contest than an 18 yr old child being killed in combat.
  • Dann2000 wrote:
    In the UK we seem more concerned by a Simon Cowell talent contest than an 18 yr old child being killed in combat.

It's the way over here
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Dann2000Dann2000 Posts: 162
    Dann2000 wrote:
    In the UK we seem more concerned by a Simon Cowell talent contest than an 18 yr old child being killed in combat.

It's the way over here

Its twisted. I know life cannot stop while we're at war but deaths in Iraq reduced to 2nd or 3rd story on the news. I'm glad you seem to have found a good man for president but it could take years to put right.
  • Dann2000 wrote:

Depression isn't seen as an illness its seen as a person failing to be normal. Depression leads to suicide for some people.

exactlly.
    depression is a part of life. but it seems if you admit to it, you’re suddenly a freak or not a man etc. there is a huge stigma on it.

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    the wolf wrote:

wow ! Clinical Depression in my eyes is a perfect excuse. you just don't see the light when you are that depressed.

I know, I'm bi-polar, if not for a great support group ( family and friends ) I can say without a doubt, I would not be here today.

+1

I won't say too much, but like many - Pearl Jam has saved my husband's sanity and therapy, more than once - especially when he was younger in his 20's.

He lived on the streets for a period of time and a man saved him from starving to death on the streets.

It is so easy to judge and say you are doing this for selfish reasons, not matter what the situation or circumstance was.

Ah, screw this guy. He said his piece and we don't agree with him... ignore him but if he keeps up with it, we can just alert the mod to stop him before he upsets more people.

The rest of us do sympathize, even if we do not fully understand.

I'm also very sorry, Meme. :(

((hugs))
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pandora wrote:
    I also think suicide can be a selfish act but not in the case of this young man.What they ask these young people to do is horrific. Our world is so disillusioning for the young. He just couldn't stay here.
    I too came close to leaving this world and with 2 small children depending on me that would have been horribly selfish. At that point I was so absorbed in my own pain I could not see what it would do to others. I am very happy today I decided to live for them. If we could all feel each others pain what a different world it would be.
    +1 minus the 2 kids part
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    So sorry for your loss Meme.
  • Didnt mean to offend anyone by expressing my opinion, should of left out the word worthless and stuck with selfish only. Kind of Ironic I am posting on here right now because one of my good friends blew his head off w/ a shot gun because he got a 2nd DUI on his record. He leaves behind a little girl and many family and friends. Whether he was bi polar or in great depression I still feel it is a selfish act, no excuses. Patch Adams the famous Dr. that robin williams just came to my town and is quoted as saying " their is no such thing as mental illness."
    Weird how this all came together. Sorry again if I upset anyone with my last post, I just dont believe in taking any life, whether my own or someone elses!!! Peace!
    Didnt mean to offend anyone by expressing my opinion, should of left out the word worthless and stuck with selfish only. Kind of Ironic I am posting on here right now because one of my good friends blew his head off w/ a shot gun because he got a 2nd DUI on his record. He leaves behind a little girl and many family and friends. Whether he was bi polar or in great depression I still feel it is a selfish act, no excuses. Patch Adams the famous Dr. that robin williams just came to my town and is quoted as saying " their is no such thing as mental illness."
    Weird how this all came together. Sorry again if I upset anyone with my last post, I just dont believe in taking any life, whether my own or someone elses!!! Peace!
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend- for the people left behind there is so much anger and loss of faith.I understand how you felt when you posted. I too think that no one should ever take their own life and when they get to the other side probably feel the same, with the wisdom of clear sight we have there. A very close coworker of mine took his life recently due to a chronic pain syndrome. I think we can try to understand where these people are when they must leave and thats is all we can do. We wish we could have done something to help them to stay with us to make their lives right but understanding after the fact is all we have now.
  • Ed had words for that, too, at least how I interpret them...

"dream the dream of other men...you will be no one's rival
    dream the dream of others, then...you will be no one's rival"

it can work both ways...feel how others feel, we just might all get along; no more war

sorry for your loss, meme, and that of his family...
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • I'm just glad everyone here on the board participates w/ discussions even if we all don't agree w/ each other at times. Everyone made good points on this subject, some made mean spirited comments, others made understanding comments and others made neutral comments. All these comments have made me more understanding of the situation, even though I made some black and white comments. Please talk to someone if anyone has these thoughts of taking a life, whether someone elses or yourself. The good about yourself out weighs the the bad I'm sure. Peace & Love to all!!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
    3LG
  • My two bits on chronic pain syndrome:

When I was 20 I had a spinal headache. I won’t get into the details of it.
    I’ll just say knowing in about a week it would end was the only thing that kept me going. It was the worst physical pain I’ve ever experienced. It gave me a little insight on what chronic pain suffers must go thru. The thing is they no know end.
    After that week I understood why chronic pain suffers may think of ending it for themselves.

My two bits on chronic pain syndrome:

When I was 20 I had a spinal headache. I won’t get into the details of it.
    I’ll just say knowing in about a week it would end was the only thing that kept me going. It was the worst physical pain I’ve ever experienced. It gave me a little insight on what chronic pain suffers must go thru. The thing is they no know end.
    After that week I understood why chronic pain suffers may think of ending it for themselves.
    Yes he went thru so much for a few years with no relief. He was crazy with the pain then defeated. No one blames him for leaving we just miss him so. His death effected/ touched my children who had worked with him also. They as you have learned compassion from suffering.
    Our lives are all meshed together, intertwined, when we question why things happens this is why.