Turning 40...need your assistance!

go2theshowgo2theshow Posts: 82
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Reaching out to the world here. I'm having several drink drink options at my 40th birthday next week and one will be red wine in honor in of my favorite band...you know them well. 8-) Two questions:

1. What variety of Red?
2. What should I name it?

Thanks for your help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    in my opinion, Pinot Noir is the choice of red. The rest is up to you. Congrats.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • in my opinion, Pinot Noir is the choice of red. The rest is up to you. Congrats.

agreed. congrats!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Merlot is good.
  • Maybe you should start a pinot v's merlot v's shiraz thread?

;)
  • Maybe you should start a pinot v's merlot v's shiraz thread?

;)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Gotta go with a cabernet sauvignon.

Merlot is ok, and shiraz always tastes too watered down to me.
  • But what soul I call it? The EV...the ten club...the PJ...the encore...the big smooth...the space needle...the supersonic...
  • I like cab too, but if you went with merlot, you could call it Crazy Merrie :D
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    in my opinion, Pinot Noir is the choice of red. The rest is up to you. Congrats.

I find Pinot Noir the easiest to drink. Try and drink water in between, that way you won't get a massive hangover. Works for me anyway, PN is my favourite red then Shiraz.
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    red is always cab merlot in my world. 1 bottle looks after me nicely. any more and i act a bit 'special' as mentioned in another thread ;):lol:
    impatience is a gift ........
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    Forget it all!!! Just drink beeeeeeeer!!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • go2theshow wrote:
    But what soul I call it? The EV...the ten club...the PJ...the encore...the big smooth...the space needle...the supersonic...

Call it "2nd Encore"...or "1-2-3-4-40 years Old"...or "Elderly Man throwing a party in a Small Town" ;)
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    go2theshow wrote:
    But what soul I call it? The EV...the ten club...the PJ...the encore...the big smooth...the space needle...the supersonic...

Usually, bottles already come with a label and name ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    The Champ wrote:
    go2theshow wrote:

Usually, bottles already come with a label and name ;) ..
    The boxes too. :mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Congrats on the big 40th b-day mate!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Chrisilein wrote:

:lol: *your avatar also cracks me up*

Try to get a Barolo ... Eddie is requesting this italian wine most of the time. Pretty expensive though.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    IGotShit76 wrote:
    Chrisilein wrote:

Try to get a Barolo ... Eddie is requesting this italian wine most of the time. Pretty expensive though.

Just found this article via google

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature ... tered_3071

The scoop on what Eddie Vedder drinks, how to get from your porch to Australia and the launch of a new naked lady label
    Posted: May 17, 2006

• Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam likes wine. Secret wine. In a recent interview in Rolling Stone magazine, Vedder was asked about the wine he drinks on stage. He only admitted it was red. But we found out that it was actually Siduri Van der Kamp Pinot Noir. The wine is sent to Vedder without labels. We guess that means he's not that into details like alcohol content and government warnings. Yeah, us neither.

• We may not speak English the same way, play the same sports or dress the same for a day at the beach, but Americans and Australians have at least one thing in common. We both enjoy sitting out on the porch, having a drink and enjoying the summer. So Australian winery McWilliam's Hanwood Estateis holding a contest called "America's Finest Porch," for which you're invited to submit a photo of your porch and a 150-word essay on why it's the finest in America. The winner gets a trip to Sydney, all expenses paid, that includes a tour of the family vineyards and the opportunity to hang out with winemaker Scott McWilliam on his family porch. Here's a handy tip from us: If you live in one of those states where appliances on the porch are a common sight, be sure to remove yours before snapping a picture--unless it happens to be a state-of-the-art wine-storage unit.

• Bug awareness doesn't sound like fun, but we're fans of the Napa County agricultural commissioner's clever campaign to promote May as Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter Awareness Month. That's right, that scary bug that can wreak havoc on vineyards and other vegetation gets its own month. The Not In My Back Yard public awareness effort is dressed up in fun posters, such as this one, to make viewers smile while still giving the insect center stage. The theory is that if we get used to the bug's ugly mug, we'll be certain to report it to the ag commissioner's office if we see one.

• With spring fever in the air, achy breaky hearts are looking for a little TLC. And what comforts more than food? Heart-healthy food. At the Chefs With Heart event, hosted by the American Heart Association at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York on May 9, well-known local chefs such as Thomas Keller of Per Se, Dan Barber of Blue Hill at Stone Barns and Nils Noren of Aquavit joined together to prepare innovative dishes that pumped up the palate without loading down the heart. While cream, butter and eggs were conspicuously missing, fine wine was not. Red Bordeaux-style blends such as Dominus Estate Napanook Vineyard Napa Valley 1996 (92 points) and Gemstone Yountville 2002 (96) were poured for guests concerned with body--their own and that of the wine. Most chefs veered toward whites when suggesting pairings for their dishes, but Roberto Santibanez, who owns the Rosa Mexicano restaurants, dared to pair his fresh guacamole with Zinfandel. "I prefer a crisp, almost sweet sparkling wine," he admitted. "But my customers have said [Zin] is very good." And with the added benefits of flavanoids and antioxidants, why wouldn't it be?

• California's Hahn Estates, the wine company that made a huge success out of the launch of HRM Rex Goliath before selling it for millions, is now moving Cycles Gladiator, its new line of five value-priced Central Coast varietals, into national distribution. The label and brand name come from a Belle Epoque poster promoting a Parisian company's popular Velocipede during the cycling craze. Hahn president Bill Leigon says they chose the image because it "speaks to the burst of energy at the end of the l9th century, with its new freedom for women." (That would be the end of the century when women still couldn't vote, were expected to wear corsets and were encouraged to stay home and keep the house.) So of course Hahn is putting a naked woman on the bottle to sell the wine. You've come a long way, baby.
  • Johnny Walker "Red"...then exchange for "Black" (for the song?!?) You are man now, drink like one...congratulations, life starts @ 40, I am 48 and going to see "Further" fka Grateful Dead tonight and will toast a "Black" in your honor!
    High and Inside, Low and Away
  • RGarabed21 wrote:
    go2theshow wrote:

Call it "2nd Encore"...or "1-2-3-4-40 years Old"...or "Elderly Man throwing a party in a Small Town" ;)
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    MikeLove wrote:
    Johnny Walker "Red"...then exchange for "Black" (for the song?!?) You are man now, drink like one...congratulations, life starts @ 40, I am 48 and going to see "Further" fka Grateful Dead tonight and will toast a "Black" in your honor!

also be at the Furthur show tonight...can't wait
  • boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
    Chianti is always a good choice.
  • Chrisilein wrote:

Don't worry...beer is on the menu!
  • RGarabed21 wrote:
    go2theshow wrote:

That last one is fuc*ing hilarious. ..keep em' coming!
  • go2theshow wrote:
    Reaching out to the world here. I'm having several drink drink options at my 40th birthday next week and one will be red wine in honor in of my favorite band...you know them well. 8-) Two questions:

1. What variety of Red?

Thanks for your help!

Well...tomorrow is the big day. Barolo is the selection! Anyone else have an idea for what I should name it on the drink menu (besides its actual name ;) ). Thanks!
  • go2theshow wrote:
    go2theshow wrote:

1. What variety of Red?

Thanks for your help!

Well...tomorrow is the big day. Barolo is the selection! Anyone else have an idea for what I should name it on the drink menu (besides its actual name ;) ). Thanks!

How about "Yellow Tail-Shiraz Ledbetter"...or "Have you Tasted a Life Wasted?"
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • Merlot is good.

I couldn't agree less.

Shiraz or Tempranillo
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    Merlot is good.

I couldn't agree less.

Shiraz or Tempranillo

Don Julio or Patron ....
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    IGotShit76 wrote:
    Chrisilein wrote:

Just found this article via google

The scoop on what Eddie Vedder drinks, how to get from your porch to Australia and the launch of a new naked lady label
    Posted: May 17, 2006

• Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam likes wine. Secret wine. In a recent interview in Rolling Stone magazine, Vedder was asked about the wine he drinks on stage. He only admitted it was red. But we found out that it was actually Siduri Van der Kamp Pinot Noir. The wine is sent to Vedder without labels. We guess that means he's not that into details like alcohol content and government warnings. Yeah, us neither.

• We may not speak English the same way, play the same sports or dress the same for a day at the beach, but Americans and Australians have at least one thing in common. We both enjoy sitting out on the porch, having a drink and enjoying the summer. So Australian winery McWilliam's Hanwood Estateis holding a contest called "America's Finest Porch," for which you're invited to submit a photo of your porch and a 150-word essay on why it's the finest in America. The winner gets a trip to Sydney, all expenses paid, that includes a tour of the family vineyards and the opportunity to hang out with winemaker Scott McWilliam on his family porch. Here's a handy tip from us: If you live in one of those states where appliances on the porch are a common sight, be sure to remove yours before snapping a picture--unless it happens to be a state-of-the-art wine-storage unit.

• Bug awareness doesn't sound like fun, but we're fans of the Napa County agricultural commissioner's clever campaign to promote May as Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter Awareness Month. That's right, that scary bug that can wreak havoc on vineyards and other vegetation gets its own month. The Not In My Back Yard public awareness effort is dressed up in fun posters, such as this one, to make viewers smile while still giving the insect center stage. The theory is that if we get used to the bug's ugly mug, we'll be certain to report it to the ag commissioner's office if we see one.

• With spring fever in the air, achy breaky hearts are looking for a little TLC. And what comforts more than food? Heart-healthy food. At the Chefs With Heart event, hosted by the American Heart Association at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York on May 9, well-known local chefs such as Thomas Keller of Per Se, Dan Barber of Blue Hill at Stone Barns and Nils Noren of Aquavit joined together to prepare innovative dishes that pumped up the palate without loading down the heart. While cream, butter and eggs were conspicuously missing, fine wine was not. Red Bordeaux-style blends such as Dominus Estate Napanook Vineyard Napa Valley 1996 (92 points) and Gemstone Yountville 2002 (96) were poured for guests concerned with body--their own and that of the wine. Most chefs veered toward whites when suggesting pairings for their dishes, but Roberto Santibanez, who owns the Rosa Mexicano restaurants, dared to pair his fresh guacamole with Zinfandel. "I prefer a crisp, almost sweet sparkling wine," he admitted. "But my customers have said [Zin] is very good." And with the added benefits of flavanoids and antioxidants, why wouldn't it be?

• California's Hahn Estates, the wine company that made a huge success out of the launch of HRM Rex Goliath before selling it for millions, is now moving Cycles Gladiator, its new line of five value-priced Central Coast varietals, into national distribution. The label and brand name come from a Belle Epoque poster promoting a Parisian company's popular Velocipede during the cycling craze. Hahn president Bill Leigon says they chose the image because it "speaks to the burst of energy at the end of the l9th century, with its new freedom for women." (That would be the end of the century when women still couldn't vote, were expected to wear corsets and were encouraged to stay home and keep the house.) So of course Hahn is putting a naked woman on the bottle to sell the wine. You've come a long way, baby.

ahh... beat me to it...
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10