funny Simmons blurb: re: Springsteen/PJ

jets521jets521 Posts: 804
edited December 2009 in The Porch
was wandering around the Sports Guy archives and came across an article from a few yrs ago of his top 20 youtube vids

15. Pearl Jam & Bruce Springsteen "Better Man"
Forget about the surreal experience of seeing Eddie Vedder and Bruce Springsteen sing together. Let's be honest: The Boss MANGLES the song. He kills it. It's like a bad karaoke performance. The only way it could have been worse is if he stopped the song midway through and told one of those interminably long Bruce stories about "when I was growing up, my dad always thought he was a better man than me ..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QEiqh6rv2Ko

i got a chuckle...but declined to watch the video hahah
Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    love the sports guy... I remember reading the original column. He's a huge pearl jam fan. He reviewed the Los Angeles show a few years ago and said that Tim Robbins ruined his concert experience. (not word for word)...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Despite Bruce screwing it up, I still think it's pretty damn awesome!

Darkness and No Surrender were f'n incredible and during all three songs the crowd was nuts!
  • Just know that, according to BS, Pearl Jam "mailed it in" for Binaural. Probably a quote that wouldn't go over too well in these parts.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Thats funny. I remember Simmons talking about Phil Jackson and said he seems like the kind of guy who if he was your uncle he would be the cool uncle that always did cool shit with you like take you to Pearl Jam concerts. I have liked Phil a little more ever since.

Yeah Bruce has such a unique style, maybe thats why it does not sound good when he jams with other artists imo. Have you guys seen him on the new HBO Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert? I forget who he jammed with but it does not sound that great.
    Good evening...
    simmers33 wrote:
    Thats funny. I remember Simmons talking about Phil Jackson and said he seems like the kind of guy who if he was your uncle he would be the cool uncle that always did cool shit with you like take you to Pearl Jam concerts. I have liked Phil a little more ever since.

Yeah Bruce has such a unique style, maybe thats why it does not sound good when he jams with other artists imo. Have you guys seen him on the new HBO Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert? I forget who he jammed with but it does not sound that great.

Jammed with Billy Joel
  • Just know that, according to BS, Pearl Jam "mailed it in" for Binaural. Probably a quote that wouldn't go over too well in these parts.

When did Bruce say that?
    Just know that, according to BS, Pearl Jam "mailed it in" for Binaural. Probably a quote that wouldn't go over too well in these parts.

When did Bruce say that?

Bill Simmons not Bruce.

When did Bruce say that?

Bill Simmons not Bruce.

That makes more sense.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    This video has been removed by the user.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • simmers33 wrote:
    Thats funny. I remember Simmons talking about Phil Jackson and said he seems like the kind of guy who if he was your uncle he would be the cool uncle that always did cool shit with you like take you to Pearl Jam concerts. I have liked Phil a little more ever since.

I think you are referring to I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For with U2. I agree, it wasn't one of Bruce's finest momensts. In all fairness, I think most artists would have a tough time pulling it off.

FWIW, I think he did a good job with Betterman. I was blown away when Eddie came on stage that night.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    edited December 2009
    i was there, 10 - 13- 2004 out in the swamps of Jersey .

Just the fact that Bruce threw this show and had Ed appear,

he gets a pass.

Yeah he butchered Better Man ,....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXL4b44N ... re=related
    but lets not forget where in the set this happened.

Ed came out previous to that and absolutely nailed it on
    swapping leads with Bruce on Darkness On The Edge Of Town and No Surrender .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-rhHSw4x6E
    And regardless of the Bruce butchering, hearing Better Man with full solos from both Clarence on the Horn and The Professor Roy Bittan on piano for Better Man was awesome .

And Bruce has liked Pearl Jam ever since he heard Ten .
    He wrote one of the excerpts in 5 x 1 , if you havent seen it .
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Sorry about the amiguity. I think this is clear already, but Bill Simmons, NOT Bruce Springsteen, said that Pearl Jam mailed it in for Binaural. I didn't consider that they both had the initials BS. I'm sure The Boss enjoyed Binaural just as we all did! The Sports Guy is funny and entertaining, but sometimes a little bit inaccurate.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,438
    Sure, Bruce's vocals were pretty nasty but focusing on that is to miss the whole point. It was Bruce Springsteen, The Boss....inviting Eddie f'n Vedder onstage during his show and singing Springsteen songs and a PJ song.

It was one of those amazing moments, I would've killed to be there that night. You rarely hear a Springsteen crowd cheer for someone who isn't him or a member of the E Street Band, but the crowd exploded with 'Eddie' chants when he came onstage and between songs.

Not to mention, Ed absolutely nailed Darkness and No Surrender.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • simmers33 wrote:

I think you are referring to I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For with U2. I agree, it wasn't one of Bruce's finest momensts. In all fairness, I think most artists would have a tough time pulling it off.

FWIW, I think he did a good job with Betterman. I was blown away when Eddie came on stage that night.

Oh yeah - it was with U2. You're right, a tough song. What people think of Bono, you have to admit he has some impressive vocal chords.
    Good evening...