20th Anniversary Plan - Need Your Help!

Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Hi all,

I am thinking of trying to compile a book/mag for the bands 20th anniversary next year. I have no experience in this field but want to do something to mark the date. I need your help with this. My idea is to give a few people a year to write about their and the bands experience from that year, high/low points, live experience, photos. I was also thinking that we could be pretty strategic, with people commenting on the year they started loving the band, people who'd been into the band for a while commenting on their love growing and why and so on. These comments could be one or two lines or concert reviews what they were personally going through and how the band/bands music helped them through or whatever.

We would need to get permission to publish photos etc but I personally would love to sit down and read through different peoples different experiences at different times.

This is just the first thoughts on this so I am looking for peoples feedback, is it a good/bad idea? Am I crazy cause it'll be an immense amount of work (for which I will be looking for lots of help from you guys)? I suppose its kinda taking the "Trading Stories..." idea and just trying to blow it up a bit to celebrate the band.

I don't know whether the band will come on board but I'd love to get a fans anthology together to celebrate what we have all been through together over the past 20 years! And who knows maybe some of the band members might want to share their experiences with the fans (although something like this is probably already being looked at by the band already).

As I say I dont know what shape this will take but I would love to have it all done for October time if possible so that gives us a bit of time to get working on it. I'll sent this directly onto 10C and see if they give a response.

So what do you think, who's in??

8-)
I need a coffee!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Great idea, I would be in.
  • A book published by the fans?

Very ambitious but very worth while.
  • i would love to take part as long as all profits went to charity
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    AH277761 wrote:
    i would love to take part as long as all profits went to charity

Funny you should mention that...I meant to put in that all proceeds would go to Wishlist Foundation (if there were any ;) )

This might end up being fanzine'ish...but we gotta aim high :twisted:
    I need a coffee!
  • Great idea!

One of my friends did a similar thing for Metallica a few years back. Sadly no money was ever involved as it was a movie, but at least it aired and the band got a copy as well.

But I'd love to hear more as well.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • I with ya BUDDY!!! :wtf:

Sounds like a cool idea but as you said alot of work involved.
    Maybe a few stories of peoples experiences at the gigs for every year would be the main plan.
    I'd love to read something like that.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I'd be down.. I first saw them in 1992 Lollapalooza, but I would say Randalls Island both nights really sticks with me.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
    I suppose I'm trying to gauge peoples interest and maybe I'll try and put a bit more structure on it in a few days...as I say any contribution will be given consideration.

I'm liking peoples enthusiasim so far tho. thanks.

:D
    I need a coffee!
    Right just got pm'd our first contribution...and it just reassured me that this is something worth doing...I even got goosebumps reading how another person got into the band and briefly how they have impacted on their life (Thanks Mike) and an offer of help...so please if you are interested, drop me a pm with a story or offers of help or whatever.

Thanks
    I need a coffee!
    Bump for today :D
    I need a coffee!
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    hey yeah, this sounds very cool! :)

I'll give it a think when I have some more time (and the ability to focus). will be happy to help any way I can.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Sounds like an awesome project. I'd be glad to send a submission and purchase several copies of the final result.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Worth a Try!!! :)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    if i'm allowed to swear in it Al i'd like to contribute... i fucking love swearing i do. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    im in!!!
    Thats the spirit peeps...now have 2 contributions...from totally different eras but still just as good! Keep'em coming :D
    dunkman wrote:
    if i'm allowed to swear in it Al i'd like to contribute... i fucking love swearing i do. :thumbup:

Course you can sweetie :twisted:
    I need a coffee!
  • KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Al, for a guide have a look at Lawrence Kirsch's The Light In Darkness, a compilation of fan's reminiscences about Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town album and subsequent tour.
    http://www.thelightindarkness.com/home/
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
    Kinsey wrote:
    Al, for a guide have a look at Lawrence Kirsch's The Light In Darkness, a compilation of fan's reminiscences about Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town album and subsequent tour.
    http://www.thelightindarkness.com/home/

Thanks a mil Kinsey...great reference for this project 8-)
    I need a coffee!
  • KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    You're welcome. I'd try dropping him an email, to see if he has any advice for you. That's his second fan-based book on Springsteen and both have been well received, so he obviously knows what he's doing.

Here's his website.
    http://www.musicfoto.com/index.php

Keep us updated on progress!
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,269
    Kinsey wrote:
    You're welcome. I'd try dropping him an email, to see if he has any advice for you. That's his second fan-based book on Springsteen and both have been well received, so he obviously knows what he's doing.

Here's his website.
    http://www.musicfoto.com/index.php

Keep us updated on progress!

I have the first, For You, and that's a great read. I must hurry and order Light In Darkness, it'll be a nice thing to read when the Darkness Box Set eventually arrives!
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • pjbizpjbiz Posts: 208
    Hey Al,
    Any updates on this? I'm in the process of writing my book about my pj tours soon. Moving back to London next week to finish it off. You visiting any time soon?

Jason
    pjbiz wrote:
    Hey Al,
    Any updates on this? I'm in the process of writing my book about my pj tours soon. Moving back to London next week to finish it off. You visiting any time soon?

Jason

Hey Jason, unfortunately I've had to put it on the backburner but I'm about to relight the fire baby :D (I'll buy your book but I want a signed copy :P

I'm definitely gonna need help compiling this information...so any and all assistance will be grateful people.

I think if maybe we put things into era's as opposed to years that might be a bit easier. So how about if we did:

Pre-1990 (anyone who so one or all of the bands previous bands and have an interesting story)
    1990-1992 (Ten era and the start of the whole seattle movement)
    1993-1995 (Vs & Vitalogy era, when the bands fame was probably at its height)
    1996-1998 (No Code & Yield..when the band probably lost "fans" but yet they produced what many feel as their most complete album - I'm a Ten man meself :lol: )
    1999-2002 (The enigma of Binaural & Riot Act)
    2003-2006 (The touring years and the "re-invention of Pearl Jam" with Avocado)
    2007-present (The touring jougernaut continues to build and the bands "finest work in years" in Backspacer).

Obviously these are all open to be changed and others views will be accepted. There may be people out there willing to take on to co-ordinate a section (with help of course) and I'm quite happy to pull everything together. So anyone in particular want to take a certain section to co-ordinate? Please post your name here and also send me a pm please. I would be more than happy to take on the 1990-92 or 2007-present sections but if someone else REALLY wants to do either of these thats cool.

Thanks in advance

Oh and 10C, any correspondence or support would be gratefully received. Even an email replying to my email to say NO! Thanks ;)
    I need a coffee!
    Bump for the yanks wakin up and smelling the coffee 8-)
    I need a coffee!