Best Music Festivals in Europe?

Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
edited December 2009 in The Porch
For those who live in Europe or those who have travelled to Europe to go to a music festival what would you say are the best music festivals?

Basically I'm curious what are the better festivals to attend where PJ is playing or rumoured to play? Not necessarily the largest, but which has the best vibe, best logistics etc. Do any have late night - ie play til 3-4am?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glasto!!!
    its like heaven!

until it rains...
  • glasto!!!
    its like heaven!

until it rains...
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    glasto!!!
    its like heaven!

until it rains...

What year is this? http://musosguide.com/public_html/musos ... onbury.jpg

Seeing that no thanks....actually something like that takes pure dedication...I'm thinking of a small festival. How's the one in the Netherlands?
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    Rockwave Festival - Rockwave in Greece

;)
  • edveddedvedd Posts: 152
    Roskilde Festival in Denmark got the best vibe and there is party all night for 8 days. Ive been there 8 times and it never disapoints. I know it doesnt has the romour among pj fans, but it really does everything for its guest. People who have been there, knows what im talking about.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    All festivals suck unless the line up is good.. which it never is..
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    Not from the UK but do follow the "alt. scene" there. Some good festivals i think are

Glastonbury Festival
    Reading/Leeds Festival
    T In The Park
    Isle Of Wight Festival
    Download Festival
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Brisk. wrote:
    All festivals suck unless the line up is good.. which it never is..

why is that?

Rock Werchter is my fave that i have attended. Reading festival was good as well
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Hard Rock Calling at Hyde Park is really great, especially for the classic rock fans. This year's line-up was probably the best yet.
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,270
    Glastonbury is one of the better ones, it's not the festival it was, but still excellent. Caters for pretty much any type of music you can think of (except Pearl Jam thus far), 30+ stages from the main ones to small stages in bars, plus it also has the cider bus.

Reading/Leeds are good festivals, though the area where the bands are on is emptied every night and you have to go back to your tents (at Glastonbury once you're inside the gates you're free to go where you want whenever you want) and there's no late night entertainment of any kind.

A good small festival is Beautiful Days which is run by the Levellers and has had some great headliners over the last few years, Spearhead, The Pogues, Flogging Molly, Killing Joke...
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • I've been to Glastonbury a couple of times, I thought it was pretty overrated. Reading is better in my opinion.
  • Rock En Seine in Paris, is very nice. This year we went there for the first time, nice line-up: Faith No More, Offspring, Prodigy, etc.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Electric Picnic in Ireland is superb. Not just about the music. They don't always get huge headliners or anything, but the festival as a whole makes up for it. There's so many different things going on. You could easily go the whole weekend without seeing a single band and still have an amazing time. I saw a couple of good plays there last year. There was political debates, and dancehalls, and all sorts of sideshow attractions and whatnot. Absolutely brilliant!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    I also thoroughly recommend the Electric Picnic. It could be a week long and have no good bands, and id still love it. So much to do, such a nice venue.....and normally a fantastic & diverse lineup. Best festival ive experienced so far around Europe .
    http://www.electricpicnic.ie/

I also recommend Rock Werchter. There's not nearly as much to do at it as at EP. All there is to do is watch bands, party in the (very clean and well laid out) campsites, wander the streets lined with stalls and makeshift bars, and catch the free 15minute bus into nearby town for good pubs. But the lineup is fucking incredible every year, the weather is usually great, and there are only 2 stages, so you can see most of whats on if you want. www.rockwerchter.be

The ones i havent been to that sound the best are
    SZIGET in Budapest (week long, very cheap, 200,000 people at it, all sorts of world music)
    http://www.sziget.hu/fesztival

HOVE festival in Norway.
    http://www.hovefestival.com/

Pukkelpop in Belgium (incredible lineups, great atmosphere from all ive heard, cheap)
    http://www.pukkelpop.be/
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JoostoneJoostone Posts: 232
    I've been to all the festivals in the Dutch/Belgian zone and it's a really simple.

Pinkpop and Werchter are huge festival, great headliners but both can be a bit boring they don't have a great atmosphere. Recent years Werchter has proven to be the best out of those two, but they're very similar it mostly depends on the line-up.

Pukkelpop and Lowlands are much more fun, but pukkelpop is a bit young, lots of kids.

Out of those four, Lowlands is by far and really light years ahead of those other three. It's 4 days of craziness, cool bands during the day, some suprising headliners at night and and amazings dj's till the early hours. Actually it's never stops, you can party till 4am every day, there's even a 24hour party tent.

Only the Hungarian Sziget could be a real alternative for the Lowlands festival, but unfortunately I havent been there yet.
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • yielderyielder Posts: 160
    Rock Werchter has won the "Arthur Award for best festival" allready 4 times, received from the Live Music Conference. And this festival is also in hands of the American company Live nation.

I love this festival, been there for about 12 times. and each year it gets better ...

even outside the terrain there is lots to do.. i only buy 1 day ticket but spend more days outside !

but i think Glastonbury is also very good !
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe