Daddy -> Father, Mommy -> Mother

dbodnerdbodner Posts: 60
edited December 2009 in The Porch
I'm sure this has been answered in the past, but what's the reason why in places where they said mommy/daddy (Alive, Why Go, Jeremy, etc) during the studio releases they always say mother/father during concerts ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• heyjoseheyjose Posts: 503
    Uhhh... Ed's grown up?
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• eddie likey baby talk
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Your Guess is as GOOD as MINE! :)
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    I wondered this myself just the other day. Listening to my Boot of the O2 I noticed he said father as apposed to daddy. I only noticed because I was singing along and thought "that's different". I didn't notice it at the show.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    Really! w(*゚o゚*)w
    It's interesting !

london(18.8.09)-ALIVE
    I saw on youtube,Ed certainly sang as not DADDY but FATHER.

Thank you, I carefully listen other songs too ^u^
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    It's evolution, baby...

EDIT: Erm, I mean,"It's evolution, infant..." - just trying to predict the next one...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • I can't remember where I heard this, but I seem to remember reading that after Ed had his first kid, he placed much more weight on the words mommy/daddy. And the people he was singing about were more -other's/father's than mommy's/daddy's. I believe the first he heard his kids say "mommy" or "daddy" really changed the definition of the words for him.

Now, you may be able to go back and see that he changed to mother/father before his first child and this is all BS. But I do recall reading that somewhere.
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
    DeLukin wrote:
    It's evolution, baby...

EDIT: Erm, I mean,"It's evolution, infant..." - just trying to predict the next one...

Hello,Reply to me??
    I'm sorry... I don't understand this mail well. :oops: (←Embarrassed face??)
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    kazuki.k wrote:
    Hello,Reply to me??
    No need to be embarrassed. It was a joke, and not a very good one. I was just saying that things change - it's evolution, and I quoted a line from Do the Evolution. Then I thought, well if mommy is now mother and daddy is now father maybe "baby" would evolve into the more formal "infant" someday? So yea, I need more coffee this morning... ;)
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    kazuki.k wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:
    It's evolution, baby...

Hello,Reply to me??

That post was not a reply to you. Just a general reply as far as I can tell. No need to be embarrassed.

Hajime mashite
    DeLukin wrote:
    kazuki.k wrote:
    Hello,Reply to me??
    No need to be embarrassed. It was a joke, and not a very good one. I was just saying that things change - it's evolution, and I quoted a line from Do the Evolution. Then I thought, well if mommy is now mother and daddy is now father maybe "baby" would evolve into the more formal "infant" someday? So yea, I need more coffee this morning... ;)

Thank you very much ^u^
    I'm reading with the help of a dictionary, so ...It very very very takes time >_<;

Ed became father,After that,,he changes the words..Ed is wonderful!

Good morning, in Japan midnight ^^
    Wilds wrote:
    kazuki.k wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:
    It's evolution, baby...

Hello,Reply to me??

That post was not a reply to you. Just a general reply as far as I can tell. No need to be embarrassed.

Hajime mashite

hajimemashite(*^▽^*)

thank you,wilds.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    If you think about it, "daddy" is an affectionate reference to a parent.. why would a kid who blows their brains out in class have any affection for their parents? "Daddy" didn't give attention.. "Father" makes more sense.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    2012 he switches to spanish.

What you thought was su papá, was nothing but a fool.

2015 he switches to klingon

What you thought was Daq joH', was nothing but a fool.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I can't remember where I heard this, but I seem to remember reading that after Ed had his first kid, he placed much more weight on the words mommy/daddy. And the people he was singing about were more -other's/father's than mommy's/daddy's. I believe the first he heard his kids say "mommy" or "daddy" really changed the definition of the words for him.

Now, you may be able to go back and see that he changed to mother/father before his first child and this is all BS. But I do recall reading that somewhere.

ya know, i'd not heard/read anything about any of it...but this was my own thought on the topic, and would've been my guess/post. i definitely think it's related. ed is a daddy now, and he knows what they means.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    CJMST3K wrote:

YES! i can't wait for the klingon!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    kazuki.k wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:
    kazuki.k wrote:
    Hello,Reply to me??

Thank you very much ^u^
    I'm reading with the help of a dictionary, so ...It very very very takes time >_<;

Ed became father,After that,,he changes the words..Ed is wonderful!

Good morning, in Japan midnight ^^

welcome to the board. That is so cool that you are trying to interpret this all through a dictionary. That is dedication my friend.
    Nice to meet you,PureandEasy
    Thank you!very much ^_^
    Even if I consult the dictionary, I don't understand often...(x_x;)
    [That is dedication my friend.]..this too..I'm sorry...
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    CJMST3K wrote:

Lol! Thanks for the laugh and making procrastinating a little more tolerable!
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • The studio version's use of the words work better with the story line of the songs. I don'y really care for father and mother.
    TDR
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    It's probably just to change things up a bit. When you play something for so long it gets a bit tedious. Mike changes his solos all the time.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    kazuki.k wrote:

hajimemashite(*^▽^*)

thank you,wilds.

My wife is from Nagoya.

I dream to see Pearl Jam in Japan someday. That would be awesome!
  • i've always thought that in jeremy, the terms mommy and daddy take on a more sardonic tone...almost like when someone says "daddy didn't love me" or "daddy never hugged me"...i'm sure he doesn't mean them in the lightest senses of the term...so because of that his thoughts on the words mommy and daddy weren't all childish and happy go lucky, the birth of his children and them calling him "daddy" probably caused him to change the context of the words...so i believe that theory...

as for Alive, it's his mother telling him that his father wasn't his father, and of course mother's always, or at least sometimes refer to their husbands as "daddy" when talking to their children, sometimes it sticks around for a long time and they never really stop doing so...so the purposes in alive, at least to me, is more for dialogue...so i don't understand that reasoning
    Wilds wrote:
    kazuki.k wrote:

hajimemashite(*^▽^*)

thank you,wilds.

My wife is from Nagoya.

I dream to see Pearl Jam in Japan someday. That would be awesome!

Thanks,reply
    I come flom Tokyo,I live in Chiba now.
    My dream is to see PJ-live in the US ^^ !
    (PJ rarely come to Japan T_T I expect a big tour on the 20th anniversary..)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    kazuki.k wrote:
    Thank you!very much ^_^

that means your effort to understand, and learn, is impressive :D
  • OGT92 wrote:
    It's probably just to change things up a bit. When you play something for so long it gets a bit tedious. Mike changes his solos all the time.

Mike has to improvise because he cannot reproduce the original solos on the albums. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    TDR
  • OGT92 wrote:

Mike has to improvise because he cannot reproduce the original solos on the albums. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

no, it's just his style...you make it sound like he changes his solo because he's not good enough to recreate the recording...no not at all...he pretty much always does the same solo but he improvises different things to enhance it, but usually certain things you expect in the solo are still there...the improvisations are there to show skill and they pretty much always work. he's having a good time with it. he enjoys creating solos at the top of his head. those are all reasons why he does it.

i really like it when he does that edgy effectsy stuff, like those "dolphin noises" (that i so call them, daughter on LO2L is what i'm mainly talking about) they really make his style interesting.
    kazuki.k wrote:
    Thank you!very much ^_^

that means your effort to understand, and learn, is impressive :D

Thank you reply,I was able to understand ^^
    There are a great many information on this board!
    It's interesting.