About to buy first guitar... need help

Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
edited December 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ughhh, this guitar buying business is difficult, so many options! I want to spend under $300 though since I am a beginner. This dude is offering me a mexican fender strat 'satin series' with new parts for $250. Or he has a PRS santana-se with armstrong pickups also for $250. Then I saw some stuff on guitar center for under $200, like an Ephiphone SG.

I don't know shit about guitars, any advice would be appreciated. thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Generally, you'll get a better deal on a used guitar in fair condition (not abused, etc) than you will on a "beginner" or "entry-level" guitar brand-new. Think of it this way: a used guitar is already used, and therefor has depreciated already. Unless it becomes damaged or altered in any significant way (think bad paintjobs, stickers, abnormal wear-and-tear, etc) it should be worth as much in two years as it is when you buy it now. A used "beginner" guitar is basically worthless, because they were terrible instruments to begin with. Nobody wants to pay anything for a guitar that cost you $200 new. But I would pay $250 for a Mexi Strat that you bought used for $250.

The other thing is, if it was a decent instrument to begin with, a few years of normal use shoudn't diminish the playability of a guitar. After ten or fifteen years, you may need new frets, or some re-wiring, if it was used a lot (played for at least 10 hours a week every week). There are guys playing 20-year-old guitars all over the place with no problems.

Given the options you listed, the Strat is probably worth exactly what he's asking, so if it looks pretty beat-up, then I'd pass. The PRS would probably sell for more than he's asking on eBay (I think they sell for around $300-400 used), so if it isn't beat up too bad, it might be a good deal. I'd DEFINITELY pass on a $200 brand-new Epiphone, chances are it will play like a log (although sometimes the cheap guitars surprise you). But if it was me, buying sight-unseen and knowing the reputations of the instruments, I'd put my money on the Strat. A Strat is a pretty tough instrument, can take a beating and continue to play forever. And they hold their value, even the cheaper ones. I personally really like the Mexi Fenders, and I own 2 of them. And if nothing else, a Fender is an easy guitar to work on, or get worked on. The PRS SE guitars have a bad reputation for necks warping, even with owners who know how to care for instruments. Any used Fender from Mexico or Japan, Tele or Strat or whatever, is probably worth it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Well I would look at buying a used guitar off of ebay or craigslist. What kind of music do you want to start playing? I would go with a used MIM Strat or tele, you could get one under 300$. Also keep in mind you are going to want a good starter amp as well, the fender frontman 25R is good to start with.

What ever you go with, make sure you're having fun with it right from the start. Although its important, don't get too caught up with the technical stuff right away, you want to get into the hobbie and not discuraged with how you sound. It take a lot of time and practice, just have fun and keep up with it.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    Generally, you'll get a better deal on a used guitar in fair condition (not abused, etc) than you will on a "beginner" or "entry-level" guitar brand-new. Think of it this way: a used guitar is already used, and therefor has depreciated already. Unless it becomes damaged or altered in any significant way (think bad paintjobs, stickers, abnormal wear-and-tear, etc) it should be worth as much in two years as it is when you buy it now. A used "beginner" guitar is basically worthless, because they were terrible instruments to begin with. Nobody wants to pay anything for a guitar that cost you $200 new. But I would pay $250 for a Mexi Strat that you bought used for $250.

The other thing is, if it was a decent instrument to begin with, a few years of normal use shoudn't diminish the playability of a guitar. After ten or fifteen years, you may need new frets, or some re-wiring, if it was used a lot (played for at least 10 hours a week every week). There are guys playing 20-year-old guitars all over the place with no problems.

Given the options you listed, the Strat is probably worth exactly what he's asking, so if it looks pretty beat-up, then I'd pass. The PRS would probably sell for more than he's asking on eBay (I think they sell for around $300-400 used), so if it isn't beat up too bad, it might be a good deal. I'd DEFINITELY pass on a $200 brand-new Epiphone, chances are it will play like a log (although sometimes the cheap guitars surprise you). But if it was me, buying sight-unseen and knowing the reputations of the instruments, I'd put my money on the Strat. A Strat is a pretty tough instrument, can take a beating and continue to play forever. And they hold their value, even the cheaper ones. I personally really like the Mexi Fenders, and I own 2 of them. And if nothing else, a Fender is an easy guitar to work on, or get worked on. The PRS SE guitars have a bad reputation for necks warping, even with owners who know how to care for instruments. Any used Fender from Mexico or Japan, Tele or Strat or whatever, is probably worth it.

just listen to this guy....he knows his shit, his advice has helped me before in the past!
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Generally, you'll get a better deal on a used guitar in fair condition (not abused, etc) than you will on a "beginner" or "entry-level" guitar brand-new. Think of it this way: a used guitar is already used, and therefor has depreciated already. Unless it becomes damaged or altered in any significant way (think bad paintjobs, stickers, abnormal wear-and-tear, etc) it should be worth as much in two years as it is when you buy it now. A used "beginner" guitar is basically worthless, because they were terrible instruments to begin with. Nobody wants to pay anything for a guitar that cost you $200 new. But I would pay $250 for a Mexi Strat that you bought used for $250.

Great, great advice man!!! (and a great write up in general) Thank you, you just pushed me in the direction I was leaning towards. I was browsing another thread and saw something you wrote, and thought to myself 'I hope this guy answers me" hahah.

The Strat he has is nice, he upgraded the pickups and tuners, put a brand new neck on it, and it is in great shape. (purplish color) The PRS was a little beat up, though it looked nice. He told me the PRS was more of a heavy metal sound, which I didn't like about it.

But I think I'm definitely gonna go with the Mexi Strat after reading what you've told me. Thanks again mccreadyisgod.... much appreciated. :thumbup:
  • Well I would look at buying a used guitar off of ebay or craigslist. What kind of music do you want to start playing? I would go with a used MIM Strat or tele, you could get one under 300$. Also keep in mind you are going to want a good starter amp as well, the fender frontman 25R is good to start with.

What ever you go with, make sure you're having fun with it right from the start. Although its important, don't get too caught up with the technical stuff right away, you want to get into the hobbie and not discuraged with how you sound. It take a lot of time and practice, just have fun and keep up with it.

Yeah I've been looking on craigslist all day. So you would go with the srat too,.. yeah that guy selling me it recommended it too, said it was a great deal. I'm going with you guys on this one.....
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    From some angles the flying V looks way cooler than the srat...so maybe that one
    good luck in yo search
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
    Dark Star wrote:
    Well I would look at buying a used guitar off of ebay or craigslist. What kind of music do you want to start playing? I would go with a used MIM Strat or tele, you could get one under 300$. Also keep in mind you are going to want a good starter amp as well, the fender frontman 25R is good to start with.

Yeah I've been looking on craigslist all day. So you would go with the srat too,.. yeah that guy selling me it recommended it too, said it was a great deal. I'm going with you guys on this one.....

it can be hit or miss, but you might find a smoking deal, and MIM strats are on there often.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Dark Star wrote:
    But I think I'm definitely gonna go with the Mexi Strat after reading what you've told me. Thanks again mccreadyisgod.... much appreciated. :thumbup:

No prob....

I always hate to see people looking for their first guitars, and they tend to look at really cheap pieces brand-new, rather than spending the same amount of money on a used instrument with significantly higher quality. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at some parent at Walmart buying the First Act guitar for their kid, and I'm thinking, "That kid could end up with such a better instrument." And the other part of it is, you find people selling those instruments on eBay and Craigslist for pennies, because they're basically worthless. People who want something new won't buy them, and people who know better won't buy them. So if you ever want to upgrade, or if you decide you'd rather play drums than guitar, then you're stuck with something useless and worthless. But buy a mid-level piece of gear that's been used responsibly, and you'll have a good instrument AND something you can sell for, at least most of, what you paid in the first place.

I've owned 2 brand-new guitars in my life, and literally about 30 used guitars. Used instruments just have some mojo already built in. Trust me, I actually prefer used instruments because they're already broken in. Check for abuse, and plug it in to check all the controls (knobs, switches, etc) to make sure the electronics are clean. That's pretty much it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Cool, I will do those things and yeah your 100% right, I was crazy for even considering a piece of shit at the store. The prc he has is pretty sweet too, but the strat is in great condish, i can't turn it down. thanks again.