My daughter's Pearl Jam transformation

circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
edited December 2009 in The Porch
So my daughter is 3 and a half, a very smart and observant little booger. I've made it a point not to force PJ onto her too soon or aggressively. I hadn't mapped out a plan to get her to like Pearl Jam, I guess I just hoped that it would happen naturally, but not for several more years down the road.

Recently I was driving her somewhere and all I said was, "You wanna listen to some Pearl Jam?", not really thinking too much about it as I threw in Backspacer (love it). The sun was bright and low shining on us through the open windows, wind blowing in, perfect weather to rock out. I look back at her strapped in her seat, and she is really getting into it. Not like usual when she's kinda digging a song at the beginning and then loses interest, we're on track 4 and she''s still going. Then Amongst the Waves comes on, a song I absolutely love just about as much as anything they've ever done, and I look back and she is full throttle rocking back and forth, full head swing with hair going everywhere, air drums, air guitar, singing at the top of her lungs, ALL OUT. So it was a really fun, great drive that continued on the ride home.

What's also cool is that she is constantly asking to hear Pearl Jam now. Later I had told her the name of the song she likes so much, and since then she keeps asking me to play "Mongstapongsta Waves", so awesome. I showed her the Italy DVD and she and her little sister (15 mos) both danced to it most of the time it was on. I tried to let her hear other songs too and as we clicked through my itunes library the other ones she instantly liked were All Night and Red Mosquito. I was thinking she'd like Parachutes or All Those Yesterdays and stuff like that, but she really likes to rock.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    When my niece was 4 she really dug Comatose (the "feel it rising" song, she called it). Now she knows quite a bit, but I've needed to back off on the PJ a bit, as not to overwhelm her parents. :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Yeah, some parents aren't down with the kiddos liking the rock n roll.