Is there something wrong with me?

thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
edited December 2009 in The Porch
I have been listening to nothing but Pearl Jam since Backspacer came out and I went to the Seattle shows over two months ago. It hasn't just been Backspacer, I've been listening to every album, like No Code one week, Vitalogy the next. I really feel like I should be listening to more, broadening my music experience, but nothing else sounds good. Any recommendations? Any other bands that are good that I should give a chance? (Besides the usual grunge fodder, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, etc.)
Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    my main stays are the Who, Pete Townshend and PJ, so you know what I would suggest . . .
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Nope *JUST* Pearl Jam all the WAY! for me...I Even *****T U G***** OFF! Over it TOO...PMSL :P :P :P
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Not that being obsessed with PJ is a bad thing, but Radiohead is where I turn when I want to mix it up a little.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I had been a rabid fan my Senior year of high school when they first came out. Listened to them pretty much non stop through '95, got burned out, and then only very sporadically over the next decade. Then my aunt died in 2006, and the first song I thought of was Long Road. So now that I've had this problem since April of 2006, I've come to realize there is no easy cure. I've tried listening to anything and everything else. Tom Petty is the only thing that even comes close to getting me out of the PJ rut, but it's a sickness. If you're like me, you just deal with it and move on.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    I'm on the same boat, i couldn't step out of the "grunge" circle, I'm on Alice in chains and mad season heavy rotation, I need some help too... But help for what? I'm happy listening to my favorite bands and there's nothing wrong with that, right?
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    wilco and my morning jacket

aside from PJ, the two most important American bands at the moment
  • Liam Finn is always a good shout, as is his previous band Betchadupa! Other than that I've been listening to the Them Crooked Vultures album... and a bit of Nick Cave!
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    Get_Right wrote:
    ...the two most important American bands at the moment

I've heard that in the past, I heard wilco on NPR the other day and all I can say is: no matter how good you are as an artist, nobody have the charm of our boys :D but I'll give it a try to wilco and MMJ
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • thefin190 wrote:
    Is there something wrong with me?

yes but it has nothing to do with you listening to pearl jam!

:lol:
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    There's a lot of great music out there. Expand your horizons and find something you like.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    You freak!! Lately I've been listening to Blakroc (must like hip-hop) and Monsters of Folk. Them Crooked Vultures is great too...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Radiohead
    Phoenix
    Death Cab
    Drop, drop, dropping it down...oh, so gently...

• Check out Black Keys if you want a some blues-heavy rock!
    Good evening...
  • I can't answer your original question, but I can tell you what I plan to do today, after listening to nothing in the car but PJ since Backspacer came out. I plan to pop in Vince Guaraldi's soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to make my boys happy. Before you laugh, check it out!

I also plan to take along some Miles Davis; I guess the snow on the ground makes me feel like a bit of jazz. :)

I am always happy to hear Paul Weller on my iPod while I am running; I suggest checking out 22 Dreams.

Cheers.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I also plan to take along some Miles Davis; I guess the snow on the ground makes me feel like a bit of jazz. :)

Can never go wrong w/ some Miles.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Dude I totally no what you mean Im 35 and IMO the music I hear on the radio these days sucks balls. With the exception of a few bands
  • thefin190 wrote:
    I have been listening to nothing but Pearl Jam since Backspacer came out and I went to the Seattle shows over two months ago. It hasn't just been Backspacer, I've been listening to every album, like No Code one week, Vitalogy the next. I really feel like I should be listening to more, broadening my music experience, but nothing else sounds good. Any recommendations? Any other bands that are good that I should give a chance? (Besides the usual grunge fodder, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, etc.)

He's inviting you in....

ledzeppelin-1.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    try them crooked vultures and some nick cave and the bad seeds, as eddie said hes the greatest writer in the history of ever
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    arq wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    ...the two most important American bands at the moment

I've heard that in the past, I heard wilco on NPR the other day and all I can say is: no matter how good you are as an artist, nobody have the charm of our boys :D but I'll give it a try to wilco and MMJ
    give em a chance
    takes time to get into the music, but so worth it once you hear them live
    unfortunately, it looks like MMJ wont be touring for awhile
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with you, if you are happy listening to just one band then that is all that matters. Who wouldn't be happy listening to PJ. They are the best band ever. However, the new Alice in Chains CD Black Into Blue is also really good. :D

Barb
  • Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (live stuff)
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Since Backspacer is literally stuck in my cd player in my car, I listen to other bands while I'm at work. I get obsessive every once in a while too, but I usually mix things up pretty well.

If you want a suggestion check out anything by The Black Keys or any band Jack White is in. More blues driven types of music. As others have said you could always transition to Neil Young or The Who quite easily.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    edited December 2009
    op: no! I'm kinda like you. :D
    I stumbled upon Animal Collective though. I don't like their early shit at all, but the newish Merriweather Post Pavilion lp is good. these songs especially: Summertime Clothes, Taste, Daily Routine, Bluish, My Girls.
    give them a try!

or Kasabian. I think they're good.
    Post edited by broloco on
  • ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 400
    our lady peace, incubus, offspring

are my 3 favs after pj
    Some die just to live
  • Wolfmother's new CD is awesome

just bought Them Crooked Vultures as well
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Kings of Leon, White Stripes (Raconteurs and Dead Weather too), Them Crooked Vultures. And of course Zep!

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Get a Pandora account and set up a station with some of your favorite PJ songs (more effective than making a whole PJ station). I've found a lot of good stuff this way
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,310
    Nothing wrong with you but give PINK FLOYD a try :P
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. I haven't listened to any other band's cd in my car in over 10 years. Nothing else compares with PJ...nothing ever will.
  • PjWeezyPjWeezy Posts: 160
    Try Counting Crows: August and Everything After, and Recovering The Satellites (Both albums are fantastic from start to finish.)

On a side note, I too have not listened to anything but PJ since early October.