Framing Posters and care?

WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
edited December 2009 in The Porch
To all that frame their posters:
Is there a specific frame (material in the frame) that's best to use and what's the best care from the long exposure to the air when being framed?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would recommend using UV glass because it will help protect the posters from fading, I always use it. Even if the poster isn't in direct sunlight it is still exposed to enough light to cause fading. Seek advise from a framing shop or art supply store regarding materials, if you are framing them yourself. However if you are having them framed the shop should be using materials that are safe for the posters.
  • KM157675 wrote:
    I would recommend using UV glass because it will help protect the posters from fading, I always use it. Even if the poster isn't in direct sunlight it is still exposed to enough light to cause fading. Seek advise from a framing shop or art supply store regarding materials, if you are framing them yourself. However if you are having them framed the shop should be using materials that are safe for the posters.

Do you know of of a shop by any chance that are known for framing?
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,546
    Would recommend using conservation glass & acid free backing.
    Frame job like matting & metal/wood framing, go nuts! :mrgreen:
  • demetrios wrote:

I have all my poster not framed and was thinking of giving myself a gift for the holidays. I am new to this and I'm looking for advise to preserve my posters. I am taking notes.

If anyone has more advise please post them here. Thanks.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    I know a lot of people on here aren't big fans of it... but I tend to use Michael's. When you hit one of there sales (usually they do 60% off framing at least once every 2 months), the pricing is reasonable, and they have done a good job with all my frames.

Plus if you have a couple of Michael's in your area you can find a framer that you like to work with (knows the type of colour scheme's and frames you like best)... I've got about 6 Micheal's within a 20 mile radius, and I've found one guy that I keep taking mine back to... he does a great job.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    WashMyLove wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

I have all my poster not framed and was thinking of giving myself a gift for the holidays. I am new to this and I'm looking for advise to preserve my posters. I am taking notes.

If anyone has more advise please post them here. Thanks.

How do you have your posters stored? If you don't have the dough to frame all your posters, imo, pick up one of these acid free art portfolio's. Very well worth it.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount- ... -Cases.htm

Great for traveling. When friends come over you can showcase your collected art posters. It's pretty great.
    Check out Jerry's coupon saver's on the top of the page.

:)
    shep wrote:
    I know a lot of people on here aren't big fans of it... but I tend to use Michael's. When you hit one of there sales (usually they do 60% off framing at least once every 2 months), the pricing is reasonable, and they have done a good job with all my frames.

Plus if you have a couple of Michael's in your area you can find a framer that you like to work with (knows the type of colour scheme's and frames you like best)... I've got about 6 Micheal's within a 20 mile radius, and I've found one guy that I keep taking mine back to... he does a great job.

I find Michaels to be very, very expensive. Even when they offer those 60% off frame job's. I asked how much it would cost without the 60% deal, oh mama! Pretty much laughed my ass off. When Micheals opened here @ Dartmouth Crossing, I was pretty excited. But was blow away with their cost on framing my poster. I would ask for the cheapest metal frame, no matte finish. Just acid free backing & conservation glass. I still buy art supplies from Michaels. But for frame job's, nah!
  • Good advice you lot. TA! :D
  • I keep some of my posters in those poster tubes and some just rolled up with a rubber band :( I really want to preserve them better. I will check michaels if they are located in nyc.also have to check the website that was provided. Looking for a service not too expensive.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I REALLY need to get My "PERTH 06" Poster framed...:)