Question for poster collecters

SKELLERSKELLER Posts: 165
edited December 2009 in The Porch
What do you perfer? AP or 1st addition?

I've seen situations where 1st additions are more then the AP and vice verse.

(Figure all the conversation going on about BK sale, this would be the be time to ask).
"I can't tell you how many ways that I've sat and viewed my life today." - Shannon Hoon.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OkOk Posts: 2,144
    99.99% of the time the A/P's would be more valuable in terms of resale value - they also cost more (generally) but really it comes down to what you prefer. I like the fact of buy directly from the artist. a cool perk.
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    Reasons I'd take an AP:
    1. Support the artist by giving money directly to them
    2. If it's somehow different than the 1st edition
    3. If the artist does a little doodle or something else that's neat

Reasons I'd take a 1st edition:
    1. It's cheaper

Bottom line, if I don't care too much for the artist, I'll go for the 1st. But when it's Brad or Emek or someone I really like, I'd rather go AP
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I'll take either for my collection. I don't usually worry about the A/P simply cause it's usually a pain to get.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I agree with all that has been said. It's cool to get an AP with a doodle, just additional artwork imo. But, if you like the poster and can get it at the concert or in the mail before like lately, that's cool too. It really depends on why you are collecting, but generally the AP's will cost more and increase more in value. If you aren't already on www.expressobeans.com you should be. Great site with lots of info. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    1st editions from shows I attend. Obviously, you can't get the signed/numbered ones at the concerts.
    1st editions from the 10 club.
    AP's from BK.
    Older shows, any version I can afford.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 877
    1st editions from shows I attend. Obviously, you can't get the signed/numbered ones at the concerts.
    AP's from BK.

Hallelujah!!!! :lol:
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • I LOVE A/P editions. It is really cool when I can get an A/P for a show I attended but, if not I settle for the first edition.
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Hey there Skeller, how are those two new additions doing? Got any cool framing ideas like one on each side of a bay window?

I think you need a few more...
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • SKELLERSKELLER Posts: 165
    Hey there Skeller, how are those two new additions doing? Got any cool framing ideas like one on each side of a bay window?

I think you need a few more...

Not yet... but that's only because I'm taking my time with framing. Will through up a pic wen done.
    "I can't tell you how many ways that I've sat and viewed my life today." - Shannon Hoon.
  • What is the difference between 1st edition, a/p and numbered editions? Still a little unclear - Thx
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,546
    1.) 1st edition poster's are great!
    2.) a/p's (artist proofs) editions are sweet!
    3.) p/p's (printers proofs) are wicked to the max!
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    What is the difference between 1st edition, a/p and numbered editions? Still a little unclear - Thx

Depends on the Artist.. You may get a 1st Edition at a show and then when the A/P comes out from the artist they will have a limited run maybe 200 or so and they will be numbered and signed. Sometimes you will get a little doodle on them as well. Emek does it with all his prints such as this below. Also sometimes with the A/P's there may be a slight varition of color or maybe a different color all together or medium. They are also more expensive than the 1st editions, sometimes triple the price or more.

4163769148_dbc0c92602.jpg
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • 1st editions from shows I attend. Obviously, you can't get the signed/numbered ones at the concerts.
    AP's from BK.

Ditto...
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    i feel i need to clear something up........

with a few exceptions there is no difference in the poster from the one you get at a show...from 10c or BK/AMES site

lets say BK prints 1000 posters.....he takes 300 before he sends them to pearl jam....he then signs and numbers those 300 for AP prints.out of xx/250 he keeps a 50 for himself for gifts and stuff......now what ever is left over from the concert 10c gets to sell on the site .....so truly there is no 1st or 2nd editions ... ALL PRINTED AT ONCE

in the case of the AMES 2ND AP set in 03 i think.....they realized they could make more money ...after selling the first batch LIKE HOT CAKES....they S/N another 50 -100 and sold them as AP2's........FOR MORE MONEY..nothing wrong with that.... the 03 posters got out of hand.... if you ask me

there are few cases when BK wasnt happy with the print so he printed more with the correct colors to sell on his site ETC ETC...HARTFOD 08 was one i can remember....

AP PRINTS:
    yes you will pay more money to get an AP cause it is SIGNED/NUMBERED by the artest.....and it will be PERFECT when you get it in the mail if not you can send it back ..........

CONCERT PRINTS:
    good luck with getting it home safely ... i bring poster tubes with me to the shows ...but i did notice this year they offered poster tubes for sale

THEN YOU GOT "VIRAINTS " a WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL ON ITS OWN..... if you see one "cheap" buy it
    these are posters that an artiest well REPRINT old posters or a HIGH in demand poster on either FOIL paper,WOOD, VELVET PAPER or even clear PLASTIC..... there is only about 5-20 of them made and you looking at a minimum of $1,000...just do a EBAY search for EMEK posters and click on the option to see everything from the HIGHEST price fist......you will shit your pants.........

it comes down to the MONEY ...how much you got and how much your willing to pay..i have seen AP posters bought for 200 from an artiest and sold three seconds later for over 2000.....seen it with my own two eyes....
    if you even want to get "INTO" collecting posters check out EMEK .JERMAN ROGERS and JUSTIN HAMPTON ....... you think BK has some good prints ... those three guys ALONE make sick posters...and now they have combined to form PNE posters......meaning THE THREE OF THEM WORK ON ONE POSTER .....priceless
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes