Can you imagine?

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Ya know, and this coin obviously has two sides...

but WHAT IF Pearl Jam took a different course in their careers. After "Vs." they held back on most commercial methods to sell the band. Personally, I believe it was the right decision, and time will probably tell that in rock and roll history it will become one of the most important decisions.

But what if they didn't?

Even today, Pearl Jam sits atop the rock kingdom as one of the greatest rock bands of today / all time.

How big would they be if they made videos for Black, Daughter, Elderly Woman, Betterman.. etc. ... did interviews, pushed for awards ... etc. Did what most conventional bands do.. (Green Day, U2, Metallica..)

Don't get me wrong, they are who they are because of those decisions... but they literally blacked themselves out of a LOT of people.

... well...

Thank You to Pearl Jam for making the RIGHT CHOICE.
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    eddie would be dead or at the very least the band would have broken up during vitology, it nearly happend anyway, thats why dave a was kicked out of the band, i think
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    satansbed wrote:
    eddie would be dead or at the very least the band would have broken up during vitology, it nearly happend anyway, thats why dave a was kicked out of the band, i think

agreed,

it's interesting to think about... that in 1993 they made a decision that at the time crippled them and lost them millions of dollars....

but in the long run.. made them more money, possibly saved their lives, and cemented them as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. :)

I wonder how many people thought they were crazy in 1993.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Call me crazy but they would be the biggest band in the world (given they didnt break up) if they would have went down that track. I think about this all the time when my friends don't exactly dig Pearl Jam as much as Nirvana or Soundgarden.

Even if PJ would have broken up after Vitalogy they would still be huge. If Ed would have killed himself in 94' then in would be "Ten" at number 17 on RS 500 greatest records of all time and not "Nevermind".

I'm super happy they did things the way they did. Because of their decisions they have a VERY loyal fanbase and MASSIVE respect from almost every musician on the planet.

I often wonder about this scenario but am super proud to call myself a fan of the greatest band in the world, the band that gave popularity the middle finger! :D
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    satansbed wrote:
    +1

This band would have imploded had they not pulled back like they did. We're all very fortunate they made it through the mid 90's at all. . .
  • Parksy wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, they are who they are because of those decisions...

I don't think "decisions" is the right word....I don't see what Ed was going through so much as "conscious decisions" as it was just a "normal" reaction for him, being in the state of mind that he was.

but HELL YES!!....everything turned out perfect!!...why?...because they are all still with us and they are still making awesome music together!! :D:D