Cost to frame posters?

shaneroyshaneroy Posts: 75
edited December 2009 in The Porch
So after 18 shows plus 1 eddie show I have exactly 5 posters. the eddie evel knievel and the 4 philly oct shows. How much should i expect to pay for basic black frames, also is it possible to frame the 4 philly shows side by side in one big frame? Any recommendations for places to do this in philly area welcome as well. thanks kids
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    DO NOT GO TO A CHAIN STORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to a local/small shop .. they will be cheaper ..as for framing the philly posters in one frame...................good luck with that.. it will cost you alot of money...

fyi
    i got my first poster framed at michaels cost me over $280 WITH A 50% off coupon....grant it i did mount it glass on glass...meaning there is not matting nor a baking to it...the poster is "floating" in the frame..... the last few i got framed cost me peanuts to what micheals/AC more is charging .... there is a board member who owns his own shop ...he told me to go with a local shop .....i did..and never looked backed ,15 and cointing
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Where I live, the local shops are expensive. Michael's is pretty competitive with there % off sales. Go for an estimate at both, then decide.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    I would go with a trusted local shop- See if you can take your own frames- Some times you can score on frames at the local thrift store. Michael's is way to expensive and sometimes they have regular employee's working on them- and trust me you don't want an un-experienced guy working on your piece.

The price will will depend on what kind of work you have done- I believe a simple mat and regular glass will do the trick- some folks like to use the acid free base and all that crap, but as long as you have it in an area where it will not be exposed to the elements - you will be fine!
    I'd say no more then 50 is a good price. If your in southern CA contact me I got the best guy in the area.
    trust me I have had over 45 posters done, along with other items.
    Framing all of those posters under one frame, shouldn't set you back to much if you go basic. I'd say about 200 or so.
    Good luck!
    tonifig8
  • Under $200 for a set of 4? No way! Its gonna cost a pretty penny even if you go cheap. If your trying to keep it "cheap" do it yourself. Put it this way, I just got back from the frame shop today and dropped $545 on 2 posters.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    joe2468 wrote:
    DO NOT GO TO A CHAIN STORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to a local/small shop .. they will be cheaper ..as for framing the philly posters in one frame...................good luck with that.. it will cost you alot of money...

fyi
    i got my first poster framed at michaels cost me over $280 WITH A 50% off coupon....grant it i did mount it glass on glass...meaning there is not matting nor a baking to it...the poster is "floating" in the frame..... the last few i got framed cost me peanuts to what micheals/AC more is charging .... there is a board member who owns his own shop ...he told me to go with a local shop .....i did..and never looked backed ,15 and cointing

Ya think you can recommend a local place on the island. Haven't been to the framers in a while, got SLC,EV Rocket, Chicago1, and SD that I'd like to get some pricing on.Michaels has done a good job with a bunch of my others, but if I can save a few and help out a small business...I'm all for it

Thanks
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Do it yourself ...

americanframe.com

and this ... http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php/DIY_Framing

save a lot of money.

Unless these are the rare posters and you really care about their value and want it done superbly, then a professional framer is in order.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Under $200 for a set of 4? No way! Its gonna cost a pretty penny even if you go cheap. If your trying to keep it "cheap" do it yourself. Put it this way, I just got back from the frame shop today and dropped $545 on 2 posters.

Yeah man if you go cheap you can get it done. Just the glass and basic black frame.
    600 is a lot of money - Did you get the works done?

The most I have paid was a little over 100 for the frames pictured below. The air vedder and the rolling stone magazine have been my most expensive pieces, but that's because I had it done with fine wood and double matted.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TonyFiguero ... qOwgZbsNQ#
  • Like others said do not go to a chain. I get my posters framed at an art supply shop in Fresno CA. Simple metal black frames with uv glass cost on average $50 depending on the size. I'm am a stickler for quality too, and this place does a solid job. I would expect you could find a legitimate place like this anywhere. I would make sure your posters are stored in the proper fashion when in the shop. Ask about how they store them. They should be stored in hard cover art portfolios with acid free paper. Goo Luck.
  • tonifig8 wrote:
    Under $200 for a set of 4? No way! Its gonna cost a pretty penny even if you go cheap. If your trying to keep it "cheap" do it yourself. Put it this way, I just got back from the frame shop today and dropped $545 on 2 posters.

Yeah man if you go cheap you can get it done. Just the glass and basic black frame.

The most I have paid was a little over 100 for the frames pictured below. The air vedder and the rolling stone magazine have been my most expensive pieces, but that's because I had it done with fine wood and double matted.

The wroks? Maybe. :mrgreen: The 2 posters arent rare and arent worth much at all! They just look great and thats why I spent so much. BTW, I only buy posters to shows I've been to. Its hard to refrain otherwise but its a rule of mine. Ill post them Sat/Sun after I pick them up. I have a great disregaurd for money, afterall its just paper... :lol::lol::lol:

The wroks? Maybe. :mrgreen: The 2 posters arent rare and arent worth much at all! They just look great and thats why I spent so much. BTW, I only buy posters to shows I've been to. Its hard to refrain otherwise but its a rule of mine. Ill post them Sat/Sun after I pick them up. I have a great disregaurd for money, afterall its just paper... :lol::lol::lol:

LOL! Man- that makes life much easier. I never looked at it like that! Thanks for informing me on that one!
    Maybe you should spend of that paper on my collection that's for sale!
    ;)