The People Speak...

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited December 2009 in The Porch

Be sure to watch the long awaited documentary THE PEOPLE SPEAK Sunday, December 13th at at 8:00 pm Eastern and Pacific (7:00 pm Central) on The History Channel (check your local listings). Inspired by Howard Zinn's books A People's History of the United States, THE PEOPLE SPEAK uses dramatic and music performances of the letters, diaries and speeches of everyday Americans to give voice to those who spoke up for social change throughout U.S. history, forging a nation from the bottom up with their insistence on equality and justice.

THE PEOPLE SPEAK is produced by Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Chris Moore, Anthony Arnove, and Howard Zinn, co-directed by Moore, Arnove and Zinn, and features dramatic and musical performances by Allison Moorer, Benjamin Bratt, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Chris Robinson, Christina Kirk, Danny Glover, Darryl "DMC" McDaniels, David Strathairn, Don Cheadle, Eddie Vedder, Harris Yulin, Jasmine Guy, John Legend, Josh Brolin, Kathleen Chalfant, Kerry Washington, Lupe Fiasco, Marisa Tomei, Martín Espada, Matt Damon, Michael Ealy, Mike O'Malley, Morgan Freeman, Q'orianka Kilcher, Reg E. Cathey, Rich Robinson, Rosario Dawson, Sandra Oh, Staceyann Chin, and Viggo Mortensen.

For more information on THE PEOPLE SPEAK, please visit http://www.history.com/peoplespeak

THE PEOPLE SPEAK College Tour will bring the film's producers and cast members to eight universities across the country for live readings, clip screenings, and discussion. For a tour stop in a city near you, please visit http://www.history.com/content/people-s ... llege-tour

THE PEOPLE SPEAK Soundtrack featuring new songs by Eddie Vedder, Allison Moorer, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Exene Cervenka and many others will be out on Verve Records on December 9th. For more information, visit http://www.peopleshistory.us/news/peopl ... D-on-Verve

Join The People Speak on History on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/thepeoplespeakonhistory

...it says new songs by Eddie Vedder...i hope they mean new as in actually new, and not just "relatively" new
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    huh? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Sounds good....! Oh, wait... what? :?
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • front page of the site people
  • soundtrack looks like it just has Ed doing "Masters of War"
    front page of the site people

when I said "huh?", all that other stuff wasn't there! ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    imalive wrote:

Yeah, sure.

:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Yeah, sure.

:D

Last edited by PJ Fan est. 1990 on 03 Dec 2009 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

He pulled a fast one!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • well i realized none of you had common sense to look at the homepage where you can see the news...so i just copy pasted it to save time
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    D'oh! More cable TV watching w/commericals!

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"
  • I don't know if the new trailer is on youtube or not but in the latest email from howardzinn.org they have a link with the newest trailer. It's top right of the page.

http://howardzinn.org/default/
  • "Masters Of War"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    I remember Eddie and I think John Legend were writing songs for a Howard Zinn project. Not together. Or maybe it was something else.
    I miss igotid88
  • KS243859 wrote:
    "Masters Of War"

so it's not new...i hate when they say "new" when it's not...no offense to anyone involved in either site...but it gets your hopes up and then they have an old song...granted i don't think Eddie or PJ ever recorded a studio version, but any PJ/EV fan knows MOW is not a new song
  • KS243859 wrote:
    "Masters Of War"

so it's not new...i hate when they say "new" when it's not...no offense to anyone involved in either site...but it gets your hopes up and then they have an old song...granted i don't think Eddie or PJ ever recorded a studio version, but any PJ/EV fan knows MOW is not a new song

Ed performed at a couple shows for this and they just chose Masters Of War. Each artist is reading or singing something from someone who helped the progress of history and Ed's will be Bob Dylan. Here is a peace written about one of the shows.

Then, Vedder went to the front of the church, sat on a chair, picked up a guitar and, after stopping twice to collect his emotions, devoted his song, "The Long Road" to Roslyn Zinn. "Without you," Vedder sang, "something's missing...Now I wish for you again/And the wind keeps blowin'/And the sky keeps turning gray/And the sun is set..."

When Vedder finished, the crowd -- some in tears -- applauded vigorously and went back into the hot Portland night.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.s ... _vedd.html

Don't know if he really has 2 songs in the film but it says so here, although I doubt he does.

---> Eddie Vedder, legendary Pearl Jam vocalist, performs two songs in The People Speak, including a powerful cover of Bob Dylan's "Masters of War"

http://www.examiner.com/x-956-Atlanta-M ... r-and-more
    don't tell me I missed Long Road in the last 15 minutes!! :shock: :shock:

I had to go to bed after Masters of War - it was past my bedtime and I already knew that $$$ = power in the ol' USA.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    don't tell me I missed Long Road in the last 15 minutes!! :shock: :shock:

I had to go to bed after Masters of War - it was past my bedtime and I already knew that $$$ = power in the ol' USA.

no Long Road was not in the film. Ed just performed it at one of the shows where they recorded the segments.