Options

State of Love and Trust sheet music HELPPPPP!

Mira Zaki PhotoMira Zaki Photo Posts: 35
edited December 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi everyone! I have posted once before about this- and it seems to be my parallel universe... I wish I could just knock on Ed or Mike's door for this answer- but since I can't... can anyone please help me find the sheet music for State of Love and Trust? I want to use it for a tattoo....thanks! : )
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392

NO!
    You have too many beats (seven and a half!) in that 4/4 measure. Then you have a blank measure in between. WTF?
    Those mistakes will haunt her if she gets a tattoo of it. :?

Please don't put that on your arm or leg or where ever... :|
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    NO!
    You have too many beats (seven and a half!) in that 4/4 measure. Then you have a blank measure in between. WTF?

Ah... thanks for the... was that help? I dunno.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... SOLAT2.jpg

I hate sheet music. But that's how it's played... you play 2 F-maj chords, then mute before the A-min chord, which rings out for over a measure. If you have SUGGESTIONS of how to fix it, please, share.
  • Options
    I wasn't commenting upon the chords.

I was commenting upon how it was notated as far as the rhythm is concerned. To put something that's not notated right on your leg is like walking around with a tattoo that's supposed to say "I love Mary" written as "I xlv Nary." :|
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    NO!

Ah... thanks for the... was that help? I dunno.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... SOLAT2.jpg

I hate sheet music. But that's how it's played... you play 2 F-maj chords, then mute before the A-min chord, which rings out for over a measure. If you have SUGGESTIONS of how to fix it, please, share.

You're almost there with this second version you put up. Now, just TIE the a minor chord over the bar line to a whole note a minor chord. That's the way to show that it's still ringing in the next measure.

And, really, if you want it to be entirely right instead of one half note rest, in this metre you should have the equivalent amount of rest notated with an eighth rest, a quarter and then another eighth. Notice that these rests all add up to the same amount of time as the 2 beat rest you have but this shows where the beats fall in a more clear way. That's why it's the correct way to write out. It groups the notes so the rhythm is easy to see at a glance.

Music notation is fantastic because it is SO specific.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    Music notation is fantastic because it is SO specific.

Unfortunately that's not the case when transcribing guitar parts... Some things just can't be properly done that way.
    But only because I'm afraid I've just started splitting hairs here:
    With this song you'd have to transcibe all the dead-notes and take into consideration that there's more than three notes in each chord, cause it's more or less strummed using all six strings.
  • Options
    Okay, so here is attempt number 3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... SOLAT3.jpg

And yes, this is a simplified piano 101 type transcription of the song... although the F chord in the intro is a 5th-string barre chord, so it's only 5 notes (F, C, F, A, C). The notation for the full guitar chords would, I think, look sloppy, which is why I chose to use the standard piano chords rather than the guitar chords. Besides, any decent musician who saw this notation would instantly say, "that's an F-maj followed by an A-min, I can do that."
  • Options
    That looks like what you were trying to do. Make sure you put a curved line from each note to each note of the a minor chord for the tie (imagine three smiles) and then it'll express what you want it to.

You'd be surprised at how much MORE complicated scores can be (!), but I think for a tattoo, this is plenty of detail.

Do you think the person might have wanted the melody Ed sings though? ;):D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Okay, so here is attempt number 3.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... SOLAT3.jpg

And yes, this is a simplified piano 101 type transcription of the song... although the F chord in the intro is a 5th-string barre chord, so it's only 5 notes (F, C, F, A, C). The notation for the full guitar chords would, I think, look sloppy, which is why I chose to use the standard piano chords rather than the guitar chords. Besides, any decent musician who saw this notation would instantly say, "that's an F-maj followed by an A-min, I can do that."

Like I said, just splitting hairs here and you're right with what you said (while you still can the F-barre using all six strings without playing a wrong note. You're just adding a low A which is perfectly fine (A, F, A, C, F, A) ;) ). Again, I'm not trying to be a smartass or deliberately piss off people here or anything. So please don't feel offended.
    Just feeling concerned for someone who might get a permanent tattoo of this and might want to get this as close as possible to how it's actually played.
  • Options
    Alright, here's the proper intro, with the full guitar part (that NO guitarist will be able to understand, since none of us know notation). I've got four measures that SHOULD be complete. I don't see anyone else doing this, so I guess that's gonna have to do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... SOLAT4.jpg
  • Options
    Anybody know how to note muted rakes? Do you use "X"s in place of notes? Those are the only things missing, really.

Edit: Okay, I figured out muted note rakes. Here is (I think) the final version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... SOLAT5.jpg

I would've charged a graphic design customer $60 for this, so if you don't like it, suck it. I did it for free.
  • Options
    Here's my attempt. It's pretty much the same with a few minor changes like the chord change going through a C-maj and the transposition. But as that is usually omitted, it could easily be left out.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/ScrapeMySky/Solat.jpg

Again: I wasn't trying to mock anyone's work. Just making suggestions and didn't have the time to make a version of my own over the weekend.

Edit: Crap! Forgot the dead-notes in the second part. Will post a corrected version later.
  • Options
    These look good now. :) Someone could read these and not think the person that wrote it was illiterate.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Ok. So here's the reworked version of my attempt:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/ScrapeMySky/Solat2.jpg
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    These look good now. :) Someone could read these and not think the person that wrote it was illiterate.
    i was figuring with all your input, that you might have had a go yourself ;)

anyways..

MIG, massive kudos to you for perservering with this. you have more patience than i'll ever have. nice work. Mira Zaki Photo, i hope you at least bring cookies on your return to this thread ;)
  • Options
    Heck yeah, I'd take some cookies.
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    i was figuring with all your input, that you might have had a go yourself ;)

I was rushing in and out of the house that day and I really didn't think he needed more than a comment or two. :? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    OMFG I NEVER SAW THIS THREAD!! HAHAHAH! I have not gotten the tattoo yet
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

OMFG I NEVER SAW THIS THREAD!! HAHAHAH! I have not gotten the tattoo yet

Good thing cos' there was a serious music nerd session in here over your post.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LOL LOL, it was AMAZING to come back to and read after so many years. I loved it!!!
  • Options
    ALSO! I got the sheet music shortly after from a drummer friend of mine!