Pearl Jam Supports Yellow Ribbon Club

Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Just saw this story on my local (Philly) news - So proud! :D :

http://cbs3.com/local/The.Yellow.Ribbon.2.1346727.html

MARLTON, N.J. (CBS 3) ― 1

A South Jersey organization whose mission is to aid men and women serving overseas recently received a helping hand from a major name in the music industry.

The momentum behind the "Yellow Ribbon Club," which is responsible for many of the surprise homecomings for troops in Southern New Jersey, began with the vision of one woman.

Leslie Drummond started the organization after her own son was deployed to Iraq in 2005. Shortly after, volunteers started putting together care packages for the troops.

However, just recently, the shipping company that had been shipping the packages overseas for free had to stop due to the economic slump. Each shipment of boxes costs hundreds of dollars.

"I had a moment of feeling defeated and 'o my goodness, what am I going to do?'" Leslie said.

Leslie's fears were eased when the Yellow Ribbon Club received an unexpected and generous donation from the rock band Pearl Jam.

"I almost fainted and then I was like 'o my gosh, I can't believe something like this happened," Leslie said.

Pearl Jam fan and Yellow Ribbon Club member David Silver wrote a letter to the group several months ago and explained what the club was all about and how the band inspired him to join.

"They also inspired me to go beyond my normal living, to do something to help another cause," Silver explained.

Drummond did not publicly say how much the group donated, but she did say it should keep the group going through the holidays.