New boots v's old.

veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Since PJ released the entire 2000 tour we've been spoiled with masses of well recorded downloads and/or physical copies of almost every show since. I love it from a collectors point of view and I listen to as many as I can but I still seem to spend more time listening to audience recordings or radio shows from the 90's. I keep about 150 shows in my walkman and more than 50% are from this decade but the old ones are still the best to me. Anyone else have a similar view?
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yeah 'LUV' listening to the " EARLY " 90's STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,591
    I prefer audience recordings over many of the boots, especially the newer 08/09 ones.
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Yeah 'LUV' listening to the " EARLY " 90's STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Amen! Im listening to newcastle 92 now, it must be the heaviest black ever played..
    I will swallow poison
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Personally, given a preference, I would take the told unauthorized soundboard recordings even though I'm completely grateful the band finally was able to put out all of their shows in the manner they wanted. IMO the early soundboard boots had better tone and less audience.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I love the old boots as much as the new ones. I listen to the new boots more because of the variety of songs. The early 90's boots are like Ten and Vs on shuffle. Not bad but I like to hear a wide variety in my boots and PJ always does that every show.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,547
    The unofficial bootlegs we would buy from our local record store many year's back, kicked ass!!! My favorites were anything by KTS (Kiss The Stone) & Oxygen Records. Got over a dozen of those bootlegs. $35 bucks a single CD, $60 for 2. I loved buying & collecting Pearl Jam bootlegs. Would trade copies back in High School & University. Wasn't much into mail trading. I had all my connection here! But I pretty much stopped buying unofficial bootlegs till '99. The year I bought my first PC & got logged onto the Matrix, where SHN audio bootleg trading was king. When the '00's came out, they were great. Had to collect them all. They were cheaper then your unofficial bootleg releases. Only thing missing was PJ artwork/photos etc.. It was pretty plan & simple. '03 bootlegs were ok. Though I didn't like the sticker thing on the edges.

But, there was something different with the unofficial bootlegs. Those bootleg show's before '00. There were many show's that were soundboard quality (straight from the feed), but were never mixed or edited. I loved those cd's. Raw & unedited. Why I love audience recordings. Listening to an audience recording feels like you were there. You were @ that same spot the taper was. Yes, SBD kicks ass & rocks on your high powerful sound system. But if you are looking for 'feeling' like you were @ that seat, hearing the crowd around you, around that atmosphere, audience recording is where it's at. Example, check out bt.etree.org.

:)
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,030
    Great post as i am listening to Melb 3/17/95 right now & the sound on this amazing as it was broadcast around the country on JJJ. I have different points of view regarding the old v new. It is so much easier to get the new ones & you know that you will get good quality. The old ones have a great feel & rawness, that is you if get a good recording. There is nothing worse than paying through the nose & getting a bad recording. When the lo2l came out the sound was brillant & i had hoped that the sound of the offical boots would be the same but some of 2000 ones are a bit tinny. I love my bootlegs & will always be on the look out for offical & original types. My fav is self pollution radio, my first decent sounding bootleg.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    I was at work listening to Great Woods, Mansfield 98 when I posted today and Red Rocks, Colorado night 2 after that. :D Nice to hear there's still some enthusiasm for the unofficial boots. I loved finding these in second hand shops on trips to Dundee and Edinburgh over the years. Still look around for them when I get the time. Live PJ was very hard to come by once and I'm sure plenty people have good memories of early boots and radio broadcasts. It's so easy now which makes all the, "where's the Philly boots" get a bit boring. Good things come to those who wait, you don't even need to look very hard ;)

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • How do soundboard bootlegs get recorded?? I never understood how they get out...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,030
    veddertown wrote:
    I was at work listening to Great Woods, Mansfield 98 when I posted today and Red Rocks, Colorado night 2 after that. :D Nice to hear there's still some enthusiasm for the unofficial boots. I loved finding these in second hand shops on trips to Dundee and Edinburgh over the years. Still look around for them when I get the time. Live PJ was very hard to come by once and I'm sure plenty people have good memories of early boots and radio broadcasts. It's so easy now which makes all the, "where's the Philly boots" get a bit boring. Good things come to those who wait, you don't even need to look very hard ;)

I got Self Pollution at Camden Lock Markets in 1996. It is a nice feeling to stumble on boots & then find out they are really good quality. Ebay was a big source when i was hooked on it few years back but now there isn't much on there. I downloaded a show from from 2006 & only had dial up, it took 2 days! But cant wait to get a job & with my first pay packet i will get my highlight of 2009, London o2. What a great setlist.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 443
    Old boots are awesome, "Checkpoint Charlie" is one of my favorites. Its the 11/3/96 Berlin radio broadcast.
    RD171825 wrote:
    Old boots are awesome, "Checkpoint Charlie" is one of my favorites. Its the 11/3/96 Berlin radio broadcast.

Got that 2cd set. Heard the show live over Toronto's 102.1 The Edge feed! :mrgreen:
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    How do soundboard bootlegs get recorded?? I never understood how they get out...

I have always wondered this too. The only thing I can think of is that it's an inside job* from someone who works in the venue.

*no pun intended
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Right -- soundboards happen because a sound engineer lets it happen.

But tapers got so freakin creative over the past 2-3 decades, some of the audience boots are amazing. I used to know a lot of tapers and always freaked over the levels they went to: sneaking gear in, chopping very expensive gear up and putting it in smaller cases, and the money spent on it all. But so worth it.

"Hey look at this cool t-shirt I got at the concert last night!"
    "Oh yeah, that's cool. Wanna hear the show again?"

I have a RUSH bootleg that's actually the INTERCEPT of their wireless earpieces! Strange mix on that, what the musician wants to hear in his ear -- lots of high-hat and bass drum, strong instruments, no vocals!

Most people I know don't like audience boots -- just sounds flat to them, no seperation of instruments and annoying claps and shouts throughout. Understandable, it takes a certain frame of mind to enjoy an audience boot. But I love them, the vibe of the audience is sooooo much of the show, sing-alongs and the roar in between. And the whole "your in the spot the taper is in" feeling, really cool -- the conversations and such you hear, hilarious!

I'd say my 30GB iPOD is easily 2/3s stuffed with audience bootlegs....
    [sic] happens
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    yeah, why are those unoffical bootlegs so f'in expensive? I never bought one back in the day...but recently I'm in the indy record stores in NYC and I see them going for like $45. what what?? who's still paying for that now? I'd probably think about buying one if they went for $10. I don't get why they're charging so much for something that usually looks like shit (artwork), and might not might not sound good! I'd love to get into them, but why can't they be cheaper?
  • I like the soundboards and radio broadcasts from the 90's but I'm not really into audience recordings
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    soundboards (official or otherwise)...
    all the way..
    don't need to hear Mary from St. Louis singing along with Eddie or "Dan's great business idea" during a McCready solo..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • bambam87bambam87 Posts: 545
    speakin of boots... whats the word with the philly shows, its been a while... is it gonna be an official release(gorge) or a dvd? anybody hear anything
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    TIVLOI hands down best boot..... the sound was perfect ...and the artwork was top notch

my first boot was NO FUCKIN MESSIA ..........

"protect the art of music.............dont spoil the jam"
    EV liner notes in no fucking messia
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
    bambam87 wrote:
    speakin of boots... whats the word with the philly shows, its been a while... is it gonna be an official release(gorge) or a dvd? anybody hear anything

there are many rumors, like the european tour, that night's 3 & 4 were videotaped by a huge crew & a release of those show's will hit stores via dvd & bluray. as for the mp3/flac/cd, there's a wait on the mixing/mastering. take it for what it's worth. we just have to wait and see what comes out of all this! :)
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    demetrios wrote:
    The unofficial bootlegs we would buy from our local record store many year's back, kicked ass!!! My favorites were anything by KTS (Kiss The Stone) & Oxygen Records. Got over a dozen of those bootlegs. $35 bucks a single CD, $60 for 2. I loved buying & collecting Pearl Jam bootlegs. Would trade copies back in High School & University. Wasn't much into mail trading. I had all my connection here! But I pretty much stopped buying unofficial bootlegs till '99. The year I bought my first PC & got logged onto the Matrix, where SHN audio bootleg trading was king. When the '00's came out, they were great. Had to collect them all. They were cheaper then your unofficial bootleg releases. Only thing missing was PJ artwork/photos etc.. It was pretty plan & simple. '03 bootlegs were ok. Though I didn't like the sticker thing on the edges.

But, there was something different with the unofficial bootlegs. Those bootleg show's before '00. There were many show's that were soundboard quality (straight from the feed), but were never mixed or edited. I loved those cd's. Raw & unedited. Why I love audience recordings. Listening to an audience recording feels like you were there. You were @ that same spot the taper was. Yes, SBD kicks ass & rocks on your high powerful sound system. But if you are looking for 'feeling' like you were @ that seat, hearing the crowd around you, around that atmosphere, audience recording is where it's at. Example, check out bt.etree.org.

:)

^This :thumbup: Those KTS boots were awesome!! Still have a few of them floating around. Some PJ, AIC, RATM, Metallica...

There's a feeling you get from a good audience recording that can't be matched. I love the official bootlegs but in most cases they don't capture the atmosphere the way an audience recording can. Either way, no matter which you prefer, Pearl Jam fans are the luckiest fans on the planet when it comes to the availability of live recordings.
  • HeavyHands wrote:
    How do soundboard bootlegs get recorded?? I never understood how they get out...

I have always wondered this too. The only thing I can think of is that it's an inside job* from someone who works in the venue.

*no pun intended

The majority of the "soundboard" boots weren't really recorded directly from the soundboard. They were broadcast to radio stations and recorded from the broadcast. If you listen to boots like Atlanta '94, Melbourne '95, Soldier Field '95, you'll hear Ed mention that they're being broadcast on the radio. The boot I have of Soldier Field '95 even has the intro from the radio DJ on it.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
    Granted you don't really want to hear the same person yelling, "state of love and trust" or "we love you eddie" all night but you do get audience recordings that are easily comparable with the some of the 08 and even a few 09 boots for quality. It's best to avoid too many from pre 94 as the setlist doesn't vary that much but there's some absolute gems from the latter half of the 90's. Spend a night or two on the concert chronology pages on twofeetthick.com and then see if the shows sound good on pearljambootlegs.org. You'll end up with tons of new favourites on your ipod. You're not going to find the quality from the 05 or 06 boots but we don't get that now.

• I can't believe that people prefer audience recordings over the official ones. Nothing pisses me off more than when my band plays a show and the club records it for you and you take it home and it was recorded with two microphones in the back of the room instead of from the board. They always tell you that audience recording gives you a better "mix" than the board feed and blah blah blah, but in my opinion audience recordings are undesirabale regardless of how much better the mix is. Sometimes you have no choice, but with Pearl Jam you have the choice of a perfectly mixed (usually) soundboard recording. Who cares if you can't hear the audience? I don't want to!
    It's just choice! If you want to play a live official bootleg soundboard show very loud, you don't listen to it on your headphones. You blast your home entertainment system, car stereo speakers to the heavens. Cause it's SBD. Play it loud!

I like listening to audience recordings with my Sony headphones. Sit back & relax. Close your eyes & listen. It feels like you were there @ the show. Right where the taper was. It's a different feel then hearing a soundboard recording. You hear just Pearl Jam. And a few crowd noises here & there.

Both feelings are good.
  • I can't believe that people prefer audience recordings over the official ones. Nothing pisses me off more than when my band plays a show and the club records it for you and you take it home and it was recorded with two microphones in the back of the room instead of from the board. They always tell you that audience recording gives you a better "mix" than the board feed and blah blah blah, but in my opinion audience recordings are undesirabale regardless of how much better the mix is. Sometimes you have no choice, but with Pearl Jam you have the choice of a perfectly mixed (usually) soundboard recording. Who cares if you can't hear the audience? I don't want to!

Hmm.. and you like Evacuation too..

~kidding~
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • demetrios wrote:
    It's just choice! If you want to play a live official bootleg soundboard show very loud, you don't listen to it on your headphones. You blast your home entertainment system, car stereo speakers to the heavens. Cause it's SBD. Play it loud!

I like listening to audience recordings with my Sony headphones. Sit back & relax. Close your eyes & listen. It feels like you were there @ the show. Right where the taper was. It's a different feel then hearing a soundboard recording. You hear just Pearl Jam. And a few crowd noises here & there.

Both feelings are good.

There are 2 parts of 2 different 09 boots that i turn up loud, b/c i want to hear us (I was there so i get goosebumps hearing it)... LA3 when Eddie says Chris Cornell, and then the first notes of H/S, and also San Diego, at the crowd's turn of the last call/response on Betterman.

I love the official boots, but i do wish the audience mix was higher. If you don't want the crowd, go listen to japan 03
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Well as a musician, I prefer to have soundboard recordings of my performances, and I guess that spills over into my musical tastes. Don't get me wrong - there are some really good audience recordings out there that sound almost like soundboards - but usually not.
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    veddertown wrote:
    Since PJ released the entire 2000 tour we've been spoiled with masses of well recorded downloads and/or physical copies of almost every show since. I love it from a collectors point of view and I listen to as many as I can but I still seem to spend more time listening to audience recordings or radio shows from the 90's. I keep about 150 shows in my walkman and more than 50% are from this decade but the old ones are still the best to me. Anyone else have a similar view?

That's just because the band is nothing of what it used to be back then. 1994 Atlanta, 1992 Holland, 1993 Canada etc. all this is priceless. Now they're more or less just a money-making-company.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
    TT8270 wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

That's just because the band is nothing of what it used to be back then. 1994 Atlanta, 1992 Holland, 1993 Canada etc. all this is priceless. Now they're more or less just a money-making-company.

That's a fair enough point I guess as I do believe the earlier shows were better (favourite era will always be vs - no code for me) but this is still a band way ahead at the top on the live scene and they're certainly not finished for a good while yet. Matt and Boom have added enough to make up the slight loss of vocal quality from Ed which is only my opinion (Mark Lanegan and Tom Waits benefited from all that smoking but it will catch up with Ed) All bands can be accused of being in it for the money but I don't feel like I'm being cheated with PJ. This is a band with another 10 years in them and however much money they make is fine with me as long as the product remains this good. The angry days have been replaced for better or worse but it still works.

• brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    a little off topic, but still relavent question:

are the 2009 boots cd-rs like last years?