Options

Celebrate the life of Dr. King

zootownzootown Posts: 666
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Just a quick note hoping everyone can celebrate and remember one of the greatest people of modern times. I hope that at the very least, we take a moment to reflect on what the world may look like now if not for the tireless work of Dr. King and his cohorts and supporters. Thank You Dr. King and rest in peace.
I hold the pain, release me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    i have to work for the first time ever on MLK day today. our new company doesn't observe it. my commute to work was like driving around in a ghost town this morning. oh well, had "The Wolf" all turned up and it fit the scene well.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    In my opinion, it's a disgrace the number of organizations that do not recognize this as a holiday.

In defense of my part of our organization, we are open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.

Our corporate office does recognize it, just not the labs.
  • Options
    I am lucky, I am a stay-at-home mom so I get to be home with our little girl today. I am going to teach her about MLK and his fight for equality for all people.

Without him, and others not as high profile as him, we would all be in a terrible state. We still have a long way to go.

As a people, we are strong, and loving, but also scared. We talk big, and have great ideas, but are afraid of the government. The constitution gives up the right to do something about a government that is "to big". When are we going to take Dr. Kings lead, and honor his memory and many others, and do something about it?

This country belongs to the people, not the government and corporations.

If MLK were alive today, I feel he would be leading the rally and chanting along with the rest of us..."Support our troops, BRING THEM HOME!"

Peace and Love to all
    L
    ~Changing the world...one person at a time~
    ~www.myspace.com/laurababy0105~
  • Options
    Bless ya zt. and thanks!!!
    :)

as a minority, I cant thank him enough for making it easier for me. as a human being, i cant thank him enough for making it better for all of us.

((ML King))

We should never forget the people who have made the world what it is today. How can we?

RIP
    @-)----
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    I gotta say, I started this thread this morning and only 30 views and 4 posts?!! I hope it's because lots of folks only post at work and many are at home today and it's not just apathy. what's up?
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    I gotta say, I started this thread this morning and only 30 views and 4 posts?!! I hope it's because lots of folks only post at work and many are at home today and it's not just apathy. what's up?
    maybe if it was at the AET it would get more views...or maybe not everyone saw it- I barely did.

Thanks for making it!!! :) :cool:

I am watching an Oprah special on him right now. Its touching.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    zootown wrote:

I saw this in the morning but I really didn't have much to say about it.

My thought didn't seem that relevant to the thread..."I wonder what else he could have accomplished if he'd lived a bit longer?"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I saw this in the morning but I really didn't have much to say about it.

My thought didn't seem that relevant to the thread..."I wonder what else he could have accomplished if he'd lived a bit longer?"

No doubt. I have been thinking that all day. It just increases the respect I have for King that he did what he did in the relatively short period of time he had on this Earth. I just wanted to put this thread up as The Porch seems like the most frequented board, but perhaps r-b was right in suggesting it should have been posted somewhere else.
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    about it.
    "I wonder what else he could have accomplished if he'd lived a bit longer?"

wow can you imagine? we have come a long way...and I think he would be proud. I mean there's lots to work on, but there is much more freedom- the kind that MLK dreamed of in his speeches.

thanks justam. :D
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    No doubt. I have been thinking that all day. It just increases the respect I have for King that he did what he did in the relatively short period of time he had on this Earth. I just wanted to put this thread up as The Porch seems like the most frequented board, but perhaps r-b was right in suggesting it should have been posted somewhere else.
    Actually, I thought it was cool seeing this at the porch. Pearl Jam have always supported the same ideals as MLK. Just another reason (or main) this band is amazing.

Maybe there was no need for the mods to move it. :)

Its nice that someone did make a thread.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    hes MLK not rodney dangerfield... respect for him is a given in my book and theres not a whole lot to say about him that hasnt already been said more eloquently then i could ever put it... great guy... great impact... glad my school celebrates this day and has us go to school on that cock sucker christopher columbus' day
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Actually, I thought it was cool seeing this at the porch. Pearl Jam have always supported the same ideals as MLK. Just another reason (or main) this band is amazing.

Maybe there was no need for the mods to move it. :)

Its nice that someone did make a thread.

Thanks R-B. Appreciate the love....
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    here i think im gonna get a link to the "i have a dream" speech or something and its fuckin U2 :D

as long as were on the topic tho, who do you think has done more for the world... MLK or Bono

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    here i think im gonna get a link to the "i have a dream" speech or something and its fuckin U2 :D

as long as were on the topic tho, who do you think has done more for the world... MLK or Bono

Are you kidding?
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    Are you kidding?
    yes... jesus... should we add angelina jolie to the running too?

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

Don't you realize the song was about Dr. King?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&