The band's knowledge of their own catalog

circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
edited December 2009 in The Porch
For some reason over the years I've heard little comments from them from time to time that makes it seem like they don't remember all of the details of their albums as well as their fans do. Kinda like in SVT when Ed referred to "the middle records", almost like he didn't know their titles. Sometimes when they talk about their work I get the feeling that they would have a hard time naming all of their records in order, or like there are songs like they probably don't even remember. Is it just me? WTF?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jon wrote:
    For some reason over the years I've heard little comments from them from time to time that makes it seem like they don't remember all of the details of their albums as well as their fans do. Kinda like in SVT when Ed referred to "the middle records", almost like he didn't know their titles. Sometimes when they talk about their work I get the feeling that they would have a hard time naming all of their records in order, or like there are songs like they probably don't even remember. Is it just me? WTF?

I think that's common with artists of all genres. I'm sure there are geeks out there that would kill George Lucas in Start Wars trivia.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    I think that's common with artists of all genres. I'm sure there are geeks out there that would kill George Lucas in Start Wars trivia.

+1 easily!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • I've noticed that Ed doesn't like to mention the names of his albums on stage (Instead of saying something like "this is a cut off the last record" etc.). I always took it as a sign of humility, sort of like trying to avoid slipping in a cheap plug.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • jon wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you but Ed always looked high in the interview parts of SVT to me... :D

I love it!
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    edited December 2009
    I've noticed that Ed doesn't like to mention the names of his albums on stage (Instead of saying something like "this is a cut off the last record" etc.). I always took it as a sign of humility, sort of like trying to avoid slipping in a cheap plug

It's funny you mention this because I was watching ACL and after they played 'Army Reserve' Ed says, 'That was a song called "Army Reserve" and uh, off the uh, and uh we were looking forward to coming to Austin.....'. :D

It was like he was about to name the Album and then he changed subject.
    Post edited by Easties on
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    my guess is he most certainly knows... just chooses not to say 'em or uses other terms or phrases. He likes his wine but is no idiot lol
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    They're probably more geeky about their music than we realize....they record EVERYTHING and keep notes and papers and all that stuff...they are buffs of their own history...and they sound like they are their biggest fans... :D
    be philanthropic
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Easties wrote:
    It's funny you mention this because I was watching ACL and after they played 'Army Reserve' Ed says, 'That was a song called "Army Reserve" and uh, off the uh, and uh we were looking forward to coming to Austin.....'. :D

It was like he was about to name the Album and then he changed subject.
    I've actually heard Ed refer to S/T as Avocado.. like we all do :mrgreen:
    which might be why he got flustered trying to say it on ACL, since 'Avocado' would mean nothing to non-fans (and be misleading to tehm), 'Pearl Jam' would confuse and S/T is just weird to say..
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Probably have to AGREE with the a post " UP ^^^^^^^^^ THERE " that they DON'T want to put in A cheap!!! 'PLUG' :)
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    You guys aren't familiar with the Middle albums?

Middle 1 and 3 are awesome. Middle 2 is so-so.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Thats because we are geeks. Ed is not.
  • Thats because we are geeks. Ed is not.

30738195-30738196-large.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i always buy the program when i go to a PJ gig. if we played name that tune, i'd miss half of them, even tho i know the song as soon as it starts. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I think they know more than they let own. Like someone else said they record every show and have extensive notes and know every set list to every show they ever played.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    jon wrote:

It's just you. They know their stuff inside and out....

"So remember in Boise on June 23, 2004 when we were heading into the CDE progession in the middle 8 of Rearview and I dropped the F and drove into the chorus over Matt's paradiddle and dropped my capo?! Yeah, should have been spanking the GBF in dropped tuning on the m-tune instead? No?" for example...
    be philanthropic