2005 vs 2009 shows

zootownzootown Posts: 666
edited December 2009 in The Porch
I know alot of folks have been praising the band for the recent run of shows, some of you have even said that in their opinion, some of the gigs were the best they had seen. I have listened and attended several of the boots/shows, and well I have to say it; I don't think this tour was nearly as good as 2005. this was only 4 years ago. Sure, there have been a good chunk of rarities played and the band is clearly loving life right now, but musically, I thought the 2005 shows were FAR superior. I first saw PJ in 92, and I have to say, the 2005 shows were the best I have ever seen....any thoughts?
I hold the pain, release me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Philly '05 is the best PJ show I've been to. Freaking fantastic.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Philly 05 stands as one of my favorite PJ shows of all time...

but this may be b/c it was the day before I left town to marry my best friend and PJ concert soulmate.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    DeLukin wrote:

No shit! AND....the infamous Gorge show with the acoustic set and almost every Canadian show was incredible, not to mention I saw the Tester Benefit show in Missoula (a very underrated show) that was incredible. There have been some pretty mediocre shows this past tour, I think mostly due to Eddie's vocal range getting smaller and just a tad less reliable than I am used to.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    As a tour- I think 2005 was better than 2009. But, I think there were a couple shows from 2009 that were top 10 all-time (10/30, 10/31, London 02 show)
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i saw 5 shows in '05 and 4 of them rank in my top 10 pj shows of all time (out of 40+). having pj in my backyard for a 4-night run was pretty nice this year, though, too. :D
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    DeLukin wrote:

Definitely a fav, Spectrum 03 was pretty intense as well and forgotten.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    marcos wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:

Definitely a fav, Spectrum 03 was pretty intense as well and forgotten.
    it's not forgotten! i still rank that above all of the '09 spectrum shows!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Philly 05 stands as one of my favorite PJ shows of all time...

but this may be b/c it was the day before I left town to marry my best friend and PJ concert soulmate.
    A great point. Setlist, sound and band/crowd energy are only part of the equation when judging shows. Personal experience does matter which is probably why consensus is tough to come by on these types of threads...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • this was so easy...
    ARGENTINA..2005.!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0oiW2wQ1c
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    the 05 & 09 shows stand out for me over everything else ive seen. Ottawa and Philly were amazing. Its too tough to choose.
    DeLukin wrote:
    Philly 05 stands as one of my favorite PJ shows of all time...

A great point. Setlist, sound and band/crowd energy are only part of the equation when judging shows. Personal experience does matter which is probably why consensus is tough to come by on these types of threads...

Point taken. I guess to me setlist, musical integrity and energy and Eddie's attitude/vocal range is usually how I rank shows. Crowd/personal experience seems like it is relevant only in the past several years in discussions of what the best show is. When I was seeing them in the mid-late 90's, they KILLED it everynight, regardless of what the crowd was doing. In fact, I remember a few times when the crowd was tame, Eddie would get pissed, which usually meant better vocal performances.
  • Check out London from '05!
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Check out London from '05!

2nd best out of 16 I've been to...so good!
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    this was so easy...
    ARGENTINA..2005.!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0oiW2wQ1c

True story! I have Argentina, Chile x 2 and a Brazil show from this run. Amazing atmosphere every time. 2009 wins the setlist battle hands down though :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,547
    Halifax '05, baby! Halifax '05! 8-)
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    I only saw them once in '05, in Toronto and it was amazing, but for me... nothing beats those 4 Philly shows in '09. No, I'd never seen them in Philly before but Philly 3 was just the most incredible concert experience of my life and very closely followed by Philly 4, 1 & 2.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 877
    Gorge 05, Calgary and Halifax were epic
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    If we're comparing the two, I think the 2005 tour wins out easily.

However...

The band's live peak was 1992-2000. Nothing since touches that.

*ducks*

Sure, they have a lot more fun up on stage these days (or seem to), but they'll never match the tightness and intensity of those shows.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    2009 way better for me now they have way more material to cover it's not even close in that dept :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • wahinewahine Posts: 86
    I loved hearing the new songs at the Philly 3 show, but Philly 05 shines above the rest. The Crazy Mary equipment blow up, Crown of Thorns...The boys were at their best!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine. I Am Mine
    Til the Lightning Bolt sets you free

Wahine - I'm a Lightning Bolt

9/2/98, 7/1/03, 10/3/05, 5/30/06, 6/17/08, ED-8/16/08, 10/30/09, 5/13/10, 10/29/13, 10/14/14

-RIP Hippiemom -
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I always look at the 2005 tour as some kind of turnaround for this band. Like this is the point where they rediscovered having fun or something.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • I've been to quite a few shows.. and i think the 2009 tour has been great.. the LA-4 show was just fucking fantastic.. i'm not going to compare years...(91-94)... that's like comparing drummers.(?).. it doesn't really matter what we think, but this year has really kicked ass... but i'm not surprised... greatest band ever. it's not a band... it's a lifestyle.
    Spencer wrote:

However...

*ducks*

Sure, they have a lot more fun up on stage these days (or seem to), but they'll never match the tightness and intensity of those shows.

If you would have said this in 2004, I would have agreed. But in 2005, they just seemed SO on top of their game. They could play ANY song at ANY time and not miss a beat. I know now they can still do it, but I think (and I know that I am not alone on this) that at times Eddie struggles vocally, where in 2005 it was automatic! Did they play a mediocre or bad show in 2005? I thought there was more than one show on the 2009 tour that were pretty sub par by PJ standards (Sydney, Seattle I....)
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    zootown wrote:
    Spencer wrote:

However...

*ducks*

If you would have said this in 2004, I would have agreed. But in 2005, they just seemed SO on top of their game. They could play ANY song at ANY time and not miss a beat. I know now they can still do it, but I think (and I know that I am not alone on this) that at times Eddie struggles vocally, where in 2005 it was automatic! Did they play a mediocre or bad show in 2005? I thought there was more than one show on the 2009 tour that were pretty sub par by PJ standards (Sydney, Seattle I....)

Jeff is going to find you and beat you like a red-headed step child my friend! :lol:

How are you, M? ;)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    I saw a number of shows in '05 and '09 and here is my $0.02 on the subject:

As a Canadian, the '05 tour was special. Many of the cities they played in were places that I didn't think would ever see PJ (Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Kitchener, London, St. Johns, etc.) and mot of those venues were about half the size of a typical PJ arena show. The band had a great time, were in a great spirits for the whole tour and played some amazing high energy shows. The set lists were very good although there did seem to be quite a bit of repetition in many of the 6 shows that I saw. I wouldn't trade my PJ experience in Kitchener, Ottawa or London for anything! All 3 were amazing shows.

The '09 tour was absolutely amazing in terms of the band's energy, hearing new material, some interesting venues (Gibson, Spectrum, finally Seattle proper), and most of all amazing setlists. Before this year I had seen 31 shows and there were a number of songs that I honestly had given up on ever hearing live ~ No Way, All Those Yesterdays, Of The Girl, Hold On, Alone, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, Mankind, the list goes on and on... I heard all of these songs at least once this year. The variation of the setlist was better than ever this year, even if you take the abandoned Philly experiment out of the equation.

Every show I saw in '09 was amazing, beginning with PJ's best ever hometown show that I've seen (Toronto), then two amazing high energy and very special Chicago shows. The Seattle shows were great. LA 3 an 4 were two of the best shows ever. Bar none. San Diego was amazing. And all 4 Philly shows were spectacular. And those are just the shows I was at. Looking at everything from Vancouver to SLC to Berlin to 02 to the Aussie and NZ shows - EVERY SINGLE SHOW in '09 was spectacular in its own way.

I would take '09 over '05 hands down. And I never thought that the '05 tour would be replaced as my most memorable tour.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    zootown wrote:
    Spencer wrote:

However...

*ducks*

Jeff is going to find you and beat you like a red-headed step child my friend! :lol:

How are you, M? ;)

Im good S, how are you. You dont even know how many times our little experience that night has been told and re-told. thankfully, most everyone I tell it too takes MY side :lol: "YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ED!"---good times, good times....lets just say I will steer clear of a certain someone from hear on out, the closest I will ever get is if I win the lottery and end up front row! 8-)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I have to agree with a lot of you, Philly 03 Spectrum show was PHENOMENAL. Philly 05 Wachovia was a fantastic night as well.

And as far as this past run here in Philly, I don’t know, they were on FIRE. The Friday night show was the favorite of the four for me.

I think a couple of the shows they did in Canada rank up there as well.

I really don’t think it’s comparable, it’s all about the total experience for the individual.