Got a new stompbox!

ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
edited December 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Some unexpected money came my way and I couldn't resist and ordered a MXR Blue Box. I'm pretty exited about it, cause my band has booked some studio time starting tomorrow and I can't wait to force it on my bandmates and try it out on the recordings. :D Does anyone here own one? Opinions?
I know this post kind of doesn't have a point yet other than venting my exitement, but I can post something of a review once I get it, which should be around Tuesday.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't know much about the Blue Box, but I know it can get you in trouble pretty quickly... They're definitely one of those weird-noise-boxes for some "WTF?" sounds.

I actually bought a new(er) ProCo Rat off a guy on Craig's List a couple months back, but haven't had a chance to play with it at any volume, since I'm stuck in small-apartment purgatory. Eventually, I'd love to have a Keeley-modded Rat, or perhaps a BYOC Mighty Mouse.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • They're definitely one of those weird-noise-boxes for some "WTF?" sounds.

That's exactly what I'm going for. I'm really into weird effects. :D

At some point in the future, I need to find an affordable Fuzz box. My Russian Big Muff is all right for now but I'm looking for something a little dirtier. The ones out there are either not quite what I'm looking for or cost a fortune like the Z.vex boxes. But all the fun is in the chase anyway...
  • Sick. It's not versatile at all, and more of a special gimmick than something you could use on more than a handfull of songs. The 'Fool in the Rain' sound is still a pretty conservative sound for this pedal. If you play around with it a little, you can get extremely mean sounding stuff out of it. It even has a pretty decent fuzz sound if you blend out the octave completely. But then you could really use a few more controls.
    One aspect of it's unpredictability is it's poor tracking, which is fine for guitar but renders it almost unusable for lower bass tones. All in all a nice little effect for that little extra. Glad I bought it.
  • The poor tracking is one of the reasons it's a definitive lo-fi effect. And it is definitely capable of "nasty." If you wanted something a bit cleaner, a Micro POG and a Russian Big Muff would've done the job...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • The box is pretty much exactly what I was going for, as I was only planning to use it very occasionaly for some special sounds anyway. I already have a Russian Big Muff which I usually use for bass, but don't like too much in my guitar setup. For my usual overdrive/distortion I'm very satisfied with my Ts 808 copy.