Learning Drums

satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
im thinking about learning the drums and i was just wondering if anyone here had any tips, where should i start??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    I'm joining you with this question.

I have been wanting to learn it since I was 16 but first I failed to convince my parents and then there was this money / 'noise'/ space issue :?
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • this site is actually pretty cool and there are good free lessons on here:

http://freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/

also, there is a ton of vids on you tube, you have to sift through the bullshit though (type in Vann's Drumming this dude know what's up). if you don't have a kit, get a practice pad and the biggest freagin' sticks you can find (like drum corp./marching band) it'll build up you hand technique. LEARN DOUBLE STROKES.

i would highly recommend paying a lot of attention to Drum Theory and Notation jared faulk has a detailed section. learn how to read! it's easier than you think. then the skies the limit as long as you are willing to practice.

once, you know how to read pick up some books. the drummers cookbook by john pickering and the rockin' bass drum by john lombardo are great (two of my favorite books).

Good Luck, and remember to just have fun with it!
  • SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    dont go spending a heap on your first kit just take your time getting the time as said on the other posts some good learning sites on the net but enjoy the groove and the noise the people around won't :lol: i have a electronic kit in the office at home to play around with wife and kids still tell me to the shut the door :lol:
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    First, I would recommend getting a USED drumset, as long as it sound "good". The reason I mention that is I fiddle around with guitar... and once I got a guitar that sounds "good" it made me much more happy with my sound, even with limited abilities. ...same with cymbals. Get cheap cymbals, but ones which sound good to you.

Secondly, I've been playing a drumset for about 25 years, and I learned by having a record player behind me and playing to the music that way. Just starting off playing easier songs that you like with your iPod, and wear hearing protection over your earbuds.

Lessons would probably be the quicker way, but the above is what worked for me. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    First, I would recommend getting a USED drumset, as long as it sound "good". The reason I mention that is I fiddle around with guitar... and once I got a guitar that sounds "good" it made me much more happy with my sound, even with limited abilities. ...same with cymbals. Get cheap cymbals, but ones which sound good to you.

Secondly, I've been playing a drumset for about 25 years, and I learned by having a record player behind me and playing to the music that way. Just starting off playing easier songs that you like with your iPod, and wear hearing protection over your earbuds.

Lessons would probably be the quicker way, but the above is what worked for me. :)

Great advice. I recommend taking about 8-10 lessons to get started. Poor grip and technique will lead to injury to both your body and your cymbals.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Practice rudiments and watch the Jojo mayer DVD. You'll be a pro in no time.

Rudiments - do these over and over and over again and you'll get better every day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rGsGZT ... re=related

Jojo - this guy's amazing and the dvd is the best our there - here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RoaedF ... re=related
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Find a good teacher and then you won't be practicing bad habits. I think drumming is an instrument that requires a good technique so you don't hurt yourself and so you know how to use your arms, wrists, hands and legs in a relaxed way.

I took my son to his drum lessons for years and I thought how great it was that good drum technique was so fluid, relaxed, yet precise at the same time! :shock:

Kind of like a noisy, fun, WILD kind of exercise. :D:mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    As others have said, lessons is the way to go!

Four-way independent coordination doesn't come overnight!

And unlike other instruments, where you can get by with poor or improper technique, drumming improperly can lead to injuries!
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yeah I've been Playing the BASS for about 10 years now and want To TRY out ANOTHER Instrument! DRUMS Would be COOL! :)
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    i taught myself by listening to The Beatles and drumming along with Ringo.
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The only word of advice I have is DONT go over analyzing songs and start playing covers of songs you like note for note, drum fill for drum fill. ( like what you would see on youtube) I never learned the drums by trying to play songs and because of that I developed my own style of playing very early on. 95% of the time I play its just me improv-ing and making up things as I go with no music playing. Then when I did go play with people it was awesome cuz I was just doing wierd ass shit with the music cuz I have my own style. I seriously can't even make an attempt of trying to play a song exactly the way it is on record.... that kills your style. drumming is supposed to change every time you play IMO.

edit: oh and you must practice rudiments. I never bothered with that and because of that I feel like my playing is kind of limited.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The only word of advice I have is DONT go over analyzing songs and start playing covers of songs you like note for note, drum fill for drum fill. ( like what you would see on youtube) I never learned the drums by trying to play songs and because of that I developed my own style of playing very early on. 95% of the time I play its just me improv-ing and making up things as I go with no music playing. Then when I did go play with people it was awesome cuz I was just doing wierd ass shit with the music cuz I have my own style. I seriously can't even make an attempt of trying to play a song exactly the way it is on record.... that kills your style. drumming is supposed to change every time you play IMO.

edit: oh and you must practice rudiments. I never bothered with that and because of that I feel like my playing is kind of limited.

I'd recommend the OP indeed learn "note-for-note" on a number of songs, and once he's built up a repertoire of skills, then he can learn to deviate from that. It's kinda like learning to speak a language, then learning how to create poetry, once you are familiar with how words are normally put together in sentences. I don't think the OP will be learning Keith Moon music to begin with anyway...

IMO, if the OP were to specifically not play note-for-note at the time they're just starting, they wouldn't be learning much to begin with. Much like a guitarist being told don't play the chords to a song... just make it up as you go along. But you need to know the chords to begin with, then you can learn to deviate from it.

OP - Above you see two polar opposites on how to approach leaning from existing music. Choose whichever you feel is the best way for yourself to learn.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    CJMST3K wrote:

I'd recommend the OP indeed learn "note-for-note" on a number of songs, and once he's built up a repertoire of skills, then he can learn to deviate from that. It's kinda like learning to speak a language, then learning how to create poetry, once you are familiar with how words are normally put together in sentences. I don't think the OP will be learning Keith Moon music to begin with anyway...

IMO, if the OP were to specifically not play note-for-note at the time they're just starting, they wouldn't be learning much to begin with. Much like a guitarist being told don't play the chords to a song... just make it up as you go along. But you need to know the chords to begin with, then you can learn to deviate from it.

OP - Above you see two polar opposites on how to approach leaning from existing music. Choose whichever you feel is the best way for yourself to learn.

I guess that makes sense. When I got my first drum lesson I learned the basic rock beat in like 5 minutes so from day one I was able to play very basic songs. So when I started playing I just played and made stuff up from the start. I didn't really need to bother playing to songs
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    jets521 wrote:
    i taught myself by listening to The Beatles and drumming along with Ringo.

Me too!!! I have a tape somewhere of me drumming along to the entire Please, Please Me album... :)
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10