AMONGST THE WAVES IS SO AMAZING!

circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Man I can't get over how great this song is. I've been dying for the band to give us another song that soars a la In Hiding or Given to Fly, and this is it. For some reason when I saw the tracklisting for Backspacer and saw this title for some reason I assumed it would be a lame uke song about surfing, so I wasn't expecting much. I LOVE Ed's vocals at the end, just going off. There's so much emotion in his voice, it is so beautiful. I can't believe I haven't worn it out yet because I've been listening to it non stop since it came out. It has become my power run song. I start and end my runs with it. I just can't say enough about it, this is an amazing, awesome song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know....I love the song too! :D
  • Force Of Nature ain't bad either!
  • It a great song but for me it doesn't compare to In Hiding or GTF. The latter 2 are very special, my opinion is nothing builds like In Hiding.

Amongst is a bit to mushy for me. The religious undertones are surprising and a bit annoying. "I feel like I have a soul that has been saved" WTF is that?

Speed of Sound, Got Some, Unthought Known are all better than Amongst. But again just my opinion.

You go loving this but just isn't my cup of tea.
  • Force Of Nature ain't bad either!

Yes indeed forgot to mention FON in my rant.
  • Amongst is a bit to mushy for me. The religious undertones are surprising and a bit annoying. "I feel like I have a soul that has been saved" WTF is that?

I agree. It sounds like something Scott Stapp would sing. Still a great song though.
  • What's wrong with religious undertones? Ed's had those before. What's wrong with feeling like your soul has been saved? Anyway, I doubt Ed would call it "religious".

I agree though, it's not In Hiding or GTF. I doubt they'll ever touch those again. This song is great, but not in that stratosphere.
  • jon wrote:
    What's wrong with religious undertones? Ed's had those before. What's wrong with feeling like your soul has been saved? Anyway, I doubt Ed would call it "religious".

I agree though, it's not In Hiding or GTF. I doubt they'll ever touch those again. This song is great, but not in that stratosphere.

It's in my top 10 songs this band has done and rising. GTF is up there near the top but I believe ATW blows away In Hiding quite handily. In Hiding, while a great tune, doesn't touch ATW in my humble opinion.
  • IamBETELIamBETEL Posts: 110
    more like

JOHNNY GUITAR IS SO AMAZING!
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Force Of Nature ain't bad either!

My favourite song off Backspacer. Totally awesome, love Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known as well.
  • lets go swim tonight :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Got Some wrote:
    more like

:lol:
  • It a great song but for me it doesn't compare to In Hiding or GTF. The latter 2 are very special, my opinion is nothing builds like In Hiding.

Amongst is a bit to mushy for me. The religious undertones are surprising and a bit annoying. "I feel like I have a soul that has been saved" WTF is that?

Speed of Sound, Got Some, Unthought Known are all better than Amongst. But again just my opinion.

You go loving this but just isn't my cup of tea.

I guess we all have our interpratations, which is what is awesome about music -- I dont see this as religious at all. You can feel like your sould was saved from any life-altering occurrance, like meeting somebody, having a kid, discovering something important or as simple as surfing. I guess that's just me molding the song into my own experiences that I feel can parrallel the singers.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Got Some wrote:
    more like

Wouldn't that be:

Unthought Known is SO amazing!

?
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • great song...and it's placement in front of Unthought is perfect

live I would always play those two back to back
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    great song...and it's placement in front of Unthought is perfect

live I would always play those two back to back
    True, I think they flow into each other in a Given to Fly / Wishlist kinda way... That make sense?
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz